1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Angry Audio popping/crackling when recording video

I just brought home the new S4 and while everything else seems fine, I noticed random popping audio when playing back recorded videos. This happens during playback on the phone as well as on a PC. Audio playback through other apps seems perfect - it's just for video recorded with the phone. I've even tried lowering the settings, in case there's overload on the CPU causing the issue, but there was no difference.

Here's a sample of what it sounds like:

Is this experienced by others? Doesn't seem hardware-related. Thanks.
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  

Default Re: Audio popping/crackling when recording video

Anyone?

Had something similar. Turns out to just be the phone picking up noise caused by your hand on the phone. Try using a tighter grip. Also, try setting the phone down and recording audio. While resting it off my hands it works fine. No noise. Holding it I try to make sure my hands aren't rubbing the phone.

Posted via Android Central App
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Thanks, but I'm not sure if that's my case, though I do know what you're referring to. I can let it sit on a flat surface, untouched, and it still does it. Also, I did a couple tests just now, and it's always from the bottom microphone, it seems to do it 90% of the time, and only 10% from the top. This is regardless of orientation of the phone (L and R don't switch depending which way you hold the phone, btw).

I hear no difference in the audio quality otherwise, and some videos don't have any popping at all. It's a bit annoying, though. Debating whether to exchange it but wanted to see if others had this exact issue.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

And actually, I noticed it does it even when simply recording voice using the built-in recorder. So, doesn't even have to be a video recording.

Hey. I have the same problem as you. Any solution so far?
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

I actually exchanged mine and the new one has the same issue (purchased 2 weeks apart, from different stores). Here's a thread about the issue: . I'm living with it, as it usually only happens on the first video and then goes away afterwards.

So, it's either something that can be resolved via a firmware update, or it's just a design flaw, perhaps.

I have the same problem as well. I hope it gets fixed

I am experiencing the same popping and cracking noise on the video audio on my old Sprint note 2 and on my 2 new T mobile note 3. I am sending in my note 3 to samsung for repair. I hope they can fix it. On my phones it is very random. Sprint replaced my note 2 but the popping and cracking noise did not go away.

I am experiencing the same popping and cracking noise on the video audio on my old Sprint note 2 and on my 2 new T mobile note 3. I am sending in my note 3 to samsung for repair. I hope they can fix it. On my phones it is very random. Sprint replaced my note 2 but the popping and cracking noise did not go away.

Hi, how's going your note 3 repair? My note 3 has the same issue on audio.. is it an hardware or software/firmware related problem?

I have an S4 Mini with the same issue, mostly happening on the left channel. I'm an audio engineer so currently I use Nuendo or Adobe Audition to edit these annoying pops out. I just called Samsung and they told me to do a factory reset, which I highly doubt will be the issue. My wife has the same phone so I will test with hers tonight and post my results here.

I have tested both phones. Mine is the only one that does this sound. It is intermittent but does happen mostly on the left channel but sometimes in the right. I have been told to take the phone to Samsung.
    Last edited by gdmsndmxr; 03-26-2014 at 01:14 PM.