How to implement emoji icons with Google Keyboard?

JessePinkman

Jun 14, 2013
Visit site
I picked up my S4 on Friday and so far I really like it and am appreciating the customization options after coming over from consecutive Apple devices.

I installed Google Keyboard and I much prefer it to the stock version that came with the phone. However, I'm not sure how you get emoji icons to work on the Galaxy S4. A few of my friends tested sending them to me and - although it's obvoius they are the same icon - look quite a bit different than what they would normally.

1) Is there a way to implement the emoji with the Google Keyboard or at least give me the option to bring up a separate keyboard with the icons. If so, how?

2) Do I need to download an app or something to display the icons differently in the stock messaging app?

HOLLYWOODANT215

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
If u want regular emojis download handcent sms.. And handcent emoji plug in... Also download kii keyboard and handcent emoji.... U kii keyboard is smooth as google and u can change skins and use emoji colored emojis with handcent sms

Posted via Android Central App

OmegaNine

Apr 12, 2013
Visit site
I am looking for the same thing. So far I have only been able to find "Type out smile" or "diamond" or "heart" and it will show up as an auto complete option. I don't know the full list (looking for that too) but I don't think there is a way to acutally get a picture list like in other keyboards.

Carlito Diego

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
...in answer to the original question - you can select a list of emojis / smileys for any keyboard you use (in the stock Samsung messaging app at least) by pressing the contextual menu button (capacative button on the bottom of the phone to the left of the home button) and selecting the option to "insert smiley"... that's how it works on the Samsung Galaxy S3 so I'm assuming that its the same for the S4... It will give most of / the main emojis at least though its not an exhaustive list...

Welcome to the world of Android (and Samsung!) btw and that pesky choice thing that Apple have a deep rooted hatred of :) (Sent from my Apple Mac Mini! :D)

greg scott4

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
when you download the google keyboard an app icon should pop up on your home screen it opens the keyboard settings.
once in the settings go to add on dictionaries and install emoj for English words make sure it says installed under it once finished.

on the key board hold the enter key and the emojis will be there

hope this helps

sky_LUKE_walker

Nov 12, 2014
Visit site
I finally figured out how to do this myself. In order to access your emoji emoticons, you need to hold down the ENTER/RETURN key on the Google Keyboard which is located in the bottom, right-hand corner. After a second, an emoticon button will appear and you can slide over to click it. Once done, you can access all of your emoji icons. Enjoy!

uel

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site
Hey all, thanks for the info but...

I'm running Android 4.3 (Jellybean) on my Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014) and I installed the Google Keyboard and the Emoji for English Words but holding down the ENTER key doesn't bring up any emojis and pressing the emoji key on the keyboard only brings up like 15 old school emojis from the 90s like:

: - P
: )
B - )

But no actual newer colorful emojis.

What am I missing?

TheLegend360

Dec 31, 2014
Visit site
Hey all, thanks for the info but...

I'm running Android 4.3 (Jellybean) on my Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014) and I installed the Google Keyboard and the Emoji for English Words but holding down the ENTER key doesn't bring up any emojis and pressing the emoji key on the keyboard only brings up like 15 old school emojis from the 90s like:

: - P
: )
B - )

But no actual newer colorful emojis.

What am I missing?

I'm having the same problem as you

Ben Law

Feb 11, 2015
Visit site
I finally figured out how to do this myself. In order to access your emoji emoticons, you need to hold down the ENTER/RETURN key on the Google Keyboard which is located in the bottom, right-hand corner. After a second, an emoticon button will appear and you can slide over to click it. Once done, you can access all of your emoji icons. Enjoy!

Thanks bud that was a big help been trying to figure that out for ages

If you look at the description on the app store emoji only works on android 4.4 and over

Last edited by a moderator: