Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Verizon software update

Just looked at my phone and it is downloading OTA software update. I am on Verizon network.
    Thanked by:
    nickgalaxys4 and Necrodox like this.

Default Re: Verizon software update

Weird...I didn't think the most recently released update will go through OTA over VZW since the size of it is almost 2 gig, I had to install Kies yesterday to get that particular update. And I just double checked to see if VZW released a small carrier update OTA and it says my phone is up to date.

Sent from my Galaxy S4

Cheers mate, same here.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

so since this is 2 gig size update are we now down to 7gig available to use since prior to update we had only 9 available?

Global Posts
    67 Global Posts

i just hit update on my vzw s4 and it's downloading the update.... i'm in NYC if that helps...

Will be interested to see change log. Other than the apps 2 sd thing, I haven't noticed anything.

Global Posts
    115 Global Posts

sorry to hijack the thread , any news on Canadian company like FIDO or Rogers pushing this update soon
    thx
    Model Number:I337M Canada-Fido changed to GT-I9505
    ROM: Omega v12 Jelly Bean 4.2.2
    Ausdim kernel V19 +3minit 3.5
    Recovery: TWRP 2.6.3.0
    Modem:I337MVLUAMG1

Global Posts
    1,797 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by wallstreet123456 View Post
    so since this is 2 gig size update are we now down to 7gig available to use since prior to update we had only 9 available?
    2Gigs? Mine was >400Mbs. We are talking about the Apps2Sd update aren't we?
    Edit: Im also on Sprint so maybe less carrier bloat? Idk.

From my Sammy Galaxy S4

Global Posts
    129 Global Posts

No. The update overwrites some of your existing rom. I actually had slightly more free space after the update.

Posted via Android Central App

OTAs are often smaller in size than Kies updates (because they are only updates, whereas the offline update files are full images).

Just a warning to all here...if you are rooted or plan to root in the future, be warned that this update will update the bootloader, and at this time there is no way to root it. Again, if you install this update, you will NOT be able to root your phone. If you're OK with that, then proceed...
    PSA: Do NOT install update (VRUAME7) for Verizon GS4 if you want to root your device!
    Thanked by:

ROM
    aokp 34

did the check on mine said it was up to date but then clicked look now for updates and there is one downlaoding it now

ROM
    Stock Deodexed Froyo

Just looked at my phone and it is downloading OTA software update. I am on Verizon network.
    I had to search for/refresh it in my settings but it's downloading it now too! Yay.
    My Smartphone Journey on Big Red:
    Motorola Droid --> Motorola Droid 2 --> Samsung Fascinate --> iPhone 4S --> Samsung Galaxy S4
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

What does this update actually do, I was trying to find a list of things it does but was not able to find anything. I know from what people are saying that it locks the bootloader and allows for apps to be moved to SD card but are there any other changes/fixes?

OTA installed here and noticed there was a new option for "Text Legibility". Still searching.

I'd also love a list of the changes. All I've noticed is a transparent status bar which I'd like to change and can't find it settings. Help! :-)

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    224 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

PSA:

If your rooted, this will break root and right now there is no way to restore root access.

You've been warned.

Posted via Android Central App

I went ahead and updated my 32gb. I see no difference that others are touting. It was fast before and still is. Does not run cooler for me and reception seems the same as well(same as S3).

The S4 seems to hold on to 4G better, but dBm signal is virtually the same on both and was this way prior to the update.

Must be mainly technical fixes, tweaks and Trojan horse root killer, plus a heavy dose of grounded sugar pill on top.

Me, too. My understanding is that Samsung/VZW were pushing an update soon that allows movement of apps to Ext SD Card?

nice! time for me to go buy a bigger SD card

And, indeed, I just looked at my Application Manager, chose a random, non-bloatware app, and it gave me the option to "Move to SD Card". Those are four of the most glorious words I have heard in days...

I did the update last night through my laptop.

Before I had updated, at one point I had disabled the PageBuddyNotiSvc app in the application settings menu to get rid of the stupid suggestions that pop up when I plug headphones or an aux cable in. Upon doing the update this app got re-enabled. This morning I had disabled it again and not only did the suggestions go away, but so did the stupid volume warnings. So that is a welcome change.

It does seem a bit snappier now too, and I thought it was fast and lag free before anyway.
    black Verizon Wireless Samsung Galaxy S4 16GB + 32GB SD card
    Thanked by:

if you move the app to SD card does the cache go with it?

Quote Originally Posted by jasonb View Post
    I did the update last night through my laptop.

Before I had updated, at one point I had disabled the PageBuddyNotiSvc app in the application settings menu to get rid of the stupid suggestions that pop up when I plug headphones or an aux cable in. Upon doing the update this app got re-enabled. This morning I had disabled it again and not only did the suggestions go away, but so did the stupid volume warnings. So that is a welcome change.

It does seem a bit snappier now too, and I thought it was fast and lag free before anyway.
    Huge thanks here. Had no idea how to get rid of that.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AC Forums mobile app
    spotnjack likes this.

http://www.verizonwireless.com/galaxys4update tells what is in the update.

I did an update test and it shows update ready to download. I rejected it but only because I'm not home and don't want to risk something going wrong and being without a phone and away from home. I will not root my phone so will take the update as soon as I'm safe at home.

This is an excellent update. You can go to application manager and scroll over to see all apps that can move to the SD card. I've moved a bunch including the AC forum app. In addition everything is running much faster. I had very little last but now it's amazing. The swype feature on Google keyboard used to lag a little and it's so smooth now. Very pleased with this update.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AC Forums mobile app
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast