Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    26 Global Posts

Default Google Maps Navigation SUCKS

My Navigation on the "Google Maps Beta Navigation" NEVER EVER EVER takes me anywhere. It always says "Searching for GPS" I called Samsung Tech Support and hear this... the technician told me to DOWNLOAD A THIRD PARTY APP because it operates on towers and not satellite.....

What the heck is that? Pissed

Default Re: Google Maps Navigation SUCKS

Not sure why it isn't working for you, it works for me perfectly
    Try using Waze, another GOOD GPS app...if that doesn't work, then its probably your phone, or your location
    - Using the Sony Xperia Z3! -

I love it so much I sold my Garmin.

SHIFT_tapatalk 2 s4 SGH-I377M
    "I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie (THE NEWSROOM, HBO)
    aggie likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by iamchanel View Post
    My Navigation on the "Google Maps Beta Navigation" NEVER EVER EVER takes me anywhere. It always says "Searching for GPS" I called Samsung Tech Support and hear this... the technician told me to DOWNLOAD A THIRD PARTY APP because it operates on towers and not satellite.....

Is location services on?
    Thanked by:
    Gamer_Radar likes this.

Google Maps and Google Navigation work pretty well for me too. GPS lock doesn't take long either.

Quote Originally Posted by iamchanel View Post

huh? just to be sure you do turn on your phone GPS prior to using maps or navigation right? Also make sure your location services is on. Even maps needs permission to use GPS.

to make sure go to settings, accounts, select google, then select location settings, and make sure it is on.
    Nexus 6 (64GB), Moto X 32GB Pure, iPhone 6 Plus Unlocked, OnePlus One (64GB),Xperia Z2, LG G3, Lumia 925 8.1 Cyan, Nexus 5 (32GB), Moto X (32GB), Lumia 1020, Google Edition S4, Galaxy S4 (32GB), S4 Active, Nexus 4, Note 2, Galaxy S3, Galaxy Note (ATT), Galaxy Note Intl., Galaxy S2 Skyrocket, Nexus S, Atrix 2, Atrix, Galaxy S1 Captivate, Nexus 7 (32GB), iPad 4, Dell Venue Pro 8, iPad Air 2
    Thanked by:

Google maps works better for free than my car's $2000 navigation system.

Posted via Android Central App
    Thanked by:
    aggie, 20blks, raziel and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by madlaw1071 View Post
    Google maps works better for free than my car's $2000 navigation system.

smooth4lyfe and trd 4rnr like this.

I had the same issue with my old phone. Try uninstalling the updates. Then let them reinstall.

I also had problems with the voice command not saying street names on my s3. It would just say 'turn right', 'go east'. After I uninstalled the updates, it worked fine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    108 Global Posts

I have the same issue, while your app is open, pull down the notification bar and turn the gps off then back on and it will work fine.

Annoying as all hell, but will make the app see the gps finally

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

I'm in love with Google maps. I justt wanna motorboat my face all over it yeahhhh

GS4 Love

Global Posts
    168 Global Posts

I actually like the maps application. Works good for me.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Quote Originally Posted by FarishK View Post
    LOOL!
    - Using the Sony Xperia Z3! -

Quote Originally Posted by Craneguru View Post
    I had the same issue with my old phone. Try uninstalling the updates. Then let them reinstall.

I also had problems with the voice command not saying street names on my s3. It would just say 'turn right', 'go east'. After I uninstalled the updates, it worked fine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
    I thought that was how Google nav was supposed to work: turn right, go straight for 19 miles them then left. And, in fact, I just bought a Garmin for exactly that reason. Oh, and another reason is that twice in the last year, it gave me dramatically wrong directions at night in cities I'd never been in before. Only two mistakes out of, perhaps, 100+ uses. Not a bad batting average, but terrible for navigation.

Sent from my unrooted 32 GB Polish Samsung Galaxy GT I9300 running 4.1.2.

I love the Google Maps and Navigation. I've never had a problem with the GPS working. The directions have always been excellent. I didn't like the default voice so I downloaded Ivona Text-to-Speech HQ. Its very natural and pleasant to listen to.

Why are you blaming it on Google. Sounds like the GPS in your phone is not working right.

She (OP) went back to iphone a while back...
    Nexus 6 (64GB), Moto X 32GB Pure, iPhone 6 Plus Unlocked, OnePlus One (64GB),Xperia Z2, LG G3, Lumia 925 8.1 Cyan, Nexus 5 (32GB), Moto X (32GB), Lumia 1020, Google Edition S4, Galaxy S4 (32GB), S4 Active, Nexus 4, Note 2, Galaxy S3, Galaxy Note (ATT), Galaxy Note Intl., Galaxy S2 Skyrocket, Nexus S, Atrix 2, Atrix, Galaxy S1 Captivate, Nexus 7 (32GB), iPad 4, Dell Venue Pro 8, iPad Air 2

I agree with you 100%. And the update it's even worse. This is TERRIBLE google.
    Thanked by:
    moosc 
    moosc likes this.

It's not the gps/// It's google.. I have had different phones and ALL give me the same issues.

No issues with my GS3 or GS4. Though sometimes it takes a minute or so for it to lockon

Global Posts
    197 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Eion View Post
    No issues with my GS3 or GS4. Though sometimes it takes a minute or so for it to lockon
    Same here, no problems at all.

Global Posts
    28 Global Posts

A number of folks have had issues with Yahoo! Weather causing a conflict and preventing GPS from working properly with Google Nav. If you have Yahoo! Weather installed, try uninstalling it and trying Google Nav again. If you don't have Yahoo! Weather installed then another app is probably causing a problem. Also possible, but less likely, is an actual hardware problem with the phone.

If everything is working properly you should get a lock in just a few seconds, and Google Nav will start giving you directions.

Global Posts
    168 Global Posts

Yup try removing yahoo weather and see if that fixes the problem I had an issue with that. Once I did that maps works great.

Sent from my SCH-I545

Exclamation Re: Google Maps Navigation SUCKS

I agree....Google Maps is horrible! I loved the Navigation app. It worked nearly flawlessly, was relatively fast and intuitive (i.e.: user-friendly). I received a Google update a couple of weeks ago that replaced the app with Google Maps. Since then, I've nearly crashed while trying to fix the GPS en route. I did not buy a phone and pay for service only to be told what I have to do. I am seriously considering an iPhone or getting an in-car GPS to avoid using this "update" (which is an oxymoron in this case)

Google Maps with satellite view is incredible. It will take me right to the front door of where I'm going... most of the time. Sometimes I find it runs me around odd ways and into the back of a building but it gets me close. My high dollar Garmin Nuvi with always current updated maps is no more accurate. Waze does very well most of the time but is kind of cartoonish. No GPS navigation system I've seen is 100% accurate every time.
    Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast