Apple has lost another fan to the GS4

crackcookie

Jun 12, 2012
Visit site
I only had my Iphone 5 for about a week again. This time, no one stole it from me. However, seeing where Apple is taking their IOS 7 (the icon's are ugly and they try to imitate android just slightly), I was very disappointed and felt that my only solution was to jailbreak my phone which I didn't want to do. So, being that Apple doesn't want to keep up with the competition and only provide minor updates that are barely noticeable to push the Iphone back on top, I've switch over to Android GS4.

Perhaps someday when Apple becomes serious again and not want to make icons look like they belong in a Daffy Duck cartoon, increase the size of the iphone, give it better resolution, I'll think about switching back. However, this is highly unlikely since Apple does not believe in innovation anymore.

Kinda shallow....will you hop over to Windows 8 once their icons become hyper realistic or something.....

Channan

Keyboard Warrior
Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
To be fair can you really say Samsung has made changes, my goodness take a look at their Galaxy & Note line ups the only difference is size which was one of the reasons why I switched.

I still don't understand why people say this. Between the S III and S4, the screen got a little bigger while the phone got a little smaller, the pixel count more than doubled, the camera got even better, it went from an S4 1.5GHz dual-core CPU with Adreno 225 GPU to a 600 1.9GHz quad-core CPU with Adreno 320 GPU, and a bigger battery, as well as receiving an IR blaster.

I've even seen people say the Galaxy S4 was a minor upgrade over the Galaxy S III, so they got the One instead. Yeah that makes sense. The Galaxy S4 was barely an improvement over the Galaxy S III, so I bought a different device with similar specs but with an older version of Android instead. -__-

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
I still don't understand why people say this. Between the S III and S4, the screen got a little bigger while the phone got a little smaller, the pixel count more than doubled, the camera got even better, it went from an S4 1.5GHz dual-core CPU with Adreno 225 GPU to a 600 1.9GHz quad-core CPU with Adreno 320 GPU, and a bigger battery, as well as receiving an IR blaster.

I've even seen people say the Galaxy S4 was a minor upgrade over the Galaxy S III, so they got the One instead. Yeah that makes sense. The Galaxy S4 was barely an improvement over the Galaxy S III, so I bought a different device with similar specs but with an older version of Android instead. -__-

I didn't have the S3, but I can equate this sort with my iPhone experience.

I had the 4s and had gone through all the beta versions of IOS 6. I knew performance wise I wouldn't see much a of a difference between the 4s and the iPhone 5. We are reaching a point where phone technology is peaking and additional improvements in technology in most cases is a side grade.

The thing were the whole S3 versus S4 didn't change that much has to do with the personal experience of the device. The HTC One/S4 basically have the same internal specs, but Sense 5, Blinkfeed, Beats Audio offers a different experience. Different enough along with the actual look and feel of the device to make people who owned the S3, to give something different a whirl.

I am a first time Android/Galaxy buyer. To me the S4 is a sexy device. I am sure if I had previously owned the S3, some boredom and drudgery would have been felt because the S4 is not significantly different enough. It is why so many review sites bashed Samsung for this.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Welcome! I disagree about iOS 7. I think it looks great and am looking forward to having it on my iphone and ipad.

In all honesty, based on the beta, I think iOS7 is hideously ugly. And I believe the "flat" style will be harder to use, and there's little differentiation between what screen elements are display only and which can be acted upon (e.g., buttons).

You switched platforms because of icons on a beta release?

iOS 7 may not be everyone's cup of tea...I'll give you that all day long. But to say it is just a minor update is just daffy. There's hardly an inch of the OS that wasn't touched and a lot of functionality has been added. Whether or not what they did is your cup of tea is a completely different issue, but a minor update it is not.

True. They're finally adding features that Android (especially Samsung) already offers and, in most cases has for years. Control Center, Notification Center, "preview" multi-tasking are blatant copies of Android and/or WebOS. AirDrop? Seen any Samsung Galaxy devices lately? Hidden menus and buttons and tabbed browsing? Wow, truly radical (not). Keychain? Old news.

It wouldn't be such a big deal that Apple is copying all it's new features from the competition IF Apple didn't sue everyone else in sight when it thinks they've copied from Apple.

Yes, iOS7 has lots of new features. But few, if any, are innovative.

SenseMonkey

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site

I had the S3, and not saying at all that it was a bad phone but i do notice the differences in what they changed.

From my Sammy Galaxy S4 :D

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
IF Apple didn't sue everyone else in sight when it thinks they've copied from Apple.

2009: Nokia sues Apple.

2010:
Apple sues HTC.
Motorola sues Apple.
Motorola sues Microsoft.
Oracle sues Google over Java in Android.
Microsoft threatens litigation against Android manufacturers as it violated some of its patents.

Microsoft sues Barnes and Noble over Android
Apple sues Samsung

Yup there goes Apple suing everybody.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
LOL. That's a pretty selective list. For a fuller picture, look here: Apple Inc. litigation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

and here: Smartphone wars - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

For just a few select laughs:

Apple sued Woolworth's over their logo, because they claimed it looks vaguely like a piece of fruit
They've sued at least one company for using the word "pod" in a product name
They tried to prevent New York (which has been known as "the big apple" since well before Steve Jobs was born) from using an apple in one of their logos
Apple sued Microsoft and HP over Windows (and were sued by Xerox for stealing Xerox PARC UI elements)
Apple sued Amazon over the words "app store"
Apple sued Google (well, their Motorola division)

Last edited:

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
LOL. That's a pretty selective list. For a fuller picture, look here: Apple Inc. litigation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

For just a few select laughs:

Apple sued Woolworth's over their logo, because they claimed it looks vaguely like a piece of fruit
They've sued at least one company for using the word "pod" in a product name
They tried to prevent New York (which has been known as "the big apple" since well before Steve Jobs was born) from using an apple in one of their logos
Apple sued Microsoft and HP over Windows (and were sued by Xerox for stealing Xerox PARC UI elements)
Apple sued Amazon over the words "app store"

My list was based on the smart phones wars. I wanted to make it simple, and my point is everybody is suing everybody.
Its just not Apple, all these companies are using any means possible to make a dollar off another or defend/control IP/Trademarks.

Microsoft and HP have been both involved in numerous lawsuits over the years so has been Motorola and Nokia.

This not an uncommon practice this is a common practice once millions get involved.

snookasnoo

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
iOS 7 is a very early beta so it's not possible to say this is what the final version will look like. I would expect 6 or 7 more beta's before final release. There have been two so far and the 2n was much faster with a lot of changes. It is also apparent that you aren't familiar with iOS 7 btw.
Having said that I'm running iOS 7 on my iPhone 5 and iPad 4 and there are a lot of things I don't like about it. The font is too thin, the colors are garish, and other UI elements are hard to see. But there are also some big UI improvements. Still I like stock android on my Nexus 4 more than iOS 7 *BETA* so far.
Speaking of looking like a daffy duck cartoon thats pretty much a perfect description of Touchwiz. Enjoy the cheap plastic body and flimsy buttons, 9 GB of storage space, lag,lag,lag, and hope like hell you don't need service or support from Samsung for anything.

I only had my Iphone 5 for about a week again. This time, no one stole it from me. However, seeing where Apple is taking their IOS 7 (the icon's are ugly and they try to imitate android just slightly), I was very disappointed and felt that my only solution was to jailbreak my phone which I didn't want to do. So, being that Apple doesn't want to keep up with the competition and only provide minor updates that are barely noticeable to push the Iphone back on top, I've switch over to Android GS4.

Perhaps someday when Apple becomes serious again and not want to make icons look like they belong in a Daffy Duck cartoon, increase the size of the iphone, give it better resolution, I'll think about switching back. However, this is highly unlikely since Apple does not believe in innovation anymore.

asanatheist

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
Exact opposite. Everything is accessible and upgradeable. You can slide the panels around or the thing up and access the 3 segments of the system. Also the whole point of the thunderbolt system is you can raid add tons of external storage without taking a performance hit.

Did you see the proprietary hardware? How about lack of expansions and limited upgrades?
For a workstation, this is a joke.

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Did you see the proprietary hardware? How about lack of expansions and limited upgrades?
For a workstation, this is a joke.

What proprietary hardware? There are 6 thunderbolt ports for expansion. The only thing I can see an argument for is maybe the dual GPU cards, but you can upgrade that too through thunderbolt.

Channan

Keyboard Warrior
Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
I didn't have the S3, but I can equate this sort with my iPhone experience.

I had the 4s and had gone through all the beta versions of IOS 6. I knew performance wise I wouldn't see much a of a difference between the 4s and the iPhone 5. We are reaching a point where phone technology is peaking and additional improvements in technology in most cases is a side grade.

The thing were the whole S3 versus S4 didn't change that much has to do with the personal experience of the device. The HTC One/S4 basically have the same internal specs, but Sense 5, Blinkfeed, Beats Audio offers a different experience. Different enough along with the actual look and feel of the device to make people who owned the S3, to give something different a whirl.

I am a first time Android/Galaxy buyer. To me the S4 is a sexy device. I am sure if I had previously owned the S3, some boredom and drudgery would have been felt because the S4 is not significantly different enough. It is why so many review sites bashed Samsung for this.

I'm not saying the Galaxy S4 is worth trading in your Galaxy S III for. I can understand people not thinking it's a big enough upgrade over the Galaxy S III and keeping their Galaxy S III.

It's when people complain that Samsung didn't do more and some praise the One instead, like it's a vastly superior device. The Galaxy S4 has the best processor that was available at the time of its release, more than enough RAM, a relatively big battery, a full HD display, an improved camera, and the latest version of Android. I feel like people are mostly complaining because it was made out of "cheap" plastic instead of "premium" aluminum. If the Galaxy S4 was made out of aluminum, I doubt it would have gotten much hate at all.

I think they're both great phones and I'd be happy with either one. I just think they're both too similar to hate one but love the other one. And I'm talking about just the hardware, not the software.

nickgalaxys4

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
You and me both I left Apple for GS4 when the phone first came out could not wait to get rid of my iPhone 4S. I have said that IOS7 looks like a coloring book operating system. Apple has fell off the tech train and now is playing catch up with Android Good choice getting the GS4, and welcome to the Android family. :)

nancybout

Sep 5, 2012
Visit site
I left it for the note 2.
Some apps, like social cam worked much verst on the iPhone... However an app is not enough to keep me on a phone I grew very very bored with.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

bistwo

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
They lost me too. I loved android on my tablet and when my upgrade came around this may, I traded in my iPhone 4 for a GS4, and I don't miss anything about the iPhone.

Posted via Android Central App

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
I'm not saying the Galaxy S4 is worth trading in your Galaxy S III for. I can understand people not thinking it's a big enough upgrade over the Galaxy S III and keeping their Galaxy S III.

It's when people complain that Samsung didn't do more and some praise the One instead, like it's a vastly superior device. The Galaxy S4 has the best processor that was available at the time of its release, more than enough RAM, a relatively big battery, a full HD display, an improved camera, and the latest version of Android. I feel like people are mostly complaining because it was made out of "cheap" plastic instead of "premium" aluminum. If the Galaxy S4 was made out of aluminum, I doubt it would have gotten much hate at all.

I think they're both great phones and I'd be happy with either one. I just think they're both too similar to hate one but love the other one. And I'm talking about just the hardware, not the software.

That whole cheap thing drives me nuts, I have posted on these boards before. The S4 costs more to make than the iPhone 5. And the fact I can remove the back, put in a SD card or swap a battery is a big bonus over the HTC One.

asanatheist

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
What proprietary hardware? There are 6 thunderbolt ports for expansion. The only thing I can see an argument for is maybe the dual GPU cards, but you can upgrade that too through thunderbolt.

Right now the GPU is unknown, but it's possible it may have a W9000 GPU at the very top end.
Okay. Maybe I should just list data instead of comments without researching. I actually have built several EGPU units for customers. Never for a desktop, always for laptops.
Thunderbolt 2 as a E-GPU solution to a DESKTOP is a joke. It's smart on a laptop, because even with the incredibly deficiencies you still get more performance from a GTX 560 TI than a good regular sized laptop.

But let's say you get past the power limit by using an external power supply to provide the power.
AND let's say you get past OSX's limiting GPU solutions via bootloader modifcations.

Thunderbolt 2 is just a hair bit lower than the bandwidth of to PCI-E 2.0 at 8 lanes.
Recent tests on let's say a GTX 690 (one of the fastest but not the fastest single card solution).
Testing on the GTX 690 showed that between PCI-E 3.0 16x versus the equivalent PCI-E 2.0 16x (double that of thunderbolt 2) there was about a 20% decrease in performance. (The equivalent test was using PCI E 3.0 8X lanes which is a good alternative to PCI-E 2.0 16x.

Now you are saying you want to put a GTX 690 level card (remember high performance?) with the equivalent of PCI-E 2.0 8X? You are talking about taking at least a 40% hit on performance using Thunderbolt 2's MAXIMUM throughput. Given the fact thunderbolt solutions even when using GPU's under the max throughput there is still a considerable drop off in performance, you could easily be talking about 50% or great drop in performance. (usually I got a mininum of 10% drop off in performance using Thunderbolt even when the GPU was under the throughput).

If you used dual card solution, you'd be stuck with a 150W power limit for both cards and single width slot cards using Sonnet Thunderbolt case.
Your best bet with a Mac Pro is to shell out the thousands of dollars they will be asking for GPU upgrades.
Lastly you want many different boxes sitting outside of the Mac Pro?
Optical drive (some people still need them in the professional world believe it or not)? Hard drives? e-GPU's (very weak)? Sound Card?

Again as a Workstation it' a joke, you'd be better served running a custom server for probably 1/5th of the price. As a ornament for looks in a professional environment, it's plausible.

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Right now the GPU is unknown, but it's possible it may have a W9000 GPU at the very top end.
Okay. Maybe I should just list data instead of comments without researching. I actually have built several EGPU units for customers. Never for a desktop, always for laptops.
Thunderbolt 2 as a E-GPU solution to a DESKTOP is a joke. It's smart on a laptop, because even with the incredibly deficiencies you still get more performance from a GTX 560 TI than a good regular sized laptop.

But let's say you get past the power limit by using an external power supply to provide the power.
AND let's say you get past OSX's limiting GPU solutions via bootloader modifcations.

Thunderbolt 2 is just a hair bit lower than the bandwidth of to PCI-E 2.0 at 8 lanes.
Recent tests on let's say a GTX 690 (one of the fastest but not the fastest single card solution).
Testing on the GTX 690 showed that between PCI-E 3.0 16x versus the equivalent PCI-E 2.0 16x (double that of thunderbolt 2) there was about a 20% decrease in performance. (The equivalent test was using PCI E 3.0 8X lanes which is a good alternative to PCI-E 2.0 16x.

Now you are saying you want to put a GTX 690 level card (remember high performance?) with the equivalent of PCI-E 2.0 8X? You are talking about taking at least a 40% hit on performance using Thunderbolt 2's MAXIMUM throughput. Given the fact thunderbolt solutions even when using GPU's under the max throughput there is still a considerable drop off in performance, you could easily be talking about 50% or great drop in performance. (usually I got a mininum of 10% drop off in performance using Thunderbolt even when the GPU was under the throughput).

If you used dual card solution, you'd be stuck with a 150W power limit for both cards and single width slot cards using Sonnet Thunderbolt case.
Your best bet with a Mac Pro is to shell out the thousands of dollars they will be asking for GPU upgrades.
Lastly you want many different boxes sitting outside of the Mac Pro?
Optical drive (some people still need them in the professional world believe it or not)? Hard drives? e-GPU's (very weak)? Sound Card?

Again as a Workstation it' a joke, you'd be better served running a custom server for probably 1/5th of the price. As a ornament for looks in a professional environment, it's plausible.

Agree with you on GPU, I thought thunderbolt 2 was pcie 3.0.
I have the OWC Mercury 4x4TB. It doesn't take up space at all. The way these machines cost a person can easily invest into a small raid box and expand storage.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress