Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    39 Global Posts

Default AT&T software update disabled my foxfi hotspot

I just tried using my hotspot and it says I need to call 611 to use it. Before the upgrade I never had a problem.

Global Posts
    108 Global Posts

Default Re: AT&T software update disabled my foxfi hotspot

Uh... We're you paying for a tethering plan?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

If its the same one that is rolling out on Verizon, people have said it disables hotspot tethering.

It disable ES File Explorer tethering too.

Pay for it and you won't ever have this problem again.

Posted via Android Central App
    jneusch, Ezduzit and satannik like this.

Global Posts
    1,532 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Rooted Mk3

Why should he pay for a service that is was initially intended to be free? Google included the feature with the intention of it being free to use. It was the money hungry carriers who decided to take it and use it as just another feature to squeeze more money out of the consumer. As if basic cell phone service wasn't high enough.

As for the problem it can be fixed with a very simple smali edit inside your services.jar. Although I don't have the device so I wouldn't be able to confirm if it works or not.

Sprint GS3 Running TN's Msg and Chubbs
    Current Laptop - Samsung Ativ 4 Book, Ivy Bridge I7 @ 2.00GHz per Core, 8GB DDR3 Ram, Intel HD 4000, 750GB SATA

Please don't thank me unless I have helped you in some way, if you like my post then click like not thanks.

Check out my github @ https://github.com/gollum18 or My Android Applications @ http://lrdev.net76.net

Foxfi not working

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by leprechaun26 View Post
    Check out this thread. Worked for me.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Global Posts
    39 Global Posts

Thanks for the response that worked and very Tru why should I pay to use my data plan if I already pay who cares if I'm using it on another device

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using AC Forums mobile app
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Global Posts
    39 Global Posts

Make comments that help don't tell me the obvious I know if I pay for it I won't have the problem again

Shon123 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by gollum18 View Post
    Why should he pay for a service that is was initially intended to be free? Google included the feature with the intention of it being free to use. It was the money hungry carriers who decided to take it and use it as just another feature to squeeze more money out of the consumer. As if basic cell phone service wasn't high enough.

As for the problem it can be fixed with a very simple smali edit inside your services.jar. Although I don't have the device so I wouldn't be able to confirm if it works or not.

Sprint GS3 Running TN's Msg and Chubbs
    Quote Originally Posted by joseatnj View Post
    Thanks for the response that worked and very Tru why should I pay to use my data plan if I already pay who cares if I'm using it on another device

I've had many discussions about this and before I say this let me say.. I agree. They should let us use it with our current data plan (in my opinion) but...

In this world what the contract says goes. Always. You signed it so you agreed. If you go read your contract it says your data plan is for your phone.. Not your laptop to use your phone connection. It explicitly says it's for your phones data use.. Unless of course you add tethering.

Messed up? Sure.. But that's why they got those high priced lawyers.

Sent from my Sprint HTC One using AC forums.
    Thanked by:
    Ezduzit likes this.

Can verify this on the ATT version of the phone. If you have FoxFi and you just hit the home key when the pop window occurs, the program will work.

ES File Explorer was updated but the update did not reactivate the ability to tether on the S4.

Edited to change cancel to home key.
    Last edited by Farish; 07-11-2013 at 05:08 PM.

I just got around to installing FoxFi on my AT&T GS4 and it crashes every time I activate the Wifi Hotspot.

ROM
    UCLF5

This replaced Fox fi for me....

Carlos McNulty likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Farish View Post
    Can verify this on the ATT version of the phone. If you have FoxFi and you just hit the cancel key when the pop window occurs, the program will work.

ES File Explorer was updated but the update did not reactivate the ability to tether on the S4.
    Hitting cancel on Vzw S4 w/ updated firmware doesnt work. When pop up emerges hitting home button works for me only.
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

Global Posts
    39 Global Posts

Hitting the home button also worked for me also and I'm on at&t

Quote Originally Posted by Xingularity View Post

This replaced Fox fi for me....

Huh??

Can verify this on the ATT version of the phone. If you have FoxFi and you just hit the cancel key when the pop window occurs, the program will work.

Sorry folks I meant the home key.

Quote Originally Posted by AMG_Roadster View Post
    I just got around to installing FoxFi on my AT&T GS4 and it crashes every time I activate the Wifi Hotspot.
    Reboot your phone. Try it again, you need to hit the home key when the popup comes up with the word cancel on it.

I was able to connect my iPad Mini to this with zero issues.

Reboot your phone. Try it again, you need to hit the home key when the popup comes up with the word cancel on it.

I was able to connect my iPad Mini to this with zero issues.
    First thing I tried was a reboot. I tried this before posting. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Quote Originally Posted by joseatnj View Post

Tethered laptops use lots more bandwidth than just the phone. Mobile hotspot IS supposed to be included on metered plans on Verizon but grandfathered unlimited plans must pay for the extra demand.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by starbuckk View Post
    Tethered laptops use lots more bandwidth than just the phone. Mobile hotspot IS supposed to be included on metered plans on Verizon but grandfathered unlimited plans must pay for the extra demand.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2
    Absolutely wrong. Verizon is not allowed to restrict, block, or force people to pay for tethering on their data plans. They get away with it because you let them too.

They can (and likely will) force you onto a capped plan if you are caught tethering on a grandfathered unlimited plan without paying. And once you lose that plan it is gone forever. Want to risk it?

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk HD

They can (and likely will) force you onto a capped plan if you are caught tethering on a grandfathered unlimited plan without paying. And once you lose that plan it is gone forever. Want to risk it?

Att is the only one is pursuing tethering detection. All these problems are solved with a use of a vpn.

They havent yet to anyone and they wont. Relax.

OMG... I almost busted a gut when I read that. No, tethering is not supported on the Verizon metered plans. I have both Verizon and AT&T phones and they do the same thing (telling you to sign up for the feature). The big American carriers are optimizing their profits by making use buy tether plans to enable this built in feature that other people in the world get to enjoy for free. If I have a 2gb data plan, why should I pay extra? It doesn't cost them a thing.
    Thanked by:
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast