Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 17 of 17
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Marck527
  • 1 Post By palebluedot77
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    SlickSpur's Avatar

    Posts
    70 Posts
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts

    Default Setting phone down, why is camera protruding?

    Does anyone else find it annoying that the camera sticks out on the back? I'm much more concerned with scratching the camera (which I don't think is Gorilla Glass) than I am with the screen. So, if I have the case off (which I take off sometimes to use an aux cable), and set the phone down, it's sitting right on the camera. Or, I can have it sit right on the screen, which I generally opt to do.
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Setting phone down, why is camera protruding?

    Quote Originally Posted by SlickSpur View Post
    Does anyone else find it annoying that the camera sticks out on the back? I'm much more concerned with scratching the camera (which I don't think is Gorilla Glass) than I am with the screen. So, if I have the case off (which I take off sometimes to use an aux cable), and set the phone down, it's sitting right on the camera. Or, I can have it sit right on the screen, which I generally opt to do.
    Like is it sticking out and balancing on the lens? I think it's normal for it to be on it some.. My s3 was like that and my HTC One is like that.. When laying on its back it's on the glass.

    Sent from my Sprint HTC One using AC forums.
  3. #3  

    Default Re: Setting phone down, why is camera protruding?

    Yep. Not only that, but it looks ugly sticking out like that. I still haven't taken out the plastic on the lens, just in case.

    Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 GT-I9500
    SlickSpur likes this.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  
    SlickSpur's Avatar

    Posts
    70 Posts
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts

    Default Re: Setting phone down, why is camera protruding?

    Quote Originally Posted by Almeuit View Post
    Like is it sticking out and balancing on the lens? I think it's normal for it to be on it some.. My s3 was like that and my HTC One is like that.. When laying on its back it's on the glass.

    Sent from my Sprint HTC One using AC forums.
    It doesn't stick out a lot, less than a millimeter, but its enough that it could scratch it. It's a pain to try making sure any surface you put it down on is perfectly clean. It's quite possible you could put it down on a piece of dirt, or sand, etc. Just putting it down on there is bad enough, but if it's moved/dragged/slid at all, it's all over for the camera.

    I never used a case with my iPhone (at least, not for long), always enjoyed the slimness with it without one. Since the GS4 has a removable back cover, I figured I once again wouldn't need a case with the phone, but after seeing how the camera is, I hate not having one on there because I feel like I can't put it down. Frustrating.
  5. #5  

    Default Re: Setting phone down, why is camera protruding?

    It's not laying directly on the glass, it's laying on the sliver of metal that sticks above the camera glass from what I can tell.
  6. #6  

    Default Re: Setting phone down, why is camera protruding?

    Just put the phone on a cloth or something if you take the case off and set it down
    It doesn't stick out that much though
    - Using the Galaxy S5! -
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  
    SlickSpur's Avatar

    Posts
    70 Posts
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts

    Default Re: Setting phone down, why is camera protruding?

    Quote Originally Posted by smooth4lyfe View Post
    Just put the phone on a cloth or something if you take the case off and set it down
    It doesn't stick out that much though
    That's what I've been doing. However, I don't usually have one in the car when I'm driving around, I usually put the thing in the cup holder. Also, if I'm out and about, I'd generally prefer not to have to put a case on it, especially with the removable back cover.
  8. #8  

    Default Re: Setting phone down, why is camera protruding?

    It seems unavoidable at some point to not scratch the camera lens without a case. Would of been nice if Samsung increased the bezel height to help mitigate this issue.
    SlickSpur likes this.
  9. #9  

    Default Re: Setting phone down, why is camera protruding?

    Guess you've never had other Android phones.
    Most have cameras that stick out.

    I suggest putting a case on it.

    Evo - MIUI 1.1.28

    ^----Old signature.

    flip phone, bb curve, pre, evo, evo3d, s4.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  
    SlickSpur's Avatar

    Posts
    70 Posts
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts

    Default Re: Setting phone down, why is camera protruding?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kedar View Post
    Guess you've never had other Android phones.
    Most have cameras that stick out.

    I suggest putting a case on it.
    Have your previous phones camera lens scratched?
  11. #11  

    Default Re: Setting phone down, why is camera protruding?

    Bugged me, but after getting a case (Speck) it sits flat now. I came from the iphone and was used to a flush camera. Only other thing that bugs me on this phone is the power button on the side, I'm used to it being on top with the iphone so now when I turn my phone off I also end up turning the volumn down. Other than those two things the phone is great.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  
    SlickSpur's Avatar

    Posts
    70 Posts
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts

    Default Re: Setting phone down, why is camera protruding?

    I have bumper case for it, but I hate it. I find myself taking it off for a good part of the day every day, then resting the phone on the case.

    Why did Samsung design the phone this way?
  13. #13  

    Default Re: Setting phone down, why is camera protruding?

    Quote Originally Posted by SlickSpur View Post
    I have bumper case for it, but I hate it. I find myself taking it off for a good part of the day every day, then resting the phone on the case.

    Why did Samsung design the phone this way?
    Samsung designed the phone this way because even the slightest similarities with the iPhone could lead to Apple suing them haha

    Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 GT-I9500
  14. #14  

    Default Re: Setting phone down, why is camera protruding?

    I think it's best to not get paranoid about this kind of stuff and enjoy your phones.
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  
    SlickSpur's Avatar

    Posts
    70 Posts
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts

    Default Re: Setting phone down, why is camera protruding?

    Quote Originally Posted by skipatrol View Post
    I think it's best to not get paranoid about this kind of stuff and enjoy your phones.
    ....do you work for Samsung.....?
  16. #16  

    Default Re: Setting phone down, why is camera protruding?

    Quote Originally Posted by tytlyf View Post
    It's not laying directly on the glass, it's laying on the sliver of metal that sticks above the camera glass from what I can tell.
    I doubt the silver bezel around the camera is raised enough to avoid scratches if you go naked. Would of been nice if they sunk in the camera area a bit so it's resting on the back case. Oh well.
  17. #17  

    Default Re: Setting phone down, why is camera protruding?

    Honestly, I don't think that you will envoy your office to it's first potential, if you are worried about scratching the glass..

    Tapped from my Nexus 10.1

Similar Threads

  1. Alarm not going off when set
    By allykat_08 in forum Samsung Stratosphere
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-21-2014, 08:56 AM
  2. Camera Comparison
    By madlaw1071 in forum HTC One
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-28-2013, 11:36 PM
  3. Excellent Showing by the S4 Camera!
    By madlaw1071 in forum Samsung Galaxy S4
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-27-2013, 08:50 PM
  4. Major Issue with My phone!!
    By Mike Burns in forum LG Optimus S Rooting, ROMs, and Hacks
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-27-2013, 03:33 PM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-27-2013, 08:07 AM

Posting Permissions