Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Galaxy S4 Lock Screen Clock Lag

I got the S4 a week ago and have noticed that when I wake up the phone, it takes a second for the clock to change to the correct time. Say I lock the screen at 11:30 and then try to unlock at 12:00, the lock screen says 11:30 for a second before changing to 12:00.

Does anyone else have this issue and know if there is a fix? Or is there another thread about this already?

Thanks!

Default Re: Galaxy S4 Lock Screen Clock Lag

It takes me longer than that when I wake up...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337
    Nexus 6 (64GB), Moto X 32GB Pure, iPhone 6 Plus Unlocked, OnePlus One (64GB),Xperia Z2, LG G3, Lumia 925 8.1 Cyan, Nexus 5 (32GB), Moto X (32GB), Lumia 1020, Google Edition S4, Galaxy S4 (32GB), S4 Active, Nexus 4, Note 2, Galaxy S3, Galaxy Note (ATT), Galaxy Note Intl., Galaxy S2 Skyrocket, Nexus S, Atrix 2, Atrix, Galaxy S1 Captivate, Nexus 7 (32GB), iPad 4, Dell Venue Pro 8, iPad Air 2

Exact same problem with me, I got my S4 only two days ago. It is a bit annoying and I have done some digging but cannot seem to find a solution either.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Quote Originally Posted by planoman View Post
    It takes me longer than that when I wake up...
    Do you know if its a problem with the phone using a lot of RAM just to wake up or is it a glitch in the OS?

Minimalistic Text does that for me, too. DashClock reports the correct time, though. I'd recommend it, anyway for the extra customization.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AC Forums mobile app
    Thanked by:
    jeffreii likes this.

It might be a problem with Samsung phones in general. Before the S4, I had the Samsung Brightside and it would do the same but lag way worse. My GS4 does that as well. Not sure about the other ones like The Note or S3

Quote Originally Posted by CurryGuy123 View Post
    Do you know if its a problem with the phone using a lot of RAM just to wake up or is it a glitch in the OS?
    I was talking about me personally... The clock is a widet I believe, and it need sto refresh. If it ran the entire time it would affect your battery. Does it really bother you?
    Nexus 6 (64GB), Moto X 32GB Pure, iPhone 6 Plus Unlocked, OnePlus One (64GB),Xperia Z2, LG G3, Lumia 925 8.1 Cyan, Nexus 5 (32GB), Moto X (32GB), Lumia 1020, Google Edition S4, Galaxy S4 (32GB), S4 Active, Nexus 4, Note 2, Galaxy S3, Galaxy Note (ATT), Galaxy Note Intl., Galaxy S2 Skyrocket, Nexus S, Atrix 2, Atrix, Galaxy S1 Captivate, Nexus 7 (32GB), iPad 4, Dell Venue Pro 8, iPad Air 2
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Quote Originally Posted by planoman View Post
    Does it really bother you?
    I tend to click in and out of the lock screen quickly to check the time so it did at first, but it being a widget causing lag makes sense. But I'll try DashClock

Thanks!

I've noticed the clock too coming out of the locked screen. It is quite annoying.

Maybe it is a bug on the S4's but I can live with it ;-)

Posted via my Samsung Galaxy S4

Nothing you can do about it my friend. This has been a problem that Samsung has failed to fix in all iterations since GS2..Lag is there to stay in the galaxy line.

I tend to click in and out of the lock screen quickly to check the time so it did at first, but it being a widget causing lag makes sense. But I'll try DashClock

Thanks!
    Put the clock on your lock screen I see the the time as soon as I hit the home button. There is no delay. Maybe I am not sure where you are seeing the delay.

I notice the delay also, but it's almost instantaneous. Power saving feature maybe?

Ain't nothing to do with TW lag in this instance i don't think. The the stock clock is just slow to update. Luckily there are tons of other clocks to choose from in the play store that don't show any lag what so ever.

I got the S4 a week ago and have noticed that when I wake up the phone, it takes a second for the clock to change to the correct time. Say I lock the screen at 11:30 and then try to unlock at 12:00, the lock screen says 11:30 for a second before changing to 12:00.

Does anyone else have this issue and know if there is a fix? Or is there another thread about this already?

Thanks!

Same here, just ignore it.

I have this issue as well with my Verizon Galaxy S4. I compared to other S4 users and they also experience this lag with stock lock-screen Clock. It is very annoying and has confused me a few times when I check the time quickly. Also interesting to note I compared this issue with 2 Galaxy S3 users (both on Verizon) and they do NOT have this issue. Will try dashclock

Quote Originally Posted by truthteller10 View Post
    Nothing you can do about it my friend. This has been a problem that Samsung has failed to fix in all iterations since GS2..Lag is there to stay in the galaxy line.
    I had the S3 for a year and this never happened. I got the S4 before it actually hit the shelves and this has just started happening in the last month for me. My husband still has the G3 and it doesn't happen to him. I've had exclusively Samsung phones since 2000 (except for a month with the awful Razr back in the day, and the iphone 4 for a year) and never had this issue. I'm on AT&T--is this an AT&T issue or are those of you also experiencing this on different carriers?

Global Posts
    133 Global Posts

I use the S view case and on opening the flap, it directly goes to the lockscreen showing the clock which shows no lag.

Thanks!
    CrackBerry Convert

Global Posts
    3,239 Global Posts
    ROM
    Goldeneye 4.0 + CWM OUDHS

Quote Originally Posted by alimarie1331 View Post
    I had the S3 for a year and this never happened. I got the S4 before it actually hit the shelves and this has just started happening in the last month for me. My husband still has the G3 and it doesn't happen to him. I've had exclusively Samsung phones since 2000 (except for a month with the awful Razr back in the day, and the iphone 4 for a year) and never had this issue. I'm on AT&T--is this an AT&T issue or are those of you also experiencing this on different carriers?
    I also did not have this issue on my S3...new problem with the S4. The last phone I experienced this on prior was my Blackberry Torch 9800. I hate turning on my phone just to see the time, then having to wait for it to update. I need to take a minute and try the Dashclock widget instead.
    CrackBerry Convert

Global Posts
    3,239 Global Posts
    ROM

Quote Originally Posted by jeffreii View Post
    I also did not have this issue on my S3...new problem with the S4. The last phone I experienced this on prior was my Blackberry Torch 9800. I hate turning on my phone just to see the time, then having to wait for it to update. I need to take a minute and try the Dashclock widget instead.
    Loving Dashclock. Seems to have completely solved the clock lag issue. It's typically updated already when I turn the screen on...once I saw it update the instant the screen came on...so pretty damn good. And it's free, fairly customizable, and looks much better than stock. Thanks!

I noticed the lag issue about a month ago. Then downloaded dash clock, it's such a good app. Have you looked at the extensions you can add to it? You might find some useful ones

Posted via Android Central App

Global Posts
    6,371 Global Posts
    ROM
    None

I had that lag on my Photon 4G. But never seen it on my Galaxy S4.
    Now I'm using the S-View case and the clock is still fine.
    Maybe not all GS4 devices have that lag?

Sent From a Galaxy S4 Away!
    If I'm very clever, and I'm more than clever, I'm brilliant! I might just save the World, or rip it apart!

Dashclock works great, with no lag. Extensions are cool too.

Global Posts
    6,371 Global Posts
    ROM
    None

Quote Originally Posted by MAK85 View Post
    Dashclock works great, with no lag. Extensions are cool too.
    Are there different kinds of clocks to choose from?

I might try it sometime in the future if I get bored of the stock one.

If I'm very clever, and I'm more than clever, I'm brilliant! I might just save the World, or rip it apart!

Quote Originally Posted by STARGATE View Post
    Are there different kinds of clocks to choose from?

I might try it sometime in the future if I get bored of the stock one.

There's a handful of them, but they aren't all that different. There's 5 digial and 2 analog and I haven't seen any way to add more.

The really awesome thing about it is the extensions. They can add other information to the widget like battery usage, cell strength, weather, a quick link to Shazam, Tasker variables/tasks, stuff like that.
    CrackBerry Convert

Global Posts
    3,239 Global Posts
    ROM

Quote Originally Posted by garublador View Post
    There's a handful of them, but they aren't all that different. There's 5 digial and 2 analog and I haven't seen any way to add more.

The really awesome thing about it is the extensions. They can add other information to the widget like battery usage, cell strength, weather, a quick link to Shazam, Tasker variables/tasks, stuff like that.
    Yeah I'm pretty surprised there aren't way more options for how the clock looks...or a way to change the size...but I picked the one with the bold hour number and normal font minutes and I'm really happy with how it looks.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast