Help convince me to buy one - upgrading from GS3

trebores

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Hi everyone. I was hoping to get some opinions from the forum.

I'm on Verizon - I've had a galaxy s3 since launch. I think it's still great.

I often get the latest and greatest phone or at least try to. I had a preorder for the gs4. I tried the AT&T version at the store when it launched and I didn't feel that it was much different than the s4 so I cancelled my preorder.

I still kinda want to get it, but I'm having a hard time justifying the cost (I pay full price). Can anyone who's switch from an S3 to S4 comment. Is it worth the upgrade? I'm not really interested in the Touchwiz stuff - I always windup installing a mostly stock rom.

Thanks!

vasekvi

May 5, 2013
Visit site
How much longer in your contract? I'm not getting a gs5 I'm waiting till the next one after. The gs3 is getting lots of the software updates anyway I wouldn't switch personally.

Sent from my AT&T Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk II

skipatrol

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
Personally I would wait the 4 months - then upgrade. Yes it sucks losing the unlimited data (coming from the Bionic) but 2gb is plenty for me since I use wifi so no major loss there. The biggest difference for me is the quad core vs. the dual. As heavy graphic gaming becomes more popular this will be a factor down the road. Additionally future OS updates will be supported on the S4 for a long time. I have to believe updates for the S3 may be coming to an end. More likely than not these future updates will run smoother on a quad core as opposed to a dual. The 13 MP camera is also a point and shoot replacement in my mind. Probably the first (android) phone that stacks up camera wise. However the other things are less important (to me anyway) but still nice to have..

- Slightly bigger screen
- slightly better battery life
- better screen
- IR

Here's a good article that may help you decide...

Page 2: Should I buy the Samsung Galaxy S4 or stick with the Galaxy S3? | Reviews | Geek.com

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Might as well wait a few more months. The S4 has the same chipset fabrication as the S3, but a quad with a faster gpu. For normal function, I see no improvement and ditto for radio reception.

This fall devices with the Snap 800 will release and that will be a significant improvement due to a lower fabrication process (less heat and more battery life) and even faster device.

Still, there will probably not be much practical improvement there either, since the S3 already loads apps fast and plays smooth.

Phones seem to be getting like computers, where there are diminished returns as each year passes. Seems the next big step will be better radio reception and battery life, rather than speed performance.

TheyStoleMyName

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
For me it wasnt much of an improvement over the s3 other than the screen quality. There's quite a few bugs with the phone also. If u can't live without it then get it. Try calling customer service and ask if they can bring the full retail price down a bit. It never hurts to try.

from what ever phone I feel like using today.

Last edited:

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
If you have the money go for it. If it would pinch you fiancially, I do not think it is worth the upgrade from an s3 if paying full price. Just my opinion though.

thornesone

May 28, 2012
Visit site
Take the upgrade money and purchase a good tablet or laptop. The GS3 is a good smartphone. I upgraded and gave my GS3 to my wifey. She loves her GS3 and I love my GS4, but the difference is really minimal unless you have money to burn and want the latest (me!). :)

Posted via Android Central App

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
I have no personal experience since I came from an iPhone. If you are happy with the performance of your S3, wouldn't you consider the leap to the S4 a sidegrade?

If I was you, maybe wait a cycle or wait till the X phone or other new phones come up later on in the year.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463