Why can't I send pictures via text?

packerbacker

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
I searched the forum and did find a possible answer to this (there are size limits as to what you can send via text). However, when I try to send a picture, it never gives me an error message saying the file is too large - the little circle keeps spinning and spinning forever until I cancel it. I just wanted someone to confirm that my issue is just that my pictures are too big rather than something being wrong with my phone. (I did seem to have this issue with my original Galaxy Fascinate like three years ago.)

I really didn't want to sound like a noob here! :p

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
Most phones automatically resize the pictures to a resolution acceptable for mms...I suggest going into you messaging app settings> mms> and see what you have the maximum size set to.

tvouge

Feb 9, 2012
Visit site
Yea, I have the same problem. It is the picture size. I'm able to forward pictures sent to me, but anything taken on my phone stalls like you describe. I'm not sure what the file size limit is, but I've just taken to emailing photos instead. I believe the maximuim size you can send on verizon is 1.2 mb, but their help faq wasn't very specific/helpfull.

Go Pack Go!

Posted via Android Central App

packerbacker

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
Most phones automatically resize the pictures to a resolution acceptable for mms...I suggest going into you messaging app settings> mms> and see what you have the maximum size set to.

Under MMS (in the Messaging App settings) I only see these fields (with check boxes):
Delivery Reports, Auto-retrieve, Romating auto-retrieve, MMS alert, and Group Conversations

Help. :(

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Oh well that's dumb!

Yeah depends on the phone.. Not sure why. With my Sprint S3 I could send over wifi.. An update came out and I couldn't anymore and it will always need mobile data.

Then I switched to my HTC One and I can send over wifi again. Very odd :eek:.

Sent from my Sprint HTC One using AC forums.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
When MMS first started becoming a popular feature on phones, most of those phones had pretty crappy cameras that took very pics with very small file sizes...unfortunately the technology of cell phone cameras has far exceeded that of MMS. As noted, for example, Verizon's size limit of MMS messages is 1.2MB, and that is actually on the high end compared to many other carriers. The S4's 13MP camera, on the other hand, is capable of taking hi-res pics that exceed that size limit by 2 to 3 times for a single photo.

SMS/MMS is, in my opinion, antiquated technology. Apple had the right idea with iMessage, which seemlessly integrates with their phones' SMS/MMS interface yet allows for much larger files to be sent and can utilize wifi and faster mobile data technologies for message handling (traditional SMS/MMS is carried over voice channels, it doesn't even utilize 3G/4G data). Most iPhone users don't even understand that there is a difference between iMessage and SMS/MMS...which is why it works so well (for Apple owners). It would be great if there truly was a universal solution similar to iMessage yet available to all smartphone users...Google Hangouts may one day get there once it integrates with SMS/MMS as Google has claimed it soon will, but I'm not holding my breath on that one until I've seen it in action.

Regardless, if you want to share the awesome pics you take with your S4, MMS is probably not the route to take. Email does work much better.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site

Oh well that's dumb!

Yeah depends on the phone.. Not sure why. With my Sprint S3 I could send over wifi.. An update came out and I couldn't anymore and it will always need mobile data.

Then I switched to my HTC One and I can send over wifi again. Very odd :eek:.

As I mentioned in my post above, SMS/MMS is carried over the same channels that carry voice calls, which is why it won't work over wifi (the same reason you can't make calls with a wifi only connection). Some carriers may have technology in place to allow voice and SMS over wifi, such as Sprint, however most do not...(and even on Sprint is appears that the phone has to support it as well).

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
As I mentioned in my post above, SMS/MMS is carried over the same channels that carry voice calls, which is why it won't work over wifi (the same reason you can't make calls with a wifi only connection). Some carriers may have technology in place to allow voice and SMS over wifi, such as Sprint, however most do not...(and even on Sprint is appears that the phone has to support it as well).

Oh I know how it's carried.. Just saying I've experienced both sides of the fence and not sure why some do and some don't. Especially since my S3 did.. Till an update.. So it is like they forced it to.

And I can tell wifi versus carrier on MMS because it sends in under a second on my home wifi or my works breakroom wifi... On 3g about 10 seconds.

JudH

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
some do and some don't.

Like someone said above SPRINT is a special case. In order to offer Google Voice as an integrated option Sprint had to modify their MMS servers to support access via the public Internet rather than just their private network like every other carrier. A side effect is it allows Sprint (and Virgin Mobile--same servers) users to do MMS over WiFi even if they don't use the Google Voice service.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Like someone said above SPRINT is a special case. In order to offer Google Voice as an integrated option Sprint had to modify their MMS servers to support access via the public Internet rather than just their private network like every other carrier. A side effect is it allows Sprint (and Virgin Mobile--same servers) users to do MMS over WiFi even if they don't use the Google Voice service.

Ah that makes sense! Thanks for the verification. :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae