resale value

mayconvert

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
Is $495 too much for a 20 day old S4 with all the original stuff ? (headphones etc)

having a hard time getting anyone even remotely interested in buying this phone.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Is $495 too much for a 20 day old S4 with all the original stuff ? (headphones etc)

having a hard time getting anyone even remotely interested in buying this phone.

I personally think it is more the fact that many people don't have $500 to spend. Otherwise the price is very reasonable.

Sent from a M.O.A.R. Galaxy S3

benhmadison

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site

It's a good price. Did you try listing it on Swappa? I am seeing them sell on there for over 500. If you don't mind me asking why are you selling? Going to a different device?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using AC Forums mobile app

mayconvert

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
selling it in Alabama.

Was curious if the resale value was that low already. I put my iPhone 5 on Craigslist and sold it in 4 hours at $500.
The S4 has been on there for 3 days and nothing. got a few offers for $450 which I won't sell it for.

I'm selling to go back to iPhone. I really like android but I set the phone up and leave it. I don't customize or use widgets.
I have an iMac, and Apple TV, and work at apple. the iPhone just works better in my life right now.
Besides, wife is getting the HTC One so I can mess with hers as much as I want.

imagine that. an apple guy that is now a fan of touchwiz samsung, HTC, and LG android phones. Who would have thought that was possible. :)

benhmadison

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
selling it in Alabama.

Was curious if the resale value was that low already. I put my iPhone 5 on Craigslist and sold it in 4 hours at $500.
The S4 has been on there for 3 days and nothing. got a few offers for $450 which I won't sell it for.

I'm selling to go back to iPhone. I really like android but I set the phone up and leave it. I don't customize or use widgets.
I have an iMac, and Apple TV, and work at apple. the iPhone just works better in my life right now.
Besides, wife is getting the HTC One so I can mess with hers as much as I want.

imagine that. an apple guy that is now a fan of touchwiz samsung, HTC, and LG android phones. Who would have thought that was possible. :)

I think it's cool that you like different phones.
If you live in a small town in Alabama I can feel your pain. I live in a small town in Louisiana and people just don't/can't pay what android phones are worth on craigslist. Now they will mortgage the house for an iPhone but for some reason the base to buy high end android phones just isn't there.
Good luck on selling it!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using AC Forums mobile app

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I think your price is fair. It also depends on where you list it and the model. For instance I just sold an AT&T silver HTC One the same day it was listed for $525. I also have a Black Sprint One for sale at $475 and haven't received any inquiries and it's listed in the same places. So obviously the demand is different for these variants. But as a person who is always buying and selling phones, I will say that Android devices value decrease rapidly due to the competition with the platform and often new devices which lessens demand. As an example, Galaxy S3s are going for around the same as iPhone 4S. HTC ones are same prices as iPhone 4. Just how it is right now.

I always have luck selling mine on Amazon, especially to California buyers (because of the high tax) but locally in Delaware I have a difficult time. If you can, open up a merchant account and list it there and you can up the price to cover the fees. Buyers there are more willing to trust a transaction done through Amazon then local meet ups and many don't know about places like Swappa to shop for phones. Good luck.

SenseMonkey

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site
Some people are trying to sell it for retail($600 when its a used phone) and claiming the phone retails for like 899 so they make others think they're getting a good deal. lol.

Courtesy of My LT3VO :D

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Some people are trying to sell it for retail($600 when its a used phone) and claiming the phone retails for like 899 so they make others think they're getting a good deal. lol.

Courtesy of My LT3VO :D

If you check Best Buy you'll probably find it listed for that much, so yes, they are getting a deal. :)

Try Swappa and see how it goes. You don't have any issues with the price point. Someone will eventually see your ad and will want to move on it.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Just checked craigslist in Dallas- Fort Worth and saw them listed from 500 to 600. It may just be where you are located or perhaps just a bit more patience. It only takes one buyer!

Last edited:

chrscaley

May 27, 2013
Visit site
I buy and sell phones every day and 500$ is a good deal on the s4. If you're selling it on Craigslist then try listing it for 550 obo. Don't talk about the phone too much in the ad. Have plenty of good quality pictures showing that the phone is in new condition. Put down that you're willing to meet and you will take first best offer. Are there other s4's listed in your area? If so what condition are they in, what accessories and what are they going for? You need to check out the competition.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
$500 is the low end of what you can get on eBay. Just sold a Verizon model for $540.

Yes, but with fees for ebay and paypal it might be less than 500? I always try craiglist for a week before ebay. I am usually successful except with my Nexus 4, I could not give that thing away on craigslist, lol. Got a fair price in a buy it now within 15 minutes on ebay. So many more buyers on ebay...so it is a great option if you are in an area in which craiglist is not working.

delta7

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
I think your price is fair. It also depends on where you list it and the model. For instance I just sold an AT&T silver HTC One the same day it was listed for $525. I also have a Black Sprint One for sale at $475 and haven't received any inquiries and it's listed in the same places. So obviously the demand is different for these variants. But as a person who is always buying and selling phones, I will say that Android devices value decrease rapidly due to the competition with the platform and often new devices which lessens demand. As an example, Galaxy S3s are going for around the same as iPhone 4S. HTC ones are same prices as iPhone 4. Just how it is right now.

I always have luck selling mine on Amazon, especially to California buyers (because of the high tax) but locally in Delaware I have a difficult time. If you can, open up a merchant account and list it there and you can up the price to cover the fees. Buyers there are more willing to trust a transaction done through Amazon then local meet ups and many don't know about places like Swappa to shop for phones. Good luck.

Sprint phones will take a while usually due to network issues and people jumping ship to other carriers. I have a sprint iphone 5 and ill be lucky to get 350 for it when the AT&T model sells for higher.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumbledore