S4 Starting to Lag

SuperCK

Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
I had the phone for about a month now and starting to notice a lag when launching apps and switching from 'app' to home screens. Any apps I can download to clean up my S4? So far i downloaded 'one click clear' and 'clean master' but havent notice any increase in speed performance.

tohio

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Have you turned the phone off completely since you've had it? Did you hold down the home button and see what apps are running and clear memory?

Kedar

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Do you have any alternative launchers on the phone?

Since I've gotten Nova Launcher, I haven't had any lag nor stutter.
You still get to keep the Touchwiz features, but just get rid of the crappy animations and stutter that is associated with its launcher.

Try it out for a couple days. You'll find yourself sticking to it. I hated when people would tell me to try an alternative launcher, but now my phone is fluid enough that I don't think about the lag/stutter people talk about.

dch176

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site

You still get to keep the Touchwiz features, but just get rid of the crappy animations and stutter that is associated with its launcher.

Try it out for a couple days. You'll find yourself sticking to it. I hated when people would tell me to try an alternative launcher, but now my phone is fluid enough that I don't think about the lag/stutter people talk about.

I'm experiencing the same thing as the OP. I'm also running the Nova launcher. I don't have any app killers or anything like that because I've read that they're actually bad for the system.

SuperCK

Jul 17, 2011
Visit site

No launcher on the phone.

Kedar

May 3, 2010
Visit site
I'm experiencing the same thing as the OP. I'm also running the Nova launcher. I don't have any app killers or anything like that because I've read that they're actually bad for the system.
Hmm, and you are running Nova Launcher? That's odd-- I haven't found this thing to lag at all. Everything flies.
Long press the middle button and maybe try to kill some of the apps that you haven't used in a while or try restarting the phone.
You don't necessarily need app killers; the built in one is fine for me.

No launcher on the phone.
Give Nova Launcher a go if you're not opposed to alternative launchers. It should keep all previous settings from Touchwiz still there and even remember app locations on desktop so setting up takes only a minute or two.

ihbsbA

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Hmm, and you are running Nova Launcher? That's odd-- I haven't found this thing to lag at all. Everything flies.
Long press the middle button and maybe try to kill some of the apps that you haven't used in a while or try restarting the phone.
You don't necessarily need app killers; the built in one is fine for me.

Give Nova Launcher a go if you're not opposed to alternative launchers. It should keep all previous settings from Touchwiz still there and even remember app locations on desktop so setting up takes only a minute or two.

Make sure the transitions are set to "the speed of light" .... then report back...

? Sent from my Galaxy S4 ?
??? Formerly "Evo_Girl"

JGouse0498

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
Running Nova as well and getting lag. Lost quite a few games of TEMPLE RUN 2 because of it (and I do NOT have the graphics turned up to max on it either). Wondering if either it's a software bug in the S4 or perhaps Nova/S4 compatibility.

truthteller10

Banned
Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
I had the phone for about a month now and starting to notice a lag when launching apps and switching from 'app' to home screens. Any apps I can download to clean up my S4? So far i downloaded 'one click clear' and 'clean master' but havent notice any increase in speed performance.

Let me be completely honest with you and this is coming from a long term Samsung Galaxy customer. You simply picked the wrong device if you hate "lag". The Galaxy line of devices will ALWAYS lag and this is because Samsung fails to focus major resources in software optimization that gives the end user and smooth and enjoyable experience. They rather focus on bloating the phone up with half baked features that seldom work but in the long run tax the cpu. Ive noticed this with my GN2 and it doesn't even have the features you have. I am willing to bet you that Touchwiz is taxing your memory in excess of 1.2gb of ram just from the system running with no apps openned. If you want a super fast and lag free experience go with Sony, LG or HTC for you next device and what you will find is that Android is just as smooth as IOS for the most part. You will get all types of recommendations on here to improve lag but the truth of the matter is that your phone will always lag and its a durn shame that with processors powerful enough to run PC's it still feels like Android version 2

truthteller10

Banned
Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
PSA!!! A launcher will NEVER reduce lag and on the contrary will cause additional lag. The problem with your phone is poor software optimization that will not be fixed because Samsungs priority is to push out those other 6 different Galaxy products. The only way to get a better experience is to buy another phone.

Running Nova as well and getting lag. Lost quite a few games of TEMPLE RUN 2 because of it (and I do NOT have the graphics turned up to max on it either). Wondering if either it's a software bug in the S4 or perhaps Nova/S4 compatibility.

Marck527

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site

Wow really? Temple run 2 shouldn't lag, I have the settings on max and it's buttery smooth. Even on modern combat 4 it's buttery smooth.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 Exynos

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
PSA!!! A launcher will NEVER reduce lag and on the contrary will cause additional lag. The problem with your phone is poor software optimization that will not be fixed because Samsungs priority is to push out those other 6 different Galaxy products. The only way to get a better experience is to buy another phone.
Truth. Although, installing a ROM like CyanogenMod or Google Edition port should work too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12