I hate my new Galaxy S4 .. Battery life drains 1% every MINUTE of use.

Fisack23

May 24, 2012
Visit site
Re: I hate my new Galaxy s4.. Battery life drains 1% every MINUTE of use.

Sorry if I missed this earlier, but do you live in an area with good reception? Switching back and forth and trying to find carriers kills my battery in my area.

mhinc

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site

Thanks to most for encouraging help.
I downloaded Carat?(Only app I could find that monitors the programs chewing away at your battery life? the rest just seem to tell you what % your battery is at) and it did not give me any improvements.. it said if I turned off "Active App" manager I would add 20 minutes battery life but 20 minutes is nothing..

I turned off location services as well.

Any other idea's?
I have rooted my phone.. But keep in mind this is a new phone to me so there are likely many things I am unaware of that are running somewhere.

You got a dud, as was mentioned above, return it before the over the counter no question time period is up.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Once again... and I will underline it this time

The seller does nothing but sell cell phones, he had like 10 other S4's sell within a week of mine being purchased.
So unless this guy had REALLY bad problems with phones and just kept buying...(by all means npunk use that excuse..)

Of course he could be somehow buying ones with issues, reboxing them after spending a good 30+ minutes to make sure they look spotless new without fingerprints or hand oils.. But again thats a stretch.

@npunk
So I came in, basically said I hate android/galaxy s4. You REALLLLY love them(why else you are here) and took offense to this. So now are being critical to every post I make.
https://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/3544281600/h52E6A770/

---

So I went ahead and went to stock. Did not want to but after swapping 2 batteries I figured thats the next "bad guy" on the list. The battery drain still happened. So I went out and got yet ANOTHER oem battery. This time the battery is not draining nearly as bad.. It has sat here for 4 hours and drained 2% idling.

2 batteries bad? Go figure.. Sorry if I wasted anyones time, however I do believe this thread will be helpful to anyone in the future with drain problems.

I understand... He could of sold 100...does it mean there is no way he sold a bad one?

Bigger question... Do manufacturers and carrier sell "duds"? Of course! It's technology and stuff happens... But the joy of buying from a manufacturer/carrier versus ebay... You can get another one easily.

So don't hate people here for the answer they are giving. You asked.. And everyone else responded with their S4 results.. They aren't experiencing it. So if everyone else is fine but yours is the only one that's not.. Usually points to a dud.

Sent from my Sprint HTC One using AC forums.

ncreptile

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site

Its working now thank goodness. I was at 90% this morning and now at 86% and I have made 2 5 minute calls, done some testing and a few minutes of net browsing. I can deal with that.
I even upped the brightness to 40%(living large right?)

I cant deal with the 1% a minute battery issue.. Glad I got that fixed. Are the batteries under warranty since the phone was purchased such a short time ago?
I hate to break it to you buddy, but that's exactly what happened. There are dealers that buy up returns VERY CHEAPLY then clean them up and sell them. That's what they do, like used car dealers. They look nice, but they have been proven to be too much trouble to fix. On a good day you might have bought one with a more tolerable problem, maybe one that had a cracked screen replaced and blinks a little. But it seems you got one that drains batteries. If you paid by credit card you might be able to get you money back. Its worth a try. Get a good one from a reliable source, and think of all those extra batteries you have to switch out. LOL!

ncreptile

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site

Understood, and I am not blaming anyone or trying to sound like a jerk.
Im just glad the issue is fixed and thank you all for suggestions/help.
I understand... He could of sold 100...does it mean there is no way he sold a bad one?

Bigger question... Do manufacturers and carrier sell "duds"? Of course! It's technology and stuff happens... But the joy of buying from a manufacturer/carrier versus ebay... You can get another one easily.

So don't hate people here for the answer they are giving. You asked.. And everyone else responded with their S4 results.. They aren't experiencing it. So if everyone else is fine but yours is the only one that's not.. Usually points to a dud.

Sent from my Sprint HTC One using AC forums.

ISiddiqui

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site

Interestingly, I just saw this, which seems apt (which means if your battery really sucks, it may be a bum phone):

Which-phone-has-the-best-battery-life.jpg

Which High-End Smartphone Has the Best Battery Life (Infographic) | Geeky Stuffs

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site

Its working now thank goodness. I was at 90% this morning and now at 86% and I have made 2 5 minute calls, done some testing and a few minutes of net browsing. I can deal with that.
I even upped the brightness to 40%(living large right?)

I cant deal with the 1% a minute battery issue.. Glad I got that fixed. Are the batteries under warranty since the phone was purchased such a short time ago?

I would think so, yes...but it may depend on where you live, where you bought it, etc...

My S4 battery is fine, but I had an issue with one of my previous phones I had with Verizon, and they definitely replaced it for free since I was still under warranty (I reported it about 2 weeks after I bought the phone).

delta7

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Jul 12, 2013
Visit site

if you waant your battery to stop draining use clea master will help you clean privancy ,uninstall app who eats your battery my s3 and s4 battery stay forlong hours

elinash93

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site

All accessories that come in the box are covered under a 1 year warranty from time of purchase, which includes the battery as well as the ear buds.

Sent from my Galaxy S4

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site

There's not, you got a dud device or some things wrong with the battery. Enough people have seen good-great results to establish that your case is an outlier. The idea theres some conspiracy is just silly. When you hear hoof beats, see hoof prints... Look for horses, not zebras.

Posted via Android Central App

NO one is getting 8 hours of browsing on that phone, especially not if they're using a bit of LTE. Those review tests shout not be taken seriously.

Also iPhone and itouch devices charge incredibly fast to 80 pct so battery is not much of an issue on them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

astroboi82

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site

Thats ridiculous. You shouldn't have to turn anything off. I leave wifi, bluetooth, everything ON and get tremendous battery life. What's the point of the phone if you turn off the functionality? Leaving my phone unplugged for the night with all that on will drain a few percentage points.

OP -- Get some apps to track your battery stats and find where your drain is.

Yea I Have everything turned on all the time on mine and I also have the screen at full brightness, I use my phone heavily at work during the day and it always makes it through to the end of the day no problem

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site

I may have to do a factory reset as you all say. But God I hope not.. I have done so much work to this phone after the past week to get it where I want it and now.. gah

Thanks for your help.

I leave everything on. Batteries drain more quickly than i'd like, for sure, but--60% an hour? Nah.

I suspected a defective something the minute I saw the post. Glad it's been discovered. (Not so happy with one of the Anker batteries I have myself, but even that's not dying at 60% an hour).

Notsosure

May 21, 2013
Visit site

Here is screenshots I took of my battery. I'm currently using Anker 5200mah battery for my s4. Loving the battery, only issue is there isn't really any case that I can use with the extended battery.
I do not use any of the features like smart scroll, smart pause, and air view. I have snapdragon battery guru on that automatically turns my WiFi on and off. I consider myself a decently heavy user for games, music, internet, and social apps.

Edit: just found out seidio active extended battery case works with this anker extended battery. I will most likely order one. Had 2 other seidio cases in the past and both were great. Looking forward to finally putting a compatible case on this baby.

jaranuby.jpg

agany8y2.jpg

Sent from my Galaxy S4

Last edited:

shoii

May 17, 2013
Visit site

Here is screenshots I took of my battery. I'm currently using Anker 5200mah battery for my s4. Loving the battery, only issue is there isn't really any case that I can use with the extended battery.
I do not use any of the features like smart scroll, smart pause, and air view. I have snapdragon battery guru on that automatically turns my WiFi on and off. I consider myself a decently heavy user for games, music, internet, and social apps.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/07/13/jaranuby.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/07/13/agany8y2.jpg
Sent from my Galaxy S4

Holy **** lol

anon(6174973)

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/07/13/jaranuby.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/07/13/agany8y2.jpg
Sent from my Galaxy S4

Not bad for a gamer.

Sent from my HP Slate 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

lareschultz

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site

It may be that easy for you to just trash a $600 investment, but not for most of us. I conccur with the writer above. I don't use it so much, but everyday end up barely with enough power to complete a phone call. And I have not begun to use half of the features--s voice, etc, as they are not so easy to learn. I also bought the galazy note 10.1, which I could just about throw out the window for all the problems it gives. me. We buy these gadjets to make things easier and more pleasurable, not to frustrate. Cannot communicate between my 2 galaxy devices with bluetooth. The external keyboard I bought ineracts well with galaxy S4, but stopped working with the note 10.1. Says it is paired, but does not function. $100 keyboard I cannot use with it. ipad is twice the tablet of the galaxy as far as I can tell. My brother got his at the same time I got the galaxy. While i had used ipad before he had not. He is now far ahead of me in using his ipad compared to me making sense of the note 10.1. I don't have tens of hours to "learn" these devices, but it is not so easy to just swallow a $1000 loss as you imply it is. Would return them both if I could and buy apple, as much as I dislike much of thier business practices.

starbuckk

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site

Wow. I would not trade my S4 or Note 10.1 for two each of Apple devices. The issues you seem to be having are not typical.
I do think there isva bug in S4 related to battery and camera use. May need to restart occasionally to get around it.
Feel free to post your 10.1 isdues on that board. Plenty of help there.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

starbuckk

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site

Ps. To communicate between the devices use Wifi direct. They will connect peer to peer without a network and its faster than bluetooth.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gofuckyourselfandroid