Facebook app notifications about friends' status updates (friends not on "Close Friends" list)

Lacey_Underalls

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
Facebook app notifications about friends' status updates (friends not on "Close Friends" list)

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum and have attempted to search for a prior thread that addresses my current issue with no luck (I've Googled, also), so I apologize if this has been discussed and resolved.

I have the standard Facebook app for my S4 (not the Facebook Home app; not sure what the difference is) and recently, I've been receiving notifications when certain friends update their status or upload a picture. There are no friends on my "Close Friends" list, so I can't resolve the problem by deleting them or adjusting the notification preferences there. Additionally, one of the other fixes I've read about, clicking the "x" next to the notification I don't want to receive in the future, can't be applied because these notifications are only showing up in the app on my phone and not in the notifications area of Facebook on my computer. I can't seem to find or click any "x" next to the notification in my app when I press the notification and hold or try to swipe across the notification. I've checked the notifications settings both on my phone and through the website on my computer and don't appear to have anything checked that should be creating these notifications.

Has anyone else experienced this and found a solution? Thanks in advance for any tips or feedback!

tjg312

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Re: Facebook app notifications about friends' status updates (friends not on "Close Friends" list)

I get the same thing, doesn't even do it on every status update. not sure what causes it but it's weird, my iphone did the same thing so I assume it's something with facebook itself

nickgalaxys4

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
Re: Facebook app notifications about friends' status updates (friends not on "Close Friends" list)

Maybe it can be fixed within the FB app it's self. It should not do that at all. My next thing to try would be delete it and load it on again and see whats happen. Or try logging off and on again. Hope one of these idea's work. Good Luck.

tjg312

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site

I don't think the problem is related to the app, at least mine. The notifications also show up for me on the computer. I never really thought anything of it though

Ashe Wednesday

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site

I'm having the exact same problem... it doesn't even happen with every friend, but I will randomly get notifications about status updates from people I don't particularly want to hear from (including one whose posts I hid from my main news feed).

Lacey_Underalls

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site

Maybe it can be fixed within the FB app it's self. It should not do that at all. My next thing to try would be delete it and load it on again and see whats happen. Or try logging off and on again. Hope one of these idea's work. Good Luck.

Thanks for the suggestion, nickgalaxys4. I attempted logging off as well uninstalling and reinstalling with no improvement. When I reinstalled, it was even a more recent version than what I previously had.

I don't think the problem is related to the app, at least mine. The notifications also show up for me on the computer. I never really thought anything of it though

My issue occurs solely within the application. These random notifications don't appear on Facebook on my computer.

dchawk82

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site

I had the exact same thing happen the other day. At first I was like, "oh cool, a fb notification." Then after I read it, I was like, "why do I care about X's status update?" It's only happened the one time, but it was a strange occurrence..

Lacey_Underalls

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site

Has anyone found a solution for this issue? I'm continuing to receive notifications about friends' updates and photo uploads, which is annoying.

loc09

Jun 1, 2013
Visit site

Same problem here, but! It is giving notifications about very old posting in Facebook of randomly chosen people. One was at least two weeks old post from a friend and I was like what the **** Facebook, where did get this?
It's just frustrating to get old facebook posts as a notifications from friends that are not even the closest ones :-\

jayarh1

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site

Try going to your friends page (the person your getting the notification from) click friends and make sure get notifications is unchecked. Haven't gotten a stray notification since

Posted via Android Central App

dchawk82

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site

Won't work for me, "get notifications" is already unchecked. What a strange glitch!

MaccaBird

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site

Just checking in to say that this also happens to me. I usually get one every two days from a random person's status. Usually the status isn't even a new one, it will be one from a couple of days prior.

Lacey_Underalls

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site

Try going to your friends page (the person your getting the notification from) click friends and make sure get notifications is unchecked. Haven't gotten a stray notification since

Posted via Android Central App

Won't work for me, "get notifications" is already unchecked. What a strange glitch!

Same for me. I've looked into this for people whose status updates I've received as notifications previously and "Get Notifications" has not been checked for any of them. I was chatting with someone in my company's tech department yesterday and he said he has the same problem with the Facebook app on his HTC One and can't figure out how to fix the issue. :-\

Matt_Paice

Jul 14, 2013
Visit site

Possible solution... press the 'address book' looking button at the bottom right of your screen. Scroll down to 'settings' and underneath that press 'privacy settings'. From there click on 'notifications'. At the bottom of this list is the very dodgy-sounding 'activity you've missed'... untick this.

I agree the notifications are a bit random BUT they do tend to relate to friends whose stuff I've recently been reading. God only knows how else FB would arrive at 'activity you've missed'.

Let me know if this works!

Lacey_Underalls

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site

Possible solution... press the 'address book' looking button at the bottom right of your screen. Scroll down to 'settings' and underneath that press 'privacy settings'. From there click on 'notifications'. At the bottom of this list is the very dodgy-sounding 'activity you've missed'... untick this.

I agree the notifications are a bit random BUT they do tend to relate to friends whose stuff I've recently been reading. God only knows how else FB would arrive at 'activity you've missed'.

Let me know if this works!

Thanks for the suggestion, Matt_Paice. I'm not seeing the "Activity You've Missed" section under "Notifications." The screen capture below shows what I see under the "Notifications" section, and this is the same both on my Facebook app and on the actual website. I DID notice that when I first clicked into "Notifications," at the top of the section it said "Recent Notifications" and showed a couple of the random friends' status updates/picture uploads that I had received. I clicked "hide" next to these notifications and they disappeared, so I'll be interested to see if they show up in the future for these friends or if any of these types of notifications appear at all.

d8V2OQq.jpg

Jessiem

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site

Hi Lacey,

Here is what finally solved this for me.

Go to "account settings" (the screen you posted a screenshot of in your most recent post). I did this on my phone.

Click "Notifications".

Click "Mobile Push".

Uncheck "Activity you've missed". I also unchecked everything else on this page, as I don't see the need for any mobile push notifications when I have notifications enabled through the app itself.

No more weird unwanted old status updates.

Best of luck.

Lacey_Underalls

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site

Thanks so much, Jessiem!

I tried your suggestion a couple of days ago and I haven't received a notification about friends' activity since. Fingers crossed this resolves the problem!

dtblair24

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site

So glad I found this! Been living with it for a few weeks now and finally decided to search why.

Don't like how they snuck that in there. Can see why it might be useful but 9 times out of 10 I have already seen the activity.

Sent from my HTCONE using AC Forums mobile app

Aaron Burton1

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site

Hi Lacey,

Here is what finally solved this for me.

Go to "account settings" (the screen you posted a screenshot of in your most recent post). I did this on my phone.

Click "Notifications".

Click "Mobile Push".

Uncheck "Activity you've missed". I also unchecked everything else on this page, as I don't see the need for any mobile push notifications when I have notifications enabled through the app itself.

No more weird unwanted old status updates.

Best of luck.

Wow - thank you for this. Been annoying me for ages! Good job!

Amarrero83

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site

Thank you Jessie and f :)@$ you Facebook for annoying the hell out of me