Galaxy S4 with no voicemail notifications

Kannicka

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
I just recently got the S4 and there are no notifications that show up saying when I have a new voicemail.

Looking at thread similar to this, I thought I could go to Settings > More > application manager > Voicemail and choose "Show notifications" but the check box is greyed out and unclickable.

The only way to see how if you have voicemails is to go into the application, and even this is a few steps behind. For example, if I listened to and erased 5 voicemails yesterday, it wont show that I have 5 voicemails until after I erase them.

friedtators

May 27, 2013
Visit site
are you using any app like google voice?

in the dialer menu....call settings...scroll down...voice-mail
what are your settings?

Kannicka

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
I am using the voicemail app that came standard on the phone.
samsung-galaxy-s-iii-review-verizon-wireless.jpg

Kannicka

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
The settings don't say anything in particular except that i get voicemail service through my carrier, and that it defaults to a ringtone. I don't see anything that would allow me to set a visual notificiation on the lock screen or anywhere else.

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
The settings don't say anything in particular except that i get voicemail service through my carrier, and that it defaults to a ringtone. I don't see anything that would allow me to set a visual notificiation on the lock screen or anywhere else.

Did you ever call your voicemail through the app and activate it. Otherwise it won't work.

Kannicka

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
My voicemail has been activated for a long time through Verizon. Voicemail works fine. My issue is that it doesn't tell me when I have a new voicemail unless I open up the app.

Erica O

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
Here's the solution that worked for me (samsung galaxy s4 verizon):
Call vmail; select option 4 and then 1 to turn vmail notifications on; then send yourself a vmail (or have someone leave one for you) and then in the upper left of your screen (in the black part) you'll see a cassette symbol. When the cassette symbol is on you have a message waiting; when you dont see the cassette symbol you dont have msgs waiting. Call your vmail and delete the new msg and magic the cassette symbol disappears! Hope this works for others!

dannmann

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
Dang, I have this same issue. I followed your instruction; called voicemail, option 4, and then the auto voice only has options 2 or 3, no 1. Any other clues? Are there other voice mail providers that work with Verizon? Thanks...

JessePinkman

Jun 14, 2013
Visit site
As someone with Verizon you're currently making a mistake not setting up your Voicemail through Google Voice. It's 1000x better than the stock Verizon voicemail and even integrates into your phone with visual voicemail like the iPhone. I'm kind of shocked that not everyone is doing this already.

Kannicka

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
I downloaded Google Voice's app which tells me that it is incompatible with my carrier (Verizon). For Verizon users, it gives a set of simple instructions that basically amounts to dialing *71, *72, and *92. This doesn't work to set it up.

Notsosure

May 21, 2013
Visit site
As someone with Verizon you're currently making a mistake not setting up your Voicemail through Google Voice. It's 1000x better than the stock Verizon voicemail and even integrates into your phone with visual voicemail like the iPhone. I'm kind of shocked that not everyone is doing this already.

Verizon customers don't have an option of using Google voice for voicemails.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

JessePinkman

Jun 14, 2013
Visit site
Would I be able to use it with the voice app once its setup through Google voice page?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

Yes, I prefer to set it to work just like the iPhone where you can access the "visual voicemail" right from your missed calls list but I believe it defaults to work on the Voice app.

You get a message saying that you can't set up the voicemail on the phone through Verizon (not sure why) but you can go through the Google Voice webpage and set it up there. It will call you to set up a customized greeting, etc. and then you will be good to go.