Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Exclamation Galaxy S4 Android OS using too much data. HELP

Hey over the past two months I have had my phone almost exclusively connected to my WiFi network but lately I have noticed that it is chewing data. From June 1st to the 26th it used literally 21.91 GIGABYTES of data. That is way too much and I am horribly unhappy with that. I wouldnt mind like 1-4 gigs but that much means that it uses nearly a quarter of my homes WiFi data. Please help me understand how to fix this!
    Thanked by:
    nuzsar 

Default Re: Galaxy S4 Android OS using too much data. HELP

I haven't used that much, but going from my gs3 to gs4 I've gone from 2gb average usage per month to 6.1 gb usage this past month (first month) with my gs4. Not sure why the spike in data usage.....

What are you actually doing when not connected to wifi ??

This is why I turn mobile data off, except when I need it...
    I miss my friend Matt McQuinn he touched so many lives, and in the end gave his life to protect someone that he loved. I am proud to have known him, and of the choices he made when it mattered. You were a true hero.

"You would not fear my weapon unless your intentions were to provoke my using it"

Quote Originally Posted by Live2ride883 View Post
    This is why I turn mobile data off, except when I need it...
    Sounds boring. I like updates when they happen .

@OP what apps are you running? Anything in the background that could be using this data such as special syncs or do you stream lots of music? Could you take screens hots of your data screen for us?

Sent from my Sprint HTC One using AC forums.
    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 4 using AC Forums.

I have the same issue, I used to barely use 500 mg, in my first month with the gs4 I did 5.25 gig, thankfully I upped my data plan to 6 gig

Posted via Android Central App

Click on Settings, Data usage and then the WiFi tab.

You can find out how much data each app is using in here.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Knarr View Post
    Hey over the past two months I have had my phone almost exclusively connected to my WiFi network but lately I have noticed that it is chewing data. From June 1st to the 26th it used literally 21.91 GIGABYTES of data. That is way too much and I am horribly unhappy with that. I wouldnt mind like 1-4 gigs but that much means that it uses nearly a quarter of my homes WiFi data. Please help me understand how to fix this!

Sorry but I am skeptical without knowing what you are doing.

Quote Originally Posted by ArgyleChaser View Post
    I haven't used that much, but going from my gs3 to gs4 I've gone from 2gb average usage per month to 6.1 gb usage this past month (first month) with my gs4. Not sure why the spike in data usage.....

Do you do a lot of movie or multimedia? Did you Google Music before they fixed the high bandwidth issue? So many factors without specifics. For example, the S4 is a 1080p phone, streaming from Netflix at 1080p will kill your data.

Global Posts
    954 Global Posts

There is no way your phone has used 21.91GB of data in 25 days without you being the source of the issue. Are you streaming something like netflix? Or something along those lines? It's not your phone it's something ON your phone you have installed or something you are doing with your phone that you just don't realize is sucking your bandwidth.
    Samsung Galaxy S4 SGH-I337M - 4.2.2
    Telus Mobility
    Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada
    ---

Android OS on mine has used only 1.39GB on wifi since may 29th. Mine is always on wifi when I am home, and I am home about 12 hours a day or more.
    black Verizon Wireless Samsung Galaxy S4 16GB + 32GB SD card

I think there is a bug with the data usage section. For example, when I use youtube, the data that youtube uses is shown under play music in the data usage setting.
    I think Android OS data usage is a the combined usage of a bunch of apps. Either way I am not sure why it should use that much data.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk 4 Beta

I am having the exact same problem! But check this out...I bought 2 GS4s and within 12 days 1 of them showed that the "Andriod OS" used 1.09gb and the other said 201mb! Wha the crap?!?!? The one that used only 201mb has twice as many apps too. There must be a major defect in this software version

Have you logged into your carrier's website to verify the usage? With AT&T I can log on and see how much data I've used. Perhaps you've used that much data for some unknown reason.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

I have the same problem with my Galaxy S4,
    I do just about everything on WiFi and tend to shut mobile data until I learn what is the problem that causes the G4 to consume about 1.5mb per hour whenever Mobile Data on, while out of WiFi reception.
    My sync is set to off, I sync my mail only by demand. My background data is set to restrict. I don't ever stream music or videos. I don't download attachments on mobile data. I cancelled backup my data, WiFi Hotspot is off, NFC off, S Beam off, Don't know what else I can do...
    I don't have a Data plan on my phone and it is costing me quite a bit.
    Therefore I shut my Mobile Data whenever it is not critical. I have the Galaxy S2 as well and never had this problem with it ever.

My biggest data consumer in the S4 is Android OS it is over 40 times the consumption of my second consumer.
    The sad picture is: In 1st place Android OS with a staggering 43.05MB while on the 2nd place What's App with 0.95MB, it is all "earned" in 3 days...
    I exclude the time Mobile Data was off.

mhinc
    There is no way your phone has used 21.91GB of data in 25 days without you being the source of the issue. Are you streaming something like netflix? Or something along those lines? It's not your phone it's something ON your phone you have installed or something you are doing with your phone that you just don't realize is sucking your bandwidth.

haha. You sound like the kid at the Verizon store.

I have used 2 (measly) gb in One week. I never even approached One with my iPhone in a Month.

Verizon kid's reasoning?

You use a lot installing apps. (I'm so boring I've installed four apps)
    The s4 doesn't/can't use more data for regular usage than your iphone 4. (Au contraire. )
    You must be using 4g when you used to use wifi. (I rarely used wifi on my i4. )
    You do more now than you did before. (No. I don't)
    Repeat 1-4 til I am exhausted and leave....
    iriedence likes this.

Also, Google Play Store. HUGE usage. It seems to be turning itself on. I don;t SEE that it is, but more than once "google play store had to shut down (or something like that)" has appeared on the screen. Funny, cuz I dont use it.

Global Posts
    489 Global Posts

Malicious app maybe? That's an almost impossible amount to use on a phone without 24/7 high def Netflix streaming.

Posted from my Galaxy Note 8.0 via the Android Central App
    Nexus 5 • Nexus 7 • Surface Pro 3

Quote Originally Posted by MBSMD View Post
    Malicious app maybe? That's an almost impossible amount to use on a phone without 24/7 high def Netflix streaming.

Not really about 30 minutes of steaming 720p video chewed threw 400mb of data for me so only take 3 4 days or medium steaming to hit 20 gig and at 1080p it would be allot less time

Posted via Android Central App

By default the Galaxy S4 turns off WiFi in sleep mode. But of course apps are still running in the background using up mobile data.
    Browse to Settings > connections > WiFi. Click the bottom left button on your phone and access the advanced settings. Change the 'Keep WiFi on during sleep' parameter from 'never' to 'always' and job done.

I've got an all you can eat data plan with 3uk for 12.90 and it literally is unlimited. I used to do about 100 MB out of 500mb on my old service provider but since getting the new plan with a different network I'm finding myself watching live streaming TV on the go even at night I leave my TV streaming app on just to make the most of it each month. So far I've hit about 13 gig using only mobile data.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by MBSMD View Post

Impossible? Man.. You don't even know what I could hit in a month lol... This is about a week and a half.

Also OP did you try a reset? Also do you know anyone else having this issue (friend or something)?

Sent from my T-Mobile HTC One using AC Forums.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Galaxy S4 Android OS using too much data. HELP-1378228759105.jpg  

I have the exact same issue: I started noticing the problem when only my S4 is on wifi, the incoming data arrow for the wifi icon will flash, and of course, the phone battery drains faster than normal.

What I have found is the following, after I install the My Data Manager app (which, by the way, is a really cool app - it shows you exactly which app is using how much data, and when, broken down by wifi, mobile, and roaming):

1. the "OS Services" pulls data consistently between 1 - 4 mb per hour, and "Android System" pulls about 470KB per hour, doesn't matter the time of the day
    2. I contacted Verizon for tech support (first call), Verizon told me to call Samsung
    3. I called Samsung for support, Samsung tech suggested that I go down to Best Buy Samsung technician to do a hard reset
    4. Went to Best Buy last night, waited for 45 minutes for the technician to come back from lunch (just my luck), did the hard reset.
    5. Same problem came back.
    6. Call Verizon back (second call), no solution other than replace the phone.

Samsung is willing to take a look at the phone, but since Samsung does not offer loaner phone, the tech girl at Best Buy actually told me that I could be without the phone for months before Samsung gets back with me.

And since I have a small crack on the corner of S4's front glass (that's the infamous S4 verses S3 quality issue), Verizon would charge me $300 for the replacement, and I dare not ask Samsung what they're willing to do.

It seems that this is one of those problems that no one has the answer.... Should have just stayed with my S3; I was perfectly happy with it

Abel do you have syncs on at all?

Quote Originally Posted by Almeuit View Post
    Abel do you have syncs on at all?

Not sure - but why would that matter, in the sense that the data drain is constant.

How do I check to see if the sync is on?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast