How to find out if my Galaxy S4 is unlocked?

carlostmac1

May 30, 2013
Visit site
So i traded my iphone 5 for a s4 last night and he said that the phone was for att and unlocked. Is there anyway i can confirm this without having to look for a tmobile sim card to test?

Last edited by a moderator:

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Re: How to find out if my S4 is unlocked?

No offense, but I wouldn't trust an app for this. The SAFEST way for you to tell and not have any surprises when you try to use it is to just pop a different carrier SIM and make sure it works, as long as it's not an AT&T, even if the network bands are different (you just want to check if by reading a different SIM your phone won't lock up).

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site

No offense, but I wouldn't trust an app for this. The SAFEST way for you to tell and not have any surprises when you try to use it is to just pop a different carrier SIM and make sure it works, as long as it's not an AT&T, even if the network bands are different (you just want to check if by reading a different SIM your phone won't lock up).

Agreed. But since the OP asked how to do without, just offering solutions to the actual question. There are plenty sites to do IMEI verification on whether a phone is blacklisted or not and this is a reputable one and they power the app. So I don't see a huge risk but I agree that the safest way is to try another SIM.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site

Remember, it does not have to be an active SIM from T mobile. I have an old inactive on of my wife that I cut down to micro SIM size and it works fine to unlock my ATT phone. I just used it to unlock my S4. I guess since you can use them for emergency calls they can still acquire the Network. Try to get an old T mobile one to keep handy.

There is probably also a key code you can enter into the dialer but I do not know it.

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site

dinub1

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site

When I power my Galaxy S4 it shows an unlocked lock icon. Is that the proof that my phone is unlocked? I rooted it earlier, not sure if rooted/unlocked stands for the same thing. Thanks.

terena1

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site

Ive checked this app AND the website as well but it DOES NOT give you any info on whether the phone is locked on unlocked.

reallyDumbfounded

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site

It tried the *#7465625# and all I get is USSD Code running then a window pops up and states "Connection Problem or invalid MMI code" My phone is genuine it has Samsung as the secureboot mode and IMEI checks out. Thanks

kerrins

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site

That means your phone is rooted. It does not indicate if it is unlocked from the carrier.

Ian Fritchy

Feb 3, 2014
Visit site

hey guys.... my friend broke her screen and digitizer and wants me to replace it to sell to one of her friends... its a t-mobile phone (or originally was) and the buyer has StraightTalk... how do i check to see if the phone is unlocked before making the buyer spend $230 for me to fix the digitizer if it was all for naught?

electricpete

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site

When I power my Galaxy S4 it shows an unlocked lock icon. Is that the proof that my phone is unlocked? I rooted it earlier, not sure if rooted/unlocked stands for the same thing. Thanks.
Rooted and unlocked are two different things.
Rooted gives you more control of your phone.
Unlocked means you can use it with any carrier that has compatible bands.
The broken lock during boot usually indicates Rooted.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

vishal khatri

Mar 1, 2014
Visit site

guys using gt i9505 on india my carrier is vodafone so ow do i check??? i checked the aap but it says phone model not supported...so...?????

Jay M3

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
I know this doesn't answer your question as to how to check if your phone is unlocked, BUT ...

This information allows you to unlock ANY Samsung Galaxy S4 for FREE (i'm not a ****, im not going to ask you for money to do it, i'll just tell you it's pretty easy).

Unlocking Samsung Galaxy S4
1) Dial *#0011#
2) Press Menu Button --> Back Key --> Menu Button (again) --> Select KEY INPUT --> Enter 1, press OK (This will enter ServiceMode!)
3) Press Menu Button --> Tap Back Again --> This Pulls Up Main Menu for ServiceMode --> Tap [1] UMTS
4) Select [1] DEBUG SCREEN --> [6] PHONE CONTROL
5) Next screen pick [6] NETWORK LOCK
6) Choose [3] PERSO SHA256 OFF
7) Go back to main meny (hit menu button followed by back key a few time's until option 6 says COMMON) --> Pick [6] COMMON --> [6] NV REBUILD
8) Phone will say a 'Golden Backup' exists, tap [4] Restore Back-up

Your device will now go through a series of “conditions”, where it will first appear to freeze, then get on a black screen with Blue LED on and both capacitive buttons on, after which it will reboot automatically. The whole cycle might take a couple of minutes, so be patient. Once it powers back on, it’s network unlocked, permanently.

I didn't make that up, try it, I promise it will unlock a Samsung Galaxy S4.

You're welcome :)

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I've never seen such a useless thread full of misinformation. The ONLY way to see if a phone is unlocked (without being a systems analyst and having the phone rootd) is to put in a SIM for a carrier other than the one it's supposed to be locked to. The lock does only 1 thing - it rejects SIMs not from the carrier it's locked to, so if it doesn't reject a SIM from another carrier, it's not locked - by definition. No other information (other than the little spot in storage that tells the phone what carrier it's locked to - and if you can't read code like you can read a children's book, you're not going to find it in 10 years) will tell you if the phone is locked or unlocked.

@Alan Wang:
"The section of lock" is a few bytes in storage with data that only makes sense to the program using it. Would you like to tell us where it is, and how to decode it? I'd really love to learn that. (After 40 years of writing software for a living, I still wouldn't like to spend a few weeks looking for it.)