1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default notification sounds for email, texts, callers

After looking over the S4 manual I can't find instructions for individualizing notification sounds for specific callers and email versus texts. Surely there is a way to do this. What am I overlooking? On the phone, I can only find a menu for resetting the sound for ALL notifications.

Default Re: notification sounds for email, texts, callers

in the contacts, you can go to each contact and set a ringtone for each one. in the email app, and in the text app, if you hit the menu button and then hit settings, there are options to change the notifications for both.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

thanks. Took care of that quickly for messaging. For Gmail, hitting the menu button takes me to some general settings, but I don't see anything specific for mobile notifications.

For gmail, open the app on the device, hit the menu button, then SETTINGS. You should see a menu with "general" and your email address. Hit the email address. Scroll down to notifications.

You can also put your own custom sounds in the notifications folder on the device if you have any.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Did so. There is no Notifications selection under General Settings

ya as they just said, you have to hit the email address you want to change the settings for, then the option will come up to change the notification
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Thanks. Got it.

Global Posts
    1,068 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by monsieurms View Post
    You can also put your own custom sounds in the notifications folder on the device if you have any.
    Can you put custom notifications on the SD card or does it have to be the internal storage?

I was originally puzzled in that I saw some notification sounds (facebook pop) appeared twice in my list and then realized that was because there was some legacy on the card as well as a new install on the device. There is also a folder on the SD card that says /notifications. In fact, just moved the bulk of them to the card, works perfectly. Of course, if you change cards, they are all gone and suddenly your audible notifications won't work any more.

However, these don't take much space. I have collected over the years various computer sounds and the like that I used to use for sound associations on my desktop. I put 242 of them on the device. They take up a total of 13 megs. You can also put them in the ringtones folders and use them that way, too, if desired and appropriate.

How do I access the notifications from my SD card? I've got all of the sounds I want on the SD card, but when I try to access them for messages or e-mail, they aren't visible. They only show up to be chosen if I copy them to the notifications folder on the phone. Is there no way to select them from the SD card? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by raven4mi View Post
    How do I access the notifications from my SD card? I've got all of the sounds I want on the SD card, but when I try to access them for messages or e-mail, they aren't visible. They only show up to be chosen if I copy them to the notifications folder on the phone. Is there no way to select them from the SD card? Thanks.
    So I answered my own question. Turns out I had to have a folder specifically called "Notifications" on the SD card. Once I created that folder then the music/tones showed up.