Just brought my new S4 :-)

dave25A

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
So i gave in and just brought my new Samsung Galaxy S4, at this very moment it is on charge. Is there anything you guys recommend i do first? i've come from the iPhone 4S.
Anti virus? any apps i should download? any settings i should turn or off? i'm basically looking for some guidance as a new Andriod/S4 user.

weblou

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
Welcome Dave.
Congrats on the new phone :). Don't turn off anything at first. suggest you use and play with your device. if you get any lag or issues then you'll find plenty of tips and tricks on the here to help you
If you download from the play store you don't need an Anti-Virus... but i still have Lookout installed

dave25A

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
Welcome Dave.
Congrats on the new phone :). Don't turn off anything at first. suggest you use and play with your device. if you get any lag or issues then you'll find plenty of tips and tricks on the here to help you
If you download from the play store you don't need an Anti-Virus... but i still have Lookout installed

Thank you :) at the moment the phone is saying 100% charged, should i leave it on charge or take it off? i know the old phone batteries required you to leave them on charge for around 5-8 hours. Not sure about the battery that is in the Samsung S4. And yes i only intend to download apps from the Google play store and or the Samsung store. Not set my phone up yet, i literally brought it and put it on charge when i got home.

swent1

May 19, 2013
Visit site
So i gave in and just brought my new Samsung Galaxy S4, at this very moment it is on charge. Is there anything you guys recommend i do first? i've come from the iPhone 4S.
Anti virus? any apps i should download? any settings i should turn or off? i'm basically looking for some guidance as a new Andriod/S4 user.

Congrats! Enable developer settings and turn off the three animations. Will make the phone a bit faster. H9pefully you turned off your iMessage lol

Sent from my SGH-I337M using AC Forums mobile app

mhunter6378

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Congrats on the new phone!!! when the battery is charged to 100% you're good to go. It will take about a week of use and charge / discharge cycles for the battery to settle in, at least that has been my experience anyway. If you haven't installed anything or done any set up at this point, some would recommend a master reset before you do. A lot of users do that straight out of the box. I didn't but ended up doing one later because of some slowdown with mine. I attribute that to installing and uninstalling lots of apps until I settled on what I really wanted. Mine was trouble free out of the box and I'm sure the slowdown was user related not any fault of the phone. There are several good antivirus apps if you feel the need, Lookout, AVG and Avast to name a few. I settled on Avast, it seemed to be what I what looking for in an app. Anyway enjoy it.

cmcfarland

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
How do you enable it and turn off animations? I'm using Nova if that matters

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using AC Forums mobile app

raziel

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Not directly from your carrier but if you keep up with the ROM scene, the updates are lightyears ahead of the carrier.

swent1

May 19, 2013
Visit site
How do you enable it and turn off animations? I'm using Nova if that matters

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using AC Forums mobile app

I forget the exact way, I believe you go to about device in settings, to the build number, and I think you tap the build number seven times... I could be wrong though.. Then an extra option shows up under more options in settings called developer options. There are three animations in the options that you can shut off and it speeds up the phone :) easy to find on the I terne6, just search s4 developer options lol

Sent from my SGH-I337M using AC Forums mobile app

jsuns

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site

I'd download something like AVG or Lookout as an antivirus protector. You may also want to download a different keyboard - Swiftkey or the Google keyboard are excellent. One of the neat things about Android vs. iOS is the ability to use widgets and live wallpapers, so I'd recommend something like Beautiful Widgets for a customizable clock/weather widget and some live wallpapers like A Liquid Cloud and Origami. You may also want to play around with the WatchOn app and set it up for use in various rooms in your house, since it can control TVs, DVRs, DVD/Blu-Ray players, receivers, etc. Play around with the Samsung software like Smart Stay, Air View, and Smart Scroll and see if you want to keep them enabled or not.

dave25A

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
I have set up the phone and had a play around for a few moments, also downloaded an update that came up. Is it normal for the battery to drop from 100% to 92 that quick? i've had wifi on and set up a few things. Also to preserve battery life do i need to shut down apps after using them? like with the iPhone, if so how?

mhunter6378

May 15, 2013
Visit site
That big 5 inch screen needs power, so yes seeing battery percentage drop after long screen on time is not unusual. Press and hold the home button to bring up the multi tasking window. There you can swipe away individual apps or clear them all with the button on the lower right (it's horizontal lines with an X). I have found that based on what I do normally I can get 3 to 4 hours on screen time in an average day of about 14 to 15 hours before charging.

jsuns

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
I have set up the phone and had a play around for a few moments, also downloaded an update that came up. Is it normal for the battery to drop from 100% to 92 that quick? i've had wifi on and set up a few things. Also to preserve battery life do i need to shut down apps after using them? like with the iPhone, if so how?

Some things you can do to conserve battery power:
You can turn off auto-brightness and just set it to something comfortable for your eyes.
You can enable Power-saving mode, which will limit the processor somewhat.
You can turn off all of the Samsung apps like Smart Stay, S voice, etc.
You can disable location services and only turn it on when you need it for an app or Maps.
You can download an app from the Play store called BatteryGuru, which will help to turn off data and services when you're not using them.

dave25A

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
Some things you can do to conserve battery power:
You can turn off auto-brightness and just set it to something comfortable for your eyes.
You can enable Power-saving mode, which will limit the processor somewhat.
You can turn off all of the Samsung apps like Smart Stay, S voice, etc.
You can disable location services and only turn it on when you need it for an app or Maps.
You can download an app from the Play store called BatteryGuru, which will help to turn off data and services when you're not using them.

Ok thank you for the advice, it might be because i've got all the features turned on to try them as well as the internet.

dave25A

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
I have noticed that there are a couple of icons in the top left hand corner of the screen, however i'm not sure how to get rid of these :-/

jtphenom

May 27, 2013
Visit site
I have noticed that there are a couple of icons in the top left hand corner of the screen, however i'm not sure how to get rid of these :-/
You're probably referring to your notifications. You view your notifications by swiping from the top of the screen downward. Then you will see the whole list. You can get rid of them by either touching them to go to the app that sent the notification, or you can swipe each notification to the left to get rid of it.

OhAlfie

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site

So where did you bring it?? :)

dave25A

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
You're probably referring to your notifications. You view your notifications by swiping from the top of the screen downward. Then you will see the whole list. You can get rid of them by either touching them to go to the app that sent the notification, or you can swipe each notification to the left to get rid of it.

Yea I was lol. Yea I've done that and they disappeared. Does it take a while for the battery to settle in? I'm on 54% At the moment.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci