Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    112 Global Posts

Default Mms won't work when wifi enabled

I am on Verizon. It looks like it is a known problem that mms with photos attached won't send if you have wifi enabled. As soon as I disable it the message will go. Otherwise it will spin its wheels for a while before failing. Any better workaround than manually turning off wifi when I use mms?

Default Re: Mms won't work when wifi enabled

Verizon struggles with messaging. Cellular is required. Most gsm phones can do both to send receive
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    112 Global Posts

To be clear it won't work with 4G and wifi enabled, only with 4G on.

Global Posts
    8 Global Posts

Why though? I never had that problem with my iPhone.

Makes no sense I have this same issue.
    My former 3G phone would send,forward,receive text and MMS messages without any issue and I did NOT have a data plan, nor was any data used in the transfer.
    For some reason, my S4 will not receive MMS when only WIFI is enabled. I have to turn on mobile data, and from the little icon it appears it is using my DATA PLAN to receive MMS messages which are supposed to be "unlimited" so am I being cheated here or what? It's AT&T if that matters.

Same here I had an iPhone 4 before with no issues but now w/ the GS4 it won't send over wifi....i thought it was the messaging app I was using but it is not.

Posted via Android Central App

Quote Originally Posted by APeter001 View Post
    Makes no sense I have this same issue.
    My former 3G phone would send,forward,receive text and MMS messages without any issue and I did NOT have a data plan, nor was any data used in the transfer.
    For some reason, my S4 will not receive MMS when only WIFI is enabled. I have to turn on mobile data, and from the little icon it appears it is using my DATA PLAN to receive MMS messages which are supposed to be "unlimited" so am I being cheated here or what? It's AT&T if that matters.
    No the data from the MMS isn't suppose to go against the cap.. It just uses their network to pull it down.

Sent from my T-Mobile HTC One using AC Forums.
    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

That's odd...I'm on wifi and 4g (verizon) and I just sent my wife an MMS with no problem

I wonder if its Att only doing this.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ditty View Post
    I wonder if its Att only doing this.
    Can't say about the S4 but my ATT S3 and Atrix2 both do MMS just fine with WiFi active as long as cellular data is not disabled.

And data used by MMS is excluded from normal data so it doesn't come out of your data plan--separate charges/plan for sms/mms.

I'm on Optus in Australia and have the same issue...at least I did - now I cant receive mms regardless of my settings a good 60% of the time, but I think thats a network issue...
    My sister on an S3 has the exact same issue as well, has to turn off her wifi to receive any MMS!

this has been an issue i've been experimenting with for some time now....

iphones and androids are completely different phones, first of all.
    second, whether you are sprint/verizon/metropcs doesnt matter, as it depends on your kernel/ROM.

i switch between ROMs daily, and i've come across this problem plenty of times on the HTC Evo 4G, Evo 3D, Galaxy S2 and S3, and the G2. Some ROMs i've tried allow me to use 3G/4G data while connected to wifi - others allow either wifi OR data. i've also used a ROM on the Evo 4G that allowed me to send MMS messages over wifi (it was a mod, not an app). i've just knocked out the possibility of the problem being the radio, so that leaves the kernel and/or ROM as being the only plausible causes.. in my opinion, of course.