Proximity Sensor during calls does not work!

Juriaan727

May 7, 2013
Visit site
Hi all,

Recently, my phone has been having a problem with the proximity sensor during calls. When I finish a call, or want to look at my screen, the screen does not turn on by itself so I need to press the home button for the screen to light up. This is very annoying! I even turned off the option "Turn screen off during calls" (which is supposed to leave my screen lit up all the time) and the screen still goes black.

Any suggestions would be very appreciated!

NOTE: I am not using any case.

Last edited:

gcam77

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Dial *#0*# and this will take you to diagnostics menu. Touch "Sensor" then you will see readings for all the sensors on the phone. The reading from the proximity sensor is the second bold heading from the top. Read what numbers are being shown for ADC and post it.

MichaelBR

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Get application AndroSensor, by Fiv Asim.

Check if values of proximity sensor change as you move your hand close to the sensor. Check light sensor as well.

Whatever the result is, try and remember about any app you installed recently and remove them, and reboot the phone.

No luck? Next try would be a factory reset.

If the sensor values aren't changing, and reboot or reset don't help, then I'd suspect of hardware problem.

Recently I updated the firmware of mine, and SMS notifications stopped working. I rebooted the phone and it started to work again.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using AC Forums mobile app

MichaelCaz

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
I am having the exact same issue as the original post. I dialed *#0*#0 and got the following values

PROXIMITY: 0.0
ADC: 51(51,51,51)
TSP color ID: 10

Anybody able to translate that nonsense!? ;)

memtenn

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
Just had the same problem. I took my phone to best buy and got a factory reset and still nothing. Come to find out I had a glass screen protector on it that was covering up the sensor. Took it off and what do you know it works. I spent $35 on a glass screen protector I cant even use. I dont exactly know what the glass does to the sensor being transparent and all but my phone did not like it.

MichaelCaz

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
I went to the Sprint store, and they determined that my proximity sensor was shot. Replaced it, and now it works perfectly. Covered under warranty.

Ryan Ali1

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
Dial *#0*# and this will take you to diagnostics menu. Touch "Sensor" then you will see readings for all the sensors on the phone. The reading from the proximity sensor is the second bold heading from the top. Read what numbers are being shown for ADC and post it.

My s4 sensor all are not working, My ADC showing number 0(0,0,0) please help..how to fix.??

Last edited by a moderator:

ThaneCampbell

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
I have this problem on my new SGH-I337M that i customized with CM 11.o the day I bought it. I have been able to prove its my Otterbox case. Even though the proximity sensor and earpiece are not actually under the screen protector layer. I was going crazy, not being able to get the keypad to retrieve my voice mail, or terminate calls and make new one. Take the Otterbox cover off and the phone works perfectly.

Jawapaul

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
Hi All..... I have had this problem for a few Months now. Nothing can fix it. i.e. The Samsung Note 4 screen goes black straight away during calls whilst phone is down in the hand...... and needs to be woken by button push. Then goes black again..... then must be woken.... then black etc etc. Absolutely drives me crazy when in a call requiring menu response.... also one it is woken, screen often stays lit up, even when against the ear.....causing false screen push by face and settings change or call on hold by skin contact during the call. HELP ?!?!...... I just went back to Samsung Agent, after testing they said it was NOT software but a hardware problem. I was given a brand new Note 4 handset, so went home and replaced all contacts, mssge's and apps using the samsung back/up restore app. The Android Software also needed updating of course also. After just a few hours............ the fault is back !! On the brand new handset ?!! I have no screen protector or cover over the proximity sensor..... There is no dust.... and the proximity sensor works perfectly when tested using #*0#*

What to do ?? I will try anything that helps..... This is getting crazy now.

1rahul

May 12, 2016
Visit site

ADC:118

Zakaria Ouh

Jul 5, 2015
Visit site
hey.
i have a samsung s5.
i have a got a faulty proximity sensor, my screen goes off and black when i'm calling.
the gestures and the air view options totally don't work.

i dialed *#0*#.
when i click on sensor option my phone keeps vibrating and screen turns green as in the screenshot.
could you please tell me what could be the problem?
the problem has always happened since the first day i bought the phone, it had no screen glass or protector.
i even tried cleaning the sensors , and tried to blow air through the ear speaker trying to clean dust from the sensors.
waiting to hearing from you soon.
thanks a tons.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-03-07-09-54-43.jpg
    Screenshot_2017-03-07-09-54-43.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 8

Pilgrimdou11

Aug 6, 2017
Visit site
My solution how to fix the screen goes black when calling or Proximity sensor doesn't work correctly.
Samsung A5 2016, no root:

Settings - Display - Screen Mode

Default setting was "Adaptive Display" and after I changed it for the next one "AMOLED Cinema" everything works fine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance