New to Galaxy(and android) - Must Have Basic Apps?

Daniel Jumper

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I'm new to android and the galaxy and I could use some tips! I'm looking for good app suggestions. I'm a tech savvy fellow not looking for media, social media, or games, but rather the best basic functionality or utility apps you know about.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I'm new to android and the galaxy and I could use some tips! I'm looking for good app suggestions. I'm a tech savvy fellow not looking for media, social media, or games, but rather the best basic functionality or utility apps you know about.

Welcome to the forums, and Android!!

I like Google's apps more than I do Samsung's. Keep is a note taking app. I really like that over SMemo. This one may sound strange, but I have Google Calendar as well. I use Samsung's to look at my events, but use Google to add them. Why? Because Google makes adding an event much simpler. Samsung adds too many details, and the default is always the Samsung Calendar. Yes you can shift it to Google, but there is no changing of defaults.
Other than that the only other productivity app I can suggest if Kingsoft Office. That app allows for editing documents you have on your device. You can then transfer any document to your phone, and while the stock program opens it, Kingsoft allows for changing anything you want.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi everyone,

Get yourself a file explorer. A "must have" for rooted users, I highly advise for non-rooted users as well. There are several out there, but one of my favorites is ES File Explorer. As you claim to be "tech savvy", you know that sometimes just accepting app defaults for file storage locations can leave you wondering, "where the hell is that file?!?". Allows you to quickly see the contents of your storage and move/copy/delete files as needed, also has a download manager which can allow you download files to directories other than the default "downloads" folder in your internal storage.

Also, I don't like to blindly recommend rooting for everyone. For one, there's always the possibility of voiding the warranty, but also it requires a lot more hands-on attention when it comes to device management. For some, that's a good thing, for others, a genuine nuisance. None the less, if you are technically inclined, it is at least a subject I'd recommend researching to see if it may be something you're interested in.

Kedar

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Google Maps is a MUST. I don't know if it came preinstalled or if I installed it, but you should download that.
Chrome is a great browser replacement. If not that, then I use Dolphin Browser.
Swiftkey, as someone said. Best keyboard out imo.
Night Clock works well with GS4 because of amoled display. It makes your phone really look like an alarm clock.

Some other fun/useful apps: Barcode Scanner, Google Earth, Google Sky (or something like that), GasBuddy, Shazam, Chrome to Phone (easy to switch from browser to phone this way), and some others I used to have but forgot.

Also, get Nova Launcher. It won't disappoint.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Get yourself a file explorer. A "must have" for rooted users, I highly advise for non-rooted users as well. There are several out there, but one of my favorites is ES File Explorer. As you claim to be "tech savvy", you know that sometimes just accepting app defaults for file storage locations can leave you wondering, "where the hell is that file?!?". Allows you to quickly see the contents of your storage and move/copy/delete files as needed, also has a download manager which can allow you download files to directories other than the default "downloads" folder in your internal storage.

Also, I don't like to blindly recommend rooting for everyone. For one, there's always the possibility of voiding the warranty, but also it requires a lot more hands-on attention when it comes to device management. For some, that's a good thing, for others, a genuine nuisance. None the less, if you are technically inclined, it is at least a subject I'd recommend researching to see if it may be something you're interested in.

I am highly inclined to agree with you on rooting. I think a fair number of people do it because other people do.

Sent from a M.O.A.R. Galaxy S3

thunderclap

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
If you like news Zite is a must have and is probably my favorite app. You can personalize it however you like with news, be it U.S, World, tech, gaming... whatever you want.

kirkhere

May 7, 2013
Visit site
You'll probably want a visual voicemail app. If you are on AT&T, you can download their app for free from the Play store. Another option is to switch you voicemail to Google Voice and then use that app. There are other 3rd party options also, but I have not tried them.

Weatherbug is my favorite weather app so far. If you turn off notifications, then it doesn't run in the background. Many other weather apps have some background task.

If you do email via MS Exchange and want to be able to sync notes between the phone and Outlook, then check out Notes For Exchange. It uses a cleaver trick to sync direct to the Exchange server without using an intermediary.

Also, just to make sure you are aware, you can go unto the applications area in the settings and disable most of the carrier and Samsung bloatware. Thus will help make the phone feel less cluttered, and will save some battery as well.

sstephen17

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
One of the best apps I downloaded was the Snapdragon Battery Guru. After about two days of analyzing your typical phone usage, it adjusts settings to maximize battery life. I've noticed a significant improvement in my batter life after using it.

_X_

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
The question you're asking is akin to drinking from a fire hose because your thirsty. Give us an example of what kind of phone activities you like to do.

As for utilities. (my Fav)
ES Explorer it's a great file explorer, app manager
Disk Usage
Google Gestures (an awesome gesters app to find contacts, apps and more...)
Flashlight
Night Clock(It uses red fonts so you do not get burn in on AMOLED screens)
Tasks(to do list)
K9 Mail
>>> If you root
Titanium backup

anon(5421739)

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
Airdroid is a great app that lets you transfer files wirelessly to the phone from your computer. You can also reply to sms messages from your computer and much more.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463