SD Card Question

Marck527

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys, I just registered to this forum :D

I have a question, I just recently ordered a Samsung Galaxy S4 i9500 and it should be arriving tomorrow.
I also already own a Samsung 32 GB Class 10 SD Card. My question is do I need to format my SD card on the phone itself first?
or can I copy all my music, videos and pictures on the card now on my computer and just pop it in tomorrow and the phone will read it?
BTW , I already formatted the card in NTFS. (btw which format should use ?).

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Welcome to Androidcentral and the forums!

Format the sd card (FAT32) then transfer the files. It's best to start with a fresh sd card rather than having issues then formatting it once you have all your files on it. if you have any questions let us know.

Marck527

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to Androidcentral and the forums!

Format the sd card (FAT32) then transfer the files. It's best to start with a fresh sd card rather than having issues then formatting it once you have all your files on it. if you have any questions let us know.

So if i format it (FAT32) and copied all my stuff on it now using my computer, it shouldn't ask to be formatted again when i put it on my phone when i get it? thanks :)

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
So if i format it (FAT32) and copied all my stuff on it now using my computer, it shouldn't ask to be formatted again when i put it on my phone when i get it? thanks :)

That's correct. If in doubt, place everything into a file on the computer ready for transfer then format on the phone and transfer the files.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
Not to make it more complicated for OP but just wondering...

Why not ExFat, which allows you to transfer files (HD Movies) over 4GB. I sync my S4 to my HomeTheater using the MHL HDMI adapter.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Not to make it more complicated for OP but just wondering...

Why not ExFat, which allows you to transfer files (HD Movies) over 4GB. I sync my S4 to my HomeTheater using the MHL HDMI adapter.

I've read a few threads in exfat and it looks like some people are having issues. I'm not sure if it's a format issue, sd card brand or size issue. You're right though, the Fat32 format has a 4gb cap, which could be problematic for transferring large files.

fantom305

May 21, 2011
Visit site
I don't know about any one else...but ...this is what I have always done....... I format the SD card in my phone and then transfer everything I need ..... I have used it in the computer after that and it works fine ..... no problem whatsoever ........

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
I've read a few threads in exfat and it looks like some people are having issues. I'm not sure if it's a format issue, sd card brand or size issue. You're right though, the Fat32 format has a 4gb cap, which could be problematic for transferring large files.

I get an error message saying it's damaged whenever I restart or remove the card but was told to ignore it. After inserting it, just unmount and remount it.

I don't know what Samsung changed with the S4 but Note 2 & S3 never had this problem.