S4 Sales Lower Than Expected

GadgetGator

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
Never understand these kinds of debates. The phone that "wins" is the one that works for you. As long as companies are profitable, it really doesn't matter if they sale more or less then a competitor. Honestly, do you worry about such things for other products? Do you insist that the hamburger you eat sales more then the next guy's hamburger?

chrscaley

May 27, 2013
Visit site
Never understand these kinds of debates. The phone that "wins" is the one that works for you. As long as companies are profitable, it really doesn't matter if they sale more or less then a competitor. Honestly, do you worry about such things for other products? Do you insist that the hamburger you eat sales more then the next guy's hamburger?

Completely agree here. Why does anyone besides the people that work for or own these companies or has stock in them care what their sales numbers are? I literally just watched a commercial from apple stating that "more people are still listening to their music on the iPhone than any other phone". Who cares. Htc isn't going anywhere anytime soon and neither is samsung so let it go.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
R u saying 5mi is not bogus? I said this on another thread, but i'll say it again. HTC themselves reported this year's May revenue, and the revenue was ~3% lower than last year's May revenue. Correct me if i'm wrong, HTC had very bad 2012. So then, this year's revenue is actually worse than last year's revenue, how could they have sold 5 mi. If they had sold anywhere close to 5mi HTC ones, they should've had a banner month.

Not necessarily. HTC also has fewer models now than they did last year, so they could still sell 5 million and make less money.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2

Rule9

Banned
Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
S
M
H

I am disappoint. Again.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

I'm just offering my own opinion here but I think the reason so many people get focused on these sales numbers is because they're looking for some kind of validation that they chose the right phone because "everyone else did". Or perhaps there's some small measure of paranoia that if sales aren't overwhelmingly high then that means low future support for their phone. I think it's just a fear and insecurity thing. I've bought plenty of products from companies who's sales weren't spectacular that I was very satisfied and those companies are still here and doing fine.

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
Sometimes I think people forget how expensive these things are. A lot of people just bought the S3 recently. Not everyone can upgrade at $600 a pop every 12 months--nor finds it necessary to do so. For a lot of people, the S5 will be the next phone they get. :)

jdoee100

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site

I'm glad you brought this issue up. thank you.
Say there are two hamburger places right next to each other. The one on the left has few customers, and one on the right has many customers inside. Which one are you gonna go into? I don't know about you, but i'm going to the one on the right. Why? because people seek out good food. I saw some people bringing up Big Mac arguments on other sites(maybe here as well, i don't know), meaning the most burgers sold doesn't make it the best. My answer, Big Mac sells the most because it's one of the best burgers among cheap burgers. Likewise, samsung sells many cheap phones because it makes one of the best cheap phones. Samsung also makes one of the best steaks and sells many steaks, namely the S4.
I know this is not right all the time. There have been cases where the best wasn't necessarily the most popular product. However, these are far and few in between. How do I know? Look around you. Computer, desk, pen you are using, weren't they the best products for the best price for you? People seek out the best products at the best prices. This is why people pay attention to what others are buying. Is it right all the time? no, but most of the time? Yes. It's not written in stone, but it's a good place start.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
The issue with the S4 is it has a big tasty bun, but a small burger. Some like it that way and some do not. For people that live in Verizonland and other similar places, there are no other good burgers for burger fans to choose from. On top of that, we can not move due to our leases, or we like the unlimited toppings we get for our burgers. A lot of us do not want to lose the unlimited toppings. Simple answer is the one burger joint we have to offer a quarter pounder that most will be content with and a half pounder for the customers that want more burger. Buying two quarter pounders will not work, since wasting a lot of bun and more expensive.

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
The issue with the S4 is it has a big tasty bun, but a small hamburger. Some like it that way and some do not. For people that live in Verizonland and other similar places, there are no other good burgers for burger fans to choose from. On top of that, we can not move due to our leases, or we like the unlimited toppings we get for our burgers. A lot of us do not want to lose the unlimited toppings. Simple answer is the one burger joint we have to offer a quarter pounder that most will be content with and a half pounder for the customers that want more burger. Buying two quarter pounders will not work, since wasting a lot of bun and more expensive.

Five guys sounds good for lunch, how bout you?

apollooff320

May 16, 2010
Visit site
well sells were going to flatten out sooner or later. Almost everyone has a smartphone now and the ppl that upgrade the most are Apple's sheep, so Apple may continue to see growth with their phones. It doesn't help Samsung that all the other companies are releasing nice phones also that's not made of plastic.

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
The issue with the S4 is it has a big tasty bun, but a small burger. Some like it that way and some do not. For people that live in Verizonland and other similar places, there are no other good burgers for burger fans to choose from. On top of that, we can not move due to our leases, or we like the unlimited toppings we get for our burgers. A lot of us do not want to lose the unlimited toppings. Simple answer is the one burger joint we have to offer a quarter pounder that most will be content with and a half pounder for the customers that want more burger. Buying two quarter pounders will not work, since wasting a lot of bun and more expensive.

The people living in T-Mobileland and Sprintland also get unlimited toppings...

Sent from my pure Google Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
The people living in T-Mobileland and Sprintland also get unlimited toppings...

Sent from my pure Google Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Have you ever seen anybody order too many toppings on a pizza or burger? It takes 5 times as longer to cook and still can be raw/cold on the inside.

Topgonzo

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
I like the mom and pop hamburger joint where you know who's handling your meat and preparing it.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
That's a blessing and a curse. The reason s4 sales is down besides more competition from HTC this year is the fact that the s3 and note 2 was and or is so good some people didn't find the need to upgrade.

Sent from my Galaxy Victory LTE using Tapatalk 2

This imo.

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Definitely part of it. The S3 still rocks (except the recent crummy update). Factor in a ton of people have unlimited data, they are less inclined to blow big bucks and lose their unlimited for a discount.