My Apps - Auto Update - Always enabling its self without my consent

Paul Evans

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Hello,

I've had my S4 for a couple of days and i've noticed that when ever i restart the phone or swap out battery, as soon as the phone starts again and connects via wifi, it proceeds to update all my out of date apps despite the fact i've told it not too.

Anyone else have this problem?

It's really bloody annoying, is this some sort of way to force us to update apps or just a bug?

A lot of apps get worse with updates, remove features that were once free, introduce new bugs etc, so i only ever update them individually after i've read the recent reviews.

Thankfully i've got a backup of my apps on my old phone in which i migrated from but i would like to see this problem resolved.

Thanks for listening

Paul

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
I think all the apps do that automatically. I don't know about the S4, but all my Android phones have done that (HTC Evo, Evo 3D and my Photon 4G), even when I have set them for manual update and not automatic.
My current phone will normally update the apps by itself every night when I'm already asleep.

Anyway, all this to say that the problem might be the apps and not the phone.

Sent from my Photon 4G that Stupid Motorola will not upgrade to ICS or any other newer form of Android because they're a bunch of stupid lying bastards (and deserve to go to h e ll!) using Android Central Forums

Paul Evans

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Possible, i'm still more inclined to believe it's either a a bug with Play marketplace or a forced new setting from Samsung or Google.

If i can't get a fix i'm just going to custom rom my S4 as i didn't have the same problem on my S2 which was running a 4.2.2 AOKP custom rom.

GMJeff

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
I changed my settings the other day to not update automatically and have not seen this issue.

I get notifications about app updates, but nothing updates without me telling it to.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

nata_panya

Apr 28, 2013
Visit site
You may want to check your Google Play settings and ensure the "auto update apps" feature is changed to "do not auto update apps". But make sure you check the notification option for available updates.

(sounds like your setting is on "auto update over wife only")

Google Play > menu button (to the left of home button) >settings

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
I agree, check your Google Play store settings. I have my auto update turned off and have no problem what so ever.

Tapatalk mofo

Paul Evans

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Guy's i'm a 3 year Android user, i'm not that retarded, trust me, i've unticked it loads of times, when the phone boots up again, the tick is back.

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
Well, like I said before, I have a Photon that acts about the same. So maybe is not the phone. And the OP said he's been using Android for 3 years so... :confused: :banghead: :beer::D

Sent from my Photon 4G that Stupid Motorola will not upgrade to ICS or any other newer form of Android because they're a bunch of stupid lying bastards (and deserve to go to h e ll!) using Android Central Forums

Paul Evans

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Well i've given up fighting it and let it auto update all my apps, not very pleased but at least i have a backup of the apps before they were updated.

I noticed that some of the apps decided to start up with the phone and also randomly open and stay in the background, they were all swiftly uninstalled, i hate it when apps try to take over my phone.

fantom305

May 21, 2011
Visit site
Hello,

I've had my S4 for a couple of days and i've noticed that when ever i restart the phone or swap out battery, as soon as the phone starts again and connects via wifi, it proceeds to update all my out of date apps despite the fact i've told it not too.

Anyone else have this problem?

It's really bloody annoying, is this some sort of way to force us to update apps or just a bug?

A lot of apps get worse with updates, remove features that were once free, introduce new bugs etc, so i only ever update them individually after i've read the recent reviews.

Thankfully i've got a backup of my apps on my old phone in which i migrated from but i would like to see this problem resolved.

Thanks for listening

Paul
Where did you tell them not to ?? in the google play settings or at the setting for each individual app ??

Paul Evans

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
The same way i've always done it, Play, My Apps and untick Auto Update.

I have over 200 apps installed, i'm not going through every single one to make sure they don't auto update, that's insane.

I'm just patiently waiting for Clockwork Recovery to officially support the UK version of the S4, then im roming.

I've noticed a few annoying bugs with the Samsung stock rom, my bluetooth headset doesn't auto connect properly, vibrate and sound enable them selves no matter how often i turn them off, hilarious stuff.

Craabstick

Jun 14, 2013
Visit site
Just rebooted my Galaxy Tab with ICS on it tonight and its doing the same thing, ive always had auto update apps turned off in the play store. went and checked tonight, still turned off and each app even ones that have been updating have auto update unticked

Even after a couple of restarts the peasant thing keeps updating and accepting new permissions on my behalf, half of them have changed permissions that I would not normally accept. Ive turned it off for now til I find a fix... may have to go custom rom

Paul Evans

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
It's unfortunate to see other people having similar problems.

I love Android OS but manufacturers are just bloating it out and ruining it, i'm glad Google are taking on the S4 and doing a version of it with just their stock OS, if i would of known about that, i would of waited.

I have a Google Nexus 7 and it runs very nice with very little bloatware, i haven't even bothered to rom it as there's really little need.

Craabstick

Jun 14, 2013
Visit site
well, I found a temporary fix, I uninstalled the google play services and all updates to google play, that seems to have stopped it for now.

This is something i would expect from apple

Andris Green

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site
re: updates apps without consent

go to play store hit bottom left on phone bringing up a menu with settings - touch on "Auto update apps" turn it off - had the same problem

Munkyheed

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
I've seen the same thing on my S3 as well. The main reason I wanted it switched off is because I'd like to see what is contained in the updates before I commit to download.

As I've given fighting with my phone settings now, I'd like to know if it's possible to see what is contained in each individual update AFTER it's installed, or is it a case of manually finding the app in the Store and seeing what the latest version changes are?

tbessie

Jun 15, 2012
Visit site
I have a Galaxy Nexus, and this auto-update setting reversion (i.e. I set it to NOT auto-update, and then that setting reverts to "auto update over wifi" without me setting it that way) has been happening at least since Android 4.2, perhaps earlier.

The phone just updated to Android 4.3, and it reset itself to that setting again as well.

So a Nexus phone with the latest Android version and it still happens.

I believe Google knows this happens and WANTS it to happen (i.e. they consider it a "feature", and, more cynically, they want to force your phone to have all the latest versions of apps (especially their own) whether you want it to or not). I think they are just ignoring user complaints about this.

- Tim

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
I have a Galaxy Nexus, and this auto-update setting reversion (i.e. I set it to NOT auto-update, and then that setting reverts to "auto update over wifi" without me setting it that way) has been happening at least since Android 4.2, perhaps earlier.

The phone just updated to Android 4.3, and it reset itself to that setting again as well.

So a Nexus phone with the latest Android version and it still happens.

I believe Google knows this happens and WANTS it to happen (i.e. they consider it a "feature", and, more cynically, they want to force your phone to have all the latest versions of apps (especially their own) whether you want it to or not). I think they are just ignoring user complaints about this.

- Tim

I think you're right! :banghead:

Sent From a Galaxy S4 Away!

Ace7772

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
long time iPhone user here, just got my s4. Like everything except this auto update crap, the setting is there to disable it but it still updates the apps by it self. I only have a dozen or so apps, I can't imagine having tons of apps (like what I have on my iPhone) this issue alone makes me want to switch back to iPhone. It drains the battery while its doing its update, change all the settings back to defaults like its the first time I installed the app.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21