Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 34 of 34
Like Tree5Likes
  1. #26  
    schmoli's Avatar

    Posts
    7 Posts
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts

    Default Re: Just installed Cyanogen mod on my GS4

    CM was nice on my S3 with RC 3,4, and 5. I'm waiting for something a little more stable, esp if there are GPS issues. Basically if I can have camera, GPS (for running), and a fast UI, i'm happy.
  2. #27  

    Default Re: Just installed Cyanogen mod on my GS4

    Quote Originally Posted by paintdrinkingpete View Post
    "Well, that's just like, your opinion, man"

    I think a blanket statement such as "Touchwiz sucks" is erroneous. As you touched on, many of the advertised features of the phone are part of it. I realize that many folks prefer a more "vanilla" Android experience (though depending on your carrier, you could argue why you would choose a GS4 over a Nexus 4 if that is the case), but a lot folks buy the S4 because it is the flagship device with all the bells and whistles. Granted some had more unexpected issues with laggy-ness than they expected, no argument there, and depending on your comfort level with flashing ROMs and your desired experience with the phone, running CM may be a great suggestion...but it's not going to be the desired or even feasible solution for everyone.

    I decided to go a different route. I actually like a lot of the Touchwiz features, but also want my phone running as optimized as possible, so what I did is installed CleanROM, which is touchwiz based but with all the Samsung (and, in my case, Verizon) bloatware removed. I then added back the "bloated" components that I personally desired to have on the phone, installed NOVA launcher, and froze/disabled anything else I don't want or need, such as various "motion" settings and so forth. What I'm left with a great device with no noticeable lag, great battery life*, yet still has all features of TW I wanted in the first place (like the camera). Now, CleanROM isn't available for all S4 models, I think it's only available for AT&T and Verizon S4(?), but my point is that there are other options out there, and Touchwiz as a whole doesn't need to be completely shunned. Perhaps Samsung didn't get it completely right out of the box, but I also don't feel like crippling my device to the point where I'm sacrificing features that attracted me to it in the first place.

    FYI -- I've owned several Nexus devices in the past, and currently own a Nexus 10 tablet, so I do understand the great experience that "vanilla" Android can provide. Nothing against them, in fact I've thoroughly enjoyed most of those devices...but if that's what I wanted with my current phone, I would have bought a Nexus 4...just my opinion.

    *This past weekend, came close 48 hours on single charge, with moderate use.
    Do you need to unlock the bootloader before flashing CleanRom?
  3. #28  

    Default Re: Just installed Cyanogen mod on my GS4

    The camera may be worse because it's missing the same software tweaks, and the synergy between that and the hardware. But regardless, that great camera hardware is there. The s4 on AOSP roms still takes damn good pictures, i'll throw some up if anyone wants me to.
  4. #29  

    Default Re: Just installed Cyanogen mod on my GS4

    Quote Originally Posted by schmoli View Post
    CM was nice on my S3 with RC 3,4, and 5. I'm waiting for something a little more stable, esp if there are GPS issues. Basically if I can have camera, GPS (for running), and a fast UI, i'm happy.
    Yep. As long as the same function as the S3 works, I could care less about all the new sensors. Stable device though is key and correctly functioning GPS.
  5. #30  

    Default Re: Just installed Cyanogen mod on my GS4

    Quote Originally Posted by JLeung1 View Post
    Do you need to unlock the bootloader before flashing CleanRom?
    Short answer is "yes", but not exactly...As I have the Verizon version, technically the bootloader is not unlockable (at this time), but I did have to go through the entire rooting process and install Loki'd recovery. This would be similar on AT&T version.

    [GUIDE] Root for Verizon Galaxy S4 ***Updated 6/5*** - xda-developers
  6. #31  

    Default Re: Just installed Cyanogen mod on my GS4

    do you have any issues with icons on the navigation bar getting accidently pressed cause of how close to the home button it is?
  7. #32  

    Default Re: Just installed Cyanogen mod on my GS4

    Quote Originally Posted by paintdrinkingpete View Post
    I decided to go a different route. I actually like a lot of the Touchwiz features, but also want my phone running as optimized as possible, so what I did is installed CleanROM, which is touchwiz based but with all the Samsung (and, in my case, Verizon) bloatware removed. I then added back the "bloated" components that I personally desired to have on the phone, installed NOVA launcher, and froze/disabled anything else I don't want or need, such as various "motion" settings and so forth. What I'm left with a great device with no noticeable lag, great battery life*, yet still has all features of TW I wanted in the first place (like the camera). Now, CleanROM isn't available for all S4 models, I think it's only available for AT&T and Verizon S4(?), but my point is that there are other options out there, and Touchwiz as a whole doesn't need to be completely shunned. Perhaps Samsung didn't get it completely right out of the box, but I also don't feel like crippling my device to the point where I'm sacrificing features that attracted me to it in the first place.
    I think Clean Rom is the best solution for most S 4 or Note users even though I also think Touchwiz sucks. Interested to try Cyanogen mod though. But I need to research it carefully to be sure it is a good idea.

    - - - Updated - - -

    How much space do you have on internal memory with CM installed?

    Quote Originally Posted by willthetech View Post
    So i did it...Just flashed my GS4 with latest build of cyanogen. I was worry but it went very smoothly... If you are having issues adapting to touch wiz lagging like I was coming from iPhone5, this is the solution. Lag is completely gone, even typing is heaven again. Everything runs so smooth and fast...Really changed my view on android for sure.
    iPhone 5s-Verizon
    Moto X Verizon
    Nexus 7 2013
    Nexus 10
    iPad Air-Verizon
  8. #33  

    Default Re: Just installed Cyanogen mod on my GS4

    Ive been looking for just this kind of info. Knew the camera was not as good. Do you have solutions? Better camera app?
  9. #34  

    Default Re: Just installed Cyanogen mod on my GS4

    Can anyone walk me through the process for verizon? Also, what are the pros and cons? Im new to android but love it so far!

    Posted via Android Central App
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-21-2012, 06:41 PM
  2. Just rooted and installed CWM..Install Cyanogen Mod 7.2 now?
    By dt81 in forum Epic 4G Touch Rooting, ROMs, and Hacks
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-20-2012, 09:00 PM
  3. Cyanogen mod on Inspire
    By HeavyArms504 in forum AT&T Inspire 4G
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-28-2011, 10:15 PM
  4. cyanogen mod on evo
    By Flip in forum HTC EVO 4G Rooting, ROMs, and Hacks
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-15-2011, 07:42 PM
  5. i just love to record on my EVO
    By Flip in forum The Android Central Lounge
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-17-2011, 11:11 PM

Posting Permissions