Downloaded something bad? :(

Lazymaid

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
Hi, I'm new to android having upgraded yesterday after years of having an iPhone. I'm just getting my head around things and wanted to download adobe flash player to view live streaming on a website. I thought I had downloaded the app but its not working and says flash settings on the icon which I can't delete. I'm really worried I've managed to mess up an download something sinister. Could someone advise what to do please?

Many thanks

nickgalaxys4

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
Hi, I'm new to android having upgraded yesterday after years of having an iPhone. I'm just getting my head around things and wanted to download adobe flash player to view live streaming on a website. I thought I had downloaded the app but its not working and says flash settings on the icon which I can't delete. I'm really worried I've managed to mess up an download something sinister. Could someone advise what to do please?

Many thanks
Welcome to the Android family. Did you try restarting the phone? Maybe it will work. If you want you can download virus protection so it can tell you if the app was harmful.

Lazymaid

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
Thank you. Restarting didn't do anything but I have now managed to delete the app. Should I still download virus protection or is that not necessary now?

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site

Many thanks

Thank you. Restarting didn't do anything but I have now managed to delete the app. Should I still download virus protection or is that not necessary now?

Well, where did you download the item from? Very rarely does anybody get malware from the Google App store. I don't use an antivirus but (not picking on you) common sense works in a lot of these cases.

Now if you aren't that technology savvy and have a habit of clicking on any links or weird emails your friends sent you, maybe you should get one.

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
Not every sight is flash Mobil friendly. May have done it correctly but that web sight sees u as a mobile device and won't work properly. Also did u get the flash apk from adobe? Be'ause flash is no longer being supported on android.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site

Many thanks

Not every sight is flash Mobil friendly. May have done it correctly but that web sight sees u as a mobile device and won't work properly. Also did u get the flash apk from adobe? Be'ause flash is no longer being supported on android.

S4 stock browser supports flash.

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
It might support flash. But the web sight u go to might not support it. And u still need to get the flash archive from adobe
S4 stock browser supports flash.

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
It might support flash. But the web sight u go to might not support it. And u still need to get the flash archive from adobe

If a website is using flash and your browser can play flash, there is no need for an additional file. The stock browser in the Galaxy S4 plays flash, there is no need to download any apk for that. That was the whole intent of it.

nickgalaxys4

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site

I would just to be safe. I use trustgosecurity it's free and works well. Check more out in the app store.

Sent from Galaxy S4
Techeasy ABC

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
To be super safe I would recommend a factory reset. Remember to download apps from trustworthy sources, such as the Play Store, Amazon or from a reputable developers website if not offered throught the app store channels.

Recommendations have already been made to download a security app, which will help you in the future and alert you to problem apps.

Lazymaid

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
Thank you so much to everyone who has taken the time to reply. I've downloaded some security now as suggested and all seems to be well. I will be sure to only download from secure areas. Thanks again LM

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Thank you so much to everyone who has taken the time to reply. I've downloaded some security now as suggested and all seems to be well. I will be sure to only download from secure areas. Thanks again LM
No problem. Hopefully this didn't leave a bad taste with your going to Android rather than sticking with an iPhone. Let us know if you have any questions, as you can see there are a lot of people ready to help.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
The real question here is...where did OP download Flash from? Based on the initial description, there's no real way to determine if his/her phone was ever actually at risk, or if Flash was properly installed or not...

For what it's worth, you can actually download Flash Player directly from Adobe here: Archived Flash Player versions
(Scroll down to the Android section)

Keep in mind that Flash will not work with all browsers. It definitely doesn't work with Chrome.