Neo Hybrid vs Commuter

lauraepv

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
Hi, total Android noob over here!
It's been exactly a week since I switched from my Iphone 4S to the Galaxy S4 and have this forum extremly helpful in solving so many of my questions or issues! Hoping someone can help me out with my latest debate...
Im looking at the SPIGEN Neo Hybrid and Otterbox Commuter. Does anyone have any experience with both or any one of them? I think the Neo Hybrid is better looking but find myself wondering about how protective it is.... The Otterbox seems like better protection for drops and such.
What do you think?

Thanks in advance for your opinions!

mlauzon

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
I use the OtterBox Defender on my S4 as well as my Galaxy Nexus, it may be bulky -- I don't care -- and it's the best at protecting against drops!

abishai#AC

Aug 3, 2011
Visit site
I have the neo hybrid and love it. Had a Seidio surface before that but couldn't stand the gap where the two pieces come together. The neo has been great for me because it doesn't add much bulk, I can grip the phone, and it has enough protection for how I use my phone. Can't speak for the Otterbox but it should be a great case but with a little more bulk.

lauraepv

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
Thanks guys... I used the defender on my iphone and it was a life saver more than once. I have a 1.5 year old toddler and she likes playing with whatever she can ger her clumsy hands on!

Does the neo hybrid offer any type of protection from drops?

Sent from my SGH-I337M using AC Forums mobile app

singjai

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
I have the neo hybrid and the case is the best looking in my opinion. The drop protection is decent. I dropped my phone once on concrete and scraped the case. I do have the glast r so it will protect a bit more if I dropped it face down. The only issue I have with the neo hybrid is that if it's in my pocket and I move around a lot, the corner/side of my galaxy s4 gets slipped out so I have to keep pushing it back into the case.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AC Forums mobile app

mlauzon

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
I have the neo hybrid and the case is the best looking in my opinion. The drop protection is decent. I dropped my phone once on concrete and scraped the case.

And here's the reason to get the Defender....

The only issue I have with the neo hybrid is that if it's in my pocket and I move around a lot, the corner/side of my galaxy s4 gets slipped out so I have to keep pushing it back into the case.

Also, as you know OtterBox has belt clips!

rkeenan

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
I have the Otterbox Commuter on the gs4 and I love it. I had the defender on my galaxy note 2. It was too bulky.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk 2

singjai

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
And here's the reason to get the Defender....

Only a small part of the case got scraped. It's not even noticeable unless you look for it. I'd rather have the thin sleek look than keep a giant defender in my pocket. As for how the phone sometimes slips out of of the case, the defender wins on that.

ISiddiqui

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
NeoHybrid looked great, but I hated how small the holes were for the micro-USB. Most of my older micro-USB to USB cords wouldn't fit. So I went with a smaller Spigen case - the Ultra Thin Air. Love it.

singjai

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
I'll say it again, and write it really big, because it is so obvious that you didn't see what I wrote:

Lol calm down, no need to have attitude. If you didn't know, some people don't really use belts, myself included. I use a belt maybe once or twice a month. What good would a belt clip do for someone who doesn't use belts? I was simply informing the OP that the phone slips out of the neo hybrid case and that's it. I wasn't even bashing on the otterbox. Nobody asked about using a belt clip. Also, your quote saying, "And here's the reason to get the Defender...." really didn't make any sense as the neo hybrid did prevent my phone from getting any damage.

lauraepv

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
Thanks everyone for your inputs.... I'm going to keep reading reviews on both of them and hopefully make up my mind during the weekend!

Sent from my SGH-I337M using AC Forums mobile app

mlauzon

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
Lol calm down, no need to have attitude. If you didn't know, some people don't really use belts, myself included. I use a belt maybe once or twice a month.

I haven't worn a belt since I was a child, back in the '80s, and even then it was only a few times. You don't need a belt to use a belt clip!