Samsung Galaxy S4 battery life problems

tytlyf

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site
Hi all! Help! Same problem. Every time my back is turned, google Play Music is fired up and chews the battery.. I've tried uninstalling it as it's not the player I use anyway but next thing I know it's automatically installing again. Sneaky and insidious!! Susie
You can disable it in the Application Manager "All" tab.

Martin Canton

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I've got the same problem, the battery would easily last a day for the first week but now it only lasts 3 hours on a full charge and it does get very hot...

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Again, ensure you disabled all location services and only use GPS and Bluetooth when you really need them. ...battery vampires they are.

Sent from my Eclipsed S4

troshs

Trusted Member
Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
If I can get at least a decent 8 hrs out of mine I'm good...but then again I'm awake for about 12 so might be a little off...Everybody's usage is different, so maybe an extended battery would be good for you. :)

Bdonny

Aug 22, 2013
Visit site
My S4 battery says it has 38% left on it. When I go into an app it shuts down completely. When I try to turn it on again it tells me that the battery is fully drained and has to be recharged. I went into the shop where I bought it and they have no idea what is wrong with it. Does anyone else have this problem?

hpmini2009

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
My S4 battery says it has 38% left on it. When I go into an app it shuts down completely. When I try to turn it on again it tells me that the battery is fully drained and has to be recharged. I went into the shop where I bought it and they have no idea what is wrong with it. Does anyone else have this problem?
Try running any application until you get a battery % of 5. You may have to go into your application manager to setup battery on right top of screen. My Galaxy S4 Active will always prompt me at 20%. Still run it down to 5% and will give you a longer usage between charges. Another tip is go in to your RAM and stop background processes. half of them aren't being used, ie. Samsung and any app related to Samsung. Also turn on power saver and Brightness setups on scroll down on home page. You set this up in settings/my device/display and notifications brightness adjustments. Manual for Galaxy S4 is somewhat out of date for some AT&T models. Samsung sent me a link for the i337 model 157 pages.

Bdonny

Aug 22, 2013
Visit site
Unfortunately I can't let the battery run down any further. Yesterday it said I had 40% left on the battery so I went into an app and the phone died again. I tried to switch it back on but it said the battery was totally drained even though not even a minute beforehand it said I had 40% left. I downloaded a battery doctor and it says I still have power left on the phone but then it dies a few seconds later with a completely drained battery. I got about 12 hours out of the battery yesterday before this happened.

bashar_odh

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
My s4 is 2 months old at first I had the same problem but lately I cleard all unwanted apps and also cleand the ram just by pressing on the home button then press on the first button from the left... after that u'll have ur s4 stay stay up to 1 day with normal use.

markbc

Jul 20, 2011
Visit site
I have pretty good battery life on the S4, and have since purchasing it two months or so ago. What I did do is:

- Disable Google Now (which drains the battery very quickly and was not so hot to use)

- Uninstall Google Maps (which are convenient but a) use a lot of the battery and b) track the hell out me and where I am and what I am searching. Mapquest is more benign on battery and privacy.

- Installed the app Greenify, then had it hybernate all the apps that my (Better Battery Stats) review of my phone showed me were waking up constantly and not helping me constantly. (You can still instantly use all of those apps -so this approach is better than using TIBU to freeze the app!)

- Installed DS BAttery Saver which is tremendous at keeping things asleep when you phone screen is off and not in use.

Not sure I could go three days as one poster has, but with 3+ hours of screen time, navigation, searches, some music, much email, a lot of newsgroup reading, a bit of video and even a 1/2 a chess game I was still at 30% or so after about 28 hours. . . (Sort of better than those new Motorolas ;-)

Here is a screen shot .
Good Luck

Attachments

• battery-life.jpg
    battery-life.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 53

hpmini2009

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
Are there any other apps that can be shutdown in application manager? Noticed from screenshot no Android OS? I keep getting a mobile tracker app that I have to shutdown every time I recharge battery. I'm .only using 30% brightness for screen. I get about 2 days of battery life. Shutting off wifi at night. I don't use the preinstalled email app because it doesn't work with mail server at college. Did you install any of Samsung apps? Thanks for Greenify and Battery Saver suggestions.

markbc

Jul 20, 2011
Visit site
I can't say directly what apps are good or not good to shutdown. That is better determined by you, based on your use and looking at battery usage. (Some high-use apps may be doing exactly what you want -and you won't want to turn them off. Others, I might use and you might not...)

You can get DSBattery Stats Pro or Better Battery Stats and have those two monitor for about 48 hours and they will show you which app is sucking how much battery.
Then, use Greenify to hibernate those apps; and using DS Battery Saver in the balanced profile will really optimize your phone's usage. Warning: every once in a while when you quickly turn on the phone and seek to hit a web site, or use S voice/google or some web app you will see a "first time" lag as wifi wakes up or the app wakes up, But that is rare and it is transitory (and to me it is worth the hours of added use.)

But your two days of battery use is pretty darn good!

I just looked again at my phone -this is several hours after the original reply and I have tethered my Kindle Fire HD for about an hour, (charging at the same time) read some RSS, listened to music and looked at (and taken) some pictures. Now the usage mix is slightly different Android System is at 6% and Android OS has appeared at 4%. If I think I am going to use my screen for longer than about 5 minutes I turn off auto screen brightness and run the screen at max brightness --I really have not seen a dramatic issue with doing that!

As to Samsung Apps.. I have started using the health app and it is pretty neat. I have a Samsung account, but don't really use it very much if ever. . . I have not uninstalled the samsung apps, but may have hibernated a lot of those I don't use. . .

Finally, if the default mail app does not work for your school server -try Moxier app which works easily with all MS Exchange servers. The down side is it is a stand alone app and almost "fire walled" from the system (almost) the good part is that it is the easiest app to configure with an exchange server I have ever used. (you do need to pay for the pro version if you like it, and for an app it is not cheap, but it is dependable. ) just a suggestion. . .

Good Luck! (Although you're doing really great with battery use right now ;-)

Last edited:

hpmini2009

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
I would like to disable/uninstall Mobile Tracker. Thanks for the suggestions on email will check into it. Android OS is running at 12% and I have noticed sometime it runs even higher. Is that normal?

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
- Disable Google Now (which drains the battery very quickly and was not so hot to use)

- Uninstall Google Maps (which are convenient but a) use a lot of the battery and b) track the hell out me and where I am and what I am searching. Mapquest is more benign on battery and privacy.

I think I have my problems solved (or at least temporarily, since they come and go), but I love this stuff. I couldn't disable them.

So, last month I'm walking down the street at an unusual part of the city, and I was thinking I needed to pick some stuff up at the drugstore. I pull out my phone. I tap twice to bring Google Voice search. I say, "Where is the nearest CVS pharmacy?" Pause. It comes up with a list of 5, plus links to a map to tell me how to get there if I need it. The 21st Century is wonderful. ;) Lack of "privacy" in tracking location is a feature not a bug or a problem. WIthout that GPS, it can't tell me what pharmacies are near to me, and it can't tell me how to navigate from my location to where I ask to go.

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
I disabled Google Now because I really don't have a use for it, at least for now.

But Google maps I use very often! If you don't want it to track you, just disable that feature.

Sent From a Galaxy S4 Away!

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
I think I have my problems solved (or at least temporarily, since they come and go), but I love this stuff. I couldn't disable them.

So, last month I'm walking down the street at an unusual part of the city, and I was thinking I needed to pick some stuff up at the drugstore. I pull out my phone. I tap twice to bring Google Voice search. I say, "Where is the nearest CVS pharmacy?" Pause. It comes up with a list of 5, plus links to a map to tell me how to get there if I need it. The 21st Century is wonderful. ;) Lack of "privacy" in tracking location is a feature not a bug or a problem. WIthout that GPS, it can't tell me what pharmacies are near to me, and it can't tell me how to navigate from my location to where I ask to go.
The recent update to the Google Play services has helped cut down how much battery Google Now uses by quite a bit. I've turned mine back on and for the past two days it's been significantly better than it was in the past as far as battery drain is concerned. I also haven't noticed a drop in accuracy but I have noticed it checks my location about half as much as before. My guess is that's where the battery savings has come from.

Akshit Kamra

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
I also have same battery issues, but I figured it out tht how to solve these issues.
Firstly The main problem is with the google updates, so uninstall all the google related updates nd restore it to factory settings and try to ignore HD quality wallpapers, it consumes battery, try using dark nd dull colors wallpapers.
Secondly., try to avoid anti virus cause it consumes more battery than other apps.
I recommend juice defender cause it is the best app to save battery.

Ninjus

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
I tried doing *#0228# then I pressed quick start. My battery suddenly went down. I also experienced that my phone was still 15% and it suddenly turned off then I plugged it in only to find out that it is already 0%. It just happened recently and I have this phone for almost 4mos. What should I do?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-08-28-08-38-53.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-08-28-08-38-53.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:

omega7900

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
The antivirus drains alot remove it not many virus exist on android phones

The antivirus u have its battery killer remove it becuse not many virus exist on android

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol