1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Samsung GS4. Too hot and low battery life?

I purchased GS4 last June 3 and i noticed that even though I am just web browsing, texting, making calls. The GS4 is getting hot, not warm but hot. specifically in the left side of the camera and i feel the hotness when i stick the screen on my ear for phone calls. Also even though I am just web browsing, texting, making calls my Screen On is just 4 hours and 12 mins and the remaining battery is 10%. All settings are off except for Wifi, screen rotation, power saver. Is this normal or not? because i will get it replaced ASAP.

Default Re: Samsung GS4. Too hot and low battery life?

Replace it ASAP!
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Nope. I used it for a day. Removed it at 9am, then at 10pm. Battery is at 10%. And the screen on is just 4 hours and 12 minutes. How to check the temp of the CPU? I can only check the BAT temp, but they are different.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Roberts View Post
    Replace it ASAP!
    you edited your post. lol

Quote Originally Posted by dency45 View Post
    I purchased GS4 last June 3 and i noticed that even though I am just web browsing, texting, making calls. The GS4 is getting hot, not warm but hot. specifically in the left side of the camera and i feel the hotness when i stick the screen on my ear for phone calls. Also even though I am just web browsing, texting, making calls my Screen On is just 4 hours and 12 mins and the remaining battery is 10%. All settings are off except for Wifi, screen rotation, power saver. Is this normal or not? because i will get it replaced ASAP.
    I find that the phone runs warm at times when doing certain things. I wouldn't say hot. That is, I'm in no danger of getting burned if you define that as "hot." Depending on what you mean by "hot," this seems fairly normal and what a lot of folks are reporting. It is my one big concern about longevity of the phone and SD card, especially with a case on. At various times the heat just goes away. That is, it should not be warm ALL the time. At some moments it is, at other moments it is not.

As for the battery--I could see that, maybe so, maybe not. Everyone's configuration and usage differs so it is hard to compare apples to apples, but sometimes stuff is going on, updates and what not and it can drain quickly. Other times not. The screen itself is the big usage in my experience and if you're browsing, that's screen intensive. Brightness can drain it quickly if you're turning up the brightness. You could buy another battery off of Amazon--you should have a spare and a charger anyway--and compare.

Yesterday I was out of town and trying to save battery life. I usually turn everything on--wi-fi, bluetooth, updates, what not. I walked into a meeting around 11 with airplane mode in force and the phone around 97%.. Around 1 or so, I turned everything back on. Minor browsing, on wi-fi, GPS on, some Google maps. Around 330, after an hour or so of ebook reading with MP3s in the background, I was looking down and it was at about 57%.

I don't think it is unique to Samsung to go through batteries quickly if there is a lot of stuff being used. It was worse on the HTC I used to have. Like many others, I find it alternately frustrating and bemusing to hear about all the great features the phones have and be told by the manufacturers about all the great tips for saving batteries that amount to turning everything off and not using it for all the things advertised. The S4 has a fairly large battery for a phone. Battery tech has definitely not caught up to phone tech. I always carry a spare.

Global Posts
    361 Global Posts

How's the signal strength when its heating up? If its low, there's your issue.

Posted via Android Central App

Quote Originally Posted by dency45 View Post
    Nope. I used it for a day. Removed it at 9am, then at 10pm. Battery is at 10%. And the screen on is just 4 hours and 12 minutes. How to check the temp of the CPU? I can only check the BAT temp, but they are different.
    Download this from the playstore to monitor your CPU temp. This is what I use. It's a widget.

8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Quote Originally Posted by monsieurms View Post
    I find that the phone runs warm at times when doing certain things. I wouldn't say hot. That is, I'm in no danger of getting burned if you define that as "hot." Depending on what you mean by "hot," this seems fairly normal and what a lot of folks are reporting. It is my one big concern about longevity of the phone and SD card, especially with a case on. At various times the heat just goes away. That is, it should not be warm ALL the time. At some moments it is, at other moments it is not.

As for the battery--I could see that, maybe so, maybe not. Everyone's configuration and usage differs so it is hard to compare apples to apples, but sometimes stuff is going on, updates and what not and it can drain quickly. Other times not. The screen itself is the big usage in my experience and if you're browsing, that's screen intensive. Brightness can drain it quickly if you're turning up the brightness. You could buy another battery off of Amazon--you should have a spare and a charger anyway--and compare.

Yesterday I was out of town and trying to save battery life. I usually turn everything on--wi-fi, bluetooth, updates, what not. I walked into a meeting around 11 with airplane mode in force and the phone around 97%.. Around 1 or so, I turned everything back on. Minor browsing, on wi-fi, GPS on, some Google maps. Around 330, after an hour or so of ebook reading with MP3s in the background, I was looking down and it was at about 57%.

I don't think it is unique to Samsung to go through batteries quickly if there is a lot of stuff being used. It was worse on the HTC I used to have. Like many others, I find it alternately frustrating and bemusing to hear about all the great features the phones have and be told by the manufacturers about all the great tips for saving batteries that amount to turning everything off and not using it for all the things advertised. The S4 has a fairly large battery for a phone. Battery tech has definitely not caught up to phone tech. I always carry a spare.
    I see. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by jschu22 View Post
    How's the signal strength when its heating up? If its low, there's your issue.

Posted via Android Central App
    The signal is OK.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Quote Originally Posted by maskedcarrot View Post
    Download this from the playstore to monitor your CPU temp. This is what I use. It's a widget.

Displays:
    cpu speed
    cpu load
    batt temp
    ram
    no cpu?

Well i agree but according to AVG my phone was just 115 that is a little hot but that it AVG so I do not know how accurate that is.