Galaxy S4 battery drain??

Karina Arely

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
I recently bought my s4, 6 days ago to ve exact. Everything works great on the phone when im using it battery life is good too. But last night before I went to bed I disconnected it from its charger as it was already 100 percent and turned off all apps (turned off as in push the middle button for a long time untill all recent apps appear) I turned them off because I felt the phone a bit too hot and thats also why I disconnected it. Anyways this morning it was completely off ans I had to plug it back on because it was on 0% battery. It has gone before 12 hours without charging and this time it lasted may be 4 hrs. Help please?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I recently bought my s4, 6 days ago to ve exact. Everything works great on the phone when im using it battery life is good too. But last night before I went to bed I disconnected it from its charger as it was already 100 percent and turned off all apps (turned off as in push the middle button for a long time untill all recent apps appear) I turned them off because I felt the phone a bit too hot and thats also why I disconnected it. Anyways this morning it was completely off ans I had to plug it back on because it was on 0% battery. It has gone before 12 hours without charging and this time it lasted may be 4 hrs. Help please?

Welcome to the forums!

Something we need to see is some screenshots of your battery stats. Settings>Battery>screenshot, then, click on the graph on top and take a screenshot of that.

Kedar

May 3, 2010
Visit site
I didn't know that's how the wifi signal looked like.
Are you tethering or something? That's really odd battery life.

TheyStoleMyName

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site

Sounds like it is defective. The phines should not drain that much battery while sitting idle for 12 hours. Thats considered standby time. It should last days like that. Try a master reset amd if it doesnt fix the problem then id get it replaced.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Android Central Forums

Colonels

May 1, 2013
Visit site
did you install and new apps or widgets right before this drain happened? i found that certain widgets make the system hang sometimes it is very hard to track down.
another thing to try is removing battery for a few minutes and then powering back up, some reason the battery out is better than a reboot.

Gunner198

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
This issue is due to the new update/patch Samsung rolled out. I got my phone before the update and it went all day with heavy use. Did the update and the phone got hot and crushed the battery. It is not the signal. Mine drains in 5 hours on Airplane Mode and no activity! Sprint replaced my battery-no help. Took it back and they said the new update was killing battery life and reception on some, but not all, S4 models. They said there is nothing they can do. Just wait for Samsung to roll out another patch and get a big, bulky extended life battery in the meantime! Damn I was this close to getting the HTC One and now I wish I had. At least I could carry the phone for half the day without it dying.

AshManMB

Jan 25, 2012
Visit site
If you got it 6 days ago make them replace the phone then. if they wont then return it and purchase another one. you should be well within the return period..

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
If you got it 6 days ago make them replace the phone then. if they wont then return it and purchase another one. you should be well within the return period..

This ^
I got my GS4 on July 1, the battery life was really bad, so I exchanged it on July 6. I got the newest update on this second Galaxy, so far no problem.

Sent From a Galaxy S4 Away

Aggie PT

Jun 19, 2011
Visit site
This issue is due to the new update/patch Samsung rolled out. I got my phone before the update and it went all day with heavy use. Did the update and the phone got hot and crushed the battery. It is not the signal. Mine drains in 5 hours on Airplane Mode and no activity! Sprint replaced my battery-no help. Took it back and they said the new update was killing battery life and reception on some, but not all, S4 models. They said there is nothing they can do. Just wait for Samsung to roll out another patch and get a big, bulky extended life battery in the meantime! Damn I was this close to getting the HTC One and now I wish I had. At least I could carry the phone for half the day without it dying.

This happened to me on Sprint too after the update while my wife's is fine. I did a hard reset which helped but it's not as good as before the update.

Posted via Android Central App

Aggie PT

Jun 19, 2011
Visit site
This ^
I got my GS4 on July 1, the battery life was really bad, so I exchanged it on July 6. I got the newest update on this second Galaxy, so far no problem.

Are you saying your first s4 battery became worse after the update and the new one has no problem? If so, I may need to exchange mine.

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
Are you saying your first s4 battery became worse after the update and the new one has no problem? If so, I may need to exchange mine.

No, my first GS4 didn't get the newest update (MF9).
But when I did the factory reset it said there was a new update, but it wasn't the MF9 update.

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
I really Need Help! I bought Samsung Galaxy S4 (GT-I9500, Made in Vietnam) from Kogan in August then I left Australia and going to live overseas for a while. For last 4 days I am experiencing really strange battery draining issue. My phones battery drains down to 0% (mentioning battery critically low) and turns off by itself. This happened almost everyday for last few days even when my phone battery had over 85% or 60% or 40% charge left. After took the battery out of the phone and then re-inserted and re-booted, it still shows battery critically low. Then I did a factory reset on my device and I am still experiencing the same problem. It is also important to note that, yesterday after the phone turned off by itself by showing battery critically low (in reality it had over 85% charge left), I left it off for a while without plugging it in for charge. Then I turned it on again after a while, and the the phone rebooted fine and was working fine with almost 70% charge. I have been using this phone for only 2 months and I take really good care of my phone. I am not really sure what the problem is and now that I cant send it back to Kogan, I am really worried and frustrated. Is there any way to solve this problem or any suggestions. PLEASE KINDLY HELP!!!!! :(