Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By AlphaVictor87
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Question S4 16GB now or 32GB later?

Hello again folks, it's been a while since I've last been here! I've been busy with real life problems but I'm here now

My situation is that the S4 released where I am a little under two months ago, and I still haven't bought it, since I was busy with exams. But now that I can buy it, I've noticed that only the 16GB version is released, with the 32GB releasing maybe sometime in August. I want the 32GB version because I've heard that the 16GB only really gives you 9GB of space, the rest is used by the system itself. Now, this is going to be my first smartphone (shocker!) and I'm not too keen on rooting it right away, I'd like to use it for a month at least before removing the bloatware, just to get the ~feel of it. I know I can buy an SD card, but those are expensive (I'm not in the US) and besides, apps cannot be stored in SD cards, and I've heard a proper HD game would take about 2GB. Which is absurd. I expect 16GB of usable space when I buy a 16GB phone... so if I buy the 16GB, I will definitely have to buy an SD card with it.

My question to my fellow S4 fans is this; should I buy the 16GB version now or the 32GB version later? What do you think? For those of you that have the 16GB version, how is it? Do you wish you had more space?

More info is here:

Default Re: S4 16GB now or 32GB later?

Quote Originally Posted by ThisTechBoi View Post
    Hello again folks, it's been a while since I've last been here! I've been busy with real life problems but I'm here now

My situation is that the S4 released where I am a little under two months ago, and I still haven't bought it, since I was busy with exams. But now that I can buy it, I've noticed that only the 16GB version is released, with the 32GB releasing maybe sometime in August. I want the 32GB version because I've heard that the 16GB only really gives you 9GB of space, the rest is used by the system itself. Now, this is going to be my first smartphone (shocker!) and I'm not too keen on rooting it right away, I'd like to use it for a month at least before removing the bloatware, just to get the ~feel of it. I know I can buy an SD card, but those are expensive (I'm not in the US) and besides, apps cannot be stored in SD cards, and I've heard a proper HD game would take about 2GB. Which is absurd. I expect 16GB of usable space when I buy a 16GB phone... so if I buy the 16GB, I will definitely have to buy an SD card with it.

My question to my fellow S4 fans is this; should I buy the 16GB version now or the 32GB version later? What do you think? For those of you that have the 16GB version, how is it? Do you wish you had more space?

More info is here:
    First, you should never expect to have 16GB of usable space on a 16GB device. When you buy a computer with a 500GB hard drive you definitely don't have 500 available. Same with SD cards and other products with storage. Not that I agree with it, but just temper your expectations LOL. Secondly, do you plan on downloading a bunch of games? If so, then you may want to wait. If not, then the usable space isn't an issue but I would still say you would want an SD card so you can store pictures and other media on. Lastly, are there any definite dates for the 32GB version and if it is coming where you are? I mean you run the risk of waiting for a device that may never come. The storage space available is sufficient for most people. But heavy gamers would have a hard time with it and those with a lot of media that they want to keep with them should get an SD card anyway.
    Mobile Devices: Nexus 5 32GB Black
    Carrier: AT&T
    Computer: MacBook Pro (2012) 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD
    Other devices: iPad Mini

The Basics: Unlocking and Rooting - http://forums.androidcentral.com/htc...hing-roms.html

I assume your with Verizon but if you're willing to switch AT&T carries the S4 32GB:

AT&T this week has been running a 50% off all smartphones that are $199.99 or less and waiving the activation fee. However, that doesn't include the 32GB S4 which is offered at $249.99. It does apply to the S4 16GB and S4 Active though.

I'm currently with Verizon and originally wanted a Galaxy Note II, but wanted a 32GB version, which no one has offered. I too considered the S4 but didn't want to switch to AT&T give up my unlimited data. However, considering the really good deal at AT&T this week I've ordered the LG Optimus G Pro for $50 ($54 delivered), which is the Note II, but with 32GB & 1080p, minus the stylus. That was enough to get me to leave Verizon and my unlimited data plan. It arrives today, so goodbye Verizon.

Actually Samsung has released an update that allows you to move your apps to your SD card. So if thats a bigger issue it shouldn't be anymore.

Now obviously this hasn't rolled out through all the carriers yet, but the update is out there. I have a 16GB and bought a 32GB SD card to hold all my music and pictures and i'm doing just fine with space.
    scorpiodsu likes this.

Well....this is from a smartphone "addict," and I'm gonna tell you that if it really is you're first smartphone, that means you've been waiting qui some time. Soooo....do NOT be like me (who had a perfectly serviceable GS3....but no LTE because either my phone didn't come with it...or it really is not available in Chicago. Since otber Sprint GS3 owners HAVE been getting LTE, I have to assume the former and that I was "ripped off."). I am the kind of person who gets the latest and greatest smartphone since 2002 because it's the only vice I have! Still...it's a bad vice that has caused me to leave Sprint after 12 years and sign up with AT&T which has unbelievably expensive data plans...whereas I had unlimited data with Sprint!!
    All to get a 32gb GS4!! The 16gb uses 8 gb....not 7 gb to run the darn thing...same as the 32gb version.
    As it's only 2 month until the release date....I suggest you wait. You'll be very pissed off at yourself for getting the 16gb version once the 32gb version comes out...believe me! I've made similar mistakes quite often and I don't want you rush and bjy something just because you can. You'll have a few more bucks by then...so the increase 8n price will not stagger you senseless. Plus....as a first smartphone, you really want the best version of the phone you can find.
    Anyway....as a smartphone addict, I implore upon you the importance of making the correct and informed decision so that you may get the most for enjoyment and money.
    Well....take it or leave it. But....the 32gb is worth waiting for. And in August, it'll still be new enough that it will still be top of the list....AND some store/carriers may just have it for a few dollars/pounds/euros less. It does happen. Already, the Sprint GS4 16gb is selling for $50 less @ $149 instead of $199 (2 yr contract of course). But I am shocked that the GS4 sells for the equivalent price if $850 U.S. as opposed to $600 U.S. in America (w/out contract). As I understand it, I believe you have to pay full price for the phone overseas? Is that correct?? If so...then you really should get the 32gb because that's a lot of money to spend on a phone....especially if you really want one with more storage.
    Ok...I'm done with my spiel. Hope you get what you want and I hope you enjoy your first smartphone as much as I did!!

Peace...

Couch

First of all, apps 2 sd helps for some apps and tends not to for the bigger data apps and not as stable as internal storage. Still better than nothing though. Verizon has a 10% chance of getting a 32GB at the end of July, so will wait by default, since VZW has best coverage for me and I am not losing unlimited data. S3 with 32GB is 17GB more than the current S4 option, so will have to do until a 32GB is released or another device with: 5" display, quadcore, 32GB and SD slot. Might be surprised and see the new Snap 800 version later this year on Verizon Yeah, right. Meh.

Update: 100% now.
    Last edited by rushmore; 07-03-2013 at 10:40 AM.