Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Stolen Samsung Galaxy S4

Sorry I am not very technically minded, and I know this is probably my fault, but here's the situation.

I lost my new phone at a concert! I didn't have my phone locked with a password.

If they wiped my phone and removed the SIM card do I have any hope of seeing my phone again?

Default Re: Stolen Samsung Galaxy S4

Nope. Did you have any software on their that could locate it? For example I have AVG antivirus pro which has that feature.

Sent from my GT-I9500
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

I'm not sure. My brother set it up for me.

If he installed that it would prevent someone from being able to wipe my phone?

No unless he rooted it onto the phone.
    If you have your phone details report it stolen to your carrier. Probably best to claim insurance.

Sorry to hear about your phone

Posted via the mystical forest creatures that power this Nexus 4
    Tom Fairclough
    Credo faber est quisque fortunae suae
    I believe every man is the artisan of his own fortune
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

I talked to my brother last night and he said he didn't install an app like that and if they factory reset the phone any apps on there like 'finding the phone' are useless...

What is IMEI, can my cell phone provider use that to track my phone if someone starts making calls on it? Surely they must know where all the cell phones are if they're connected.

I have home insurance but I think I need personal insurance to cover a lost item claim...

Unfortunately, you are almost completely out of luck. The phone was not locked nor was security setup on it. Essentially whomever has it can swype into it, reset it and be good to go when it comes to using it. You can report it stolen to the carrier and depending on the carrier they may depending on whether you are in good standing or not offer a small discount on a new phone but other than that you are basically out of luck. Unfortunately.

Posted via Android Central App
    Phone: HTC One M8 (Gunmetal Gray)
    Tablet: Google Nexus 7 2013

IMEI is essentially a unique serial number links to the phone. The carrier will not help in tracking it, safe to say the phone you lost is gone.

Posted via Android Central App
    Phone: HTC One M8 (Gunmetal Gray)
    Tablet: Google Nexus 7 2013

next time make sure you put a password in the factory reset option and install lookout mobile security or Cerberus to locate your phone.

Quote Originally Posted by Chess12345 View Post
    Sorry I am not very technically minded, and I know this is probably my fault, but here's the situation.

I lost my new phone at a concert! I didn't have my phone locked with a password.

If they wiped my phone and removed the SIM card do I have any hope of seeing my phone again?
    If you had an app call Android Lost then it will be easy to track it and find it. I wish you luck in finding it.
    iPad iPhone 4,4s,5,5s Nexus 7 (2013) Galaxy S4 Nexus 5 and so much more.....

Global Posts
    97 Global Posts

where is the option in sg4 to set up password in factory reset option
    thx

Settings>more>security>Set up/changepassword
    Quote Originally Posted by SERBDVB View Post
    where is the option in sg4 to set up password in factory reset option
    thx
    Thanked by:

If only Android had that built-in. iOS and Windows Phone has that. Would be very helpful on my Nexus 4.

I lost my samsung galaxy s4 today.
    Is there any chance of getting my phone back?
    Please reply!

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEEV KAPOOR View Post
    Please reply!
    Um.. Getting it back? Sure if you can find who took it. Did you set up the GPS through Google device manager before hand or no?

Sent from my T-Mobile HTC One using AC Forums.

Global Posts
    8 Global Posts

In my country, Norway, if I report my phone stolen they can actually track it with the IMEI number. Atleast on iPhones without any software for it.

- Sent from my Galaxy S4 -

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEEV KAPOOR View Post
    Please reply!
    go to this link
    https://www.google.com/android/devicemanager
    Thanked by:
    Gelst 

Do you have to install device manager or does it do it automatically?

I went to the Google play store on my laptop earlier and I was able to locate my s4 using the device manager. Although I haven't installed it. I guess it must have done it automatically.

Posted via my S4/Tab 2
    Posted from my iPad mini/Air.

Quote Originally Posted by shanghaichica View Post
    Do you have to install device manager or does it do it automatically?

I went to the Google play store on my laptop earlier and I was able to locate my s4 using the device manager. Although I haven't installed it. I guess it must have done it automatically.

Posted via my S4/Tab 2
    It's part of the android core. It installs automatically and cannot be uninstalled. Even if a phone is wiped, it will eventually reinstall unless a custom ROM without Google apps is used.
    Samsung Galaxy S 4 NAE 4.4.2 Rooted with CF Auto-Root and HotSpot Mod
    HTC EVO Design 4G Rooted with HTC SuperTool v3 by frigid

Not to mention that Google finally released their own version Device Manager. I personally use Avast as well.

Ouch, best of luck

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

Guys i lost my s4 in london today! Any suggestion? With the imei to the police they could track it? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Alessandro Rubino View Post
    Guys i lost my s4 in london today! Any suggestion? With the imei to the police they could track it? Thanks!
    Go to https://www.google.com/android/devicemanager and see if your phone is picked up. Outside of that, reporting it stolen to the carrier and police is your next bet if you didn't install any software with remote capabilities. There is ONE app you can install after the phone's already lost, but I cannot recall it's name right now.
    Samsung Galaxy S 4 NAE 4.4.2 Rooted with CF Auto-Root and HotSpot Mod
    HTC EVO Design 4G Rooted with HTC SuperTool v3 by frigid

Interesting info, have not had this issue yet, luckily, but will be following up on everyone's recommendations.

Global Posts
    360 Global Posts

Let's put this out there to at least ease some confusion.

Yes with an imei number the cell phone companies can ping a device which will give you its location in a matter of minutes within a 30 foot radius. The only time this can be done is when it is done by request of a law enforcement agency and their is a court order to go with it.

So in short yes no matter where your phone is and not matter how many times its been wiped the carrier can still find where it is. Although you will never get a carrier to do it for you or a law enforcement agency to do it either.

Your best option is to report it stolen to the carrier who adds it to a list and if the phone is brought into any major carriers store the employees their will take the phone and it gets turned in if someone goes in trying to activate it. It'll eventually make it back to you in the end if this happens.

Global Posts
    961 Global Posts

Android Device Manager won't help if folks haven't gone in and allowed it. It's set to OFF default.
    IF, and this is a SLIGHT IF! The person that has your phone was either honest and looking for you or too stupid to factory reset it.
    You can try PLAN B from the Play Store. It's like the day after pill for your phone. If your phone is on and not reset, it will remote install and you can track it

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...out.labs.planb
    Samsung Galaxy S4 SGH-I337M - 4.2.2
    Telus Mobility
    Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada
    ---
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast