How to remove the camera shutter sound?

Giant Lizard

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
I just bought a Galaxy S4 and I saw it's quite impossible to disable the camera shutter sound.

I already tried to:

1) put mute or vibration mode

2) search for an option in the camera setting

3) installed Enforced Stream Silencer

Nothing works :(

the only workaround is explained here: Samsung Galaxy S4: How to Take a Camera Picture Without Shutter Sound - YouTube

This actually works for me too, but of course it's not really comfortable. There are not other methods or applications as Enforced Stream Silencer which work on my Galaxy S4 too?

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Depending on you carrier this might not be possible. On the ATT model you can easily turn the shutter sound off. Not sure about the other carriers.

Giant Lizard

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
as I said, also with mute it doesn't work :\

I'm looking for some application which do this, as Enforced Stream Silencer was supposed to do.

Last edited:

00Early

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
Ive had the same problems. Ive been trying to find where the sound files are so i can can silence them like that. But if you search silent camera, theres a few apps that will work. I was just trying to use the original camera app that came with the phone.

tytlyf

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site
If you lower the phone volume to mute before opening the camera app, it should work. If it doesn't for you, you got a bad apple

Giant Lizard

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
Ive had the same problems. Ive been trying to find where the sound files are so i can can silence them like that. But if you search silent camera, theres a few apps that will work. I was just trying to use the original camera app that came with the phone.

that's what I'm looking for. Do you know guys, some good app which do this?

If it doesn't for you, you got a bad apple

It doesn't for me. And you said "apple" in an android forum, be careful :D :D

kingseanrocks

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
that's what I'm looking for. Do you know guys, some good app which do this?

It doesn't for me. And you said "apple" in an android forum, be careful :D :D

Apple huh anyone ever tell you there products supposedly suck and people who buy them are isheep.true story bro

Sent from my Huawei u8650 using AC Forums mobile app

tlacour

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Enforce stream silencer works for me. If you have any sort of Sound manager app or widget, it might override ESS though.

tlacour

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm on the Verizon S4. You know you have to allow apk's from alternate sources? You also have to run the app the first time. There is a single check box that adjusts the volume.
Not trying to be overly simple... Just covering all the bases I can think of.

starbuckk

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
There are several alternative camera apps on Play Store that allow turning off shutter sound and some have more advanced features than the stock app.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

angry mustache

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
If you are rooted, you can change the settings to give you the prompt on the menu. The file is root/system/csc/feature.xml. Change the "false" in the shuttersoundmenu line to "true". It will put the option on the camera settings menu.

Edited for grammar/clarity

mhinc

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
So unless you are a creeper, and taking pictures you shouldn't be of people you shouldn't be why is it so important to remove the shutter sound, it's not even that loud

tlacour

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
So unless you are a creeper, and taking pictures you shouldn't be of people you shouldn't be why is it so important to remove the shutter sound, it's not even that loud

So you're that person at the kid's concert with the obnoxious loud phone making all that noise while the kids are singing...

I bet you don't turn off your ringer in movies because probably no one will call...

kingseanrocks

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
In some places its actually against the law to turn off shutter sound if your rooted and flash cyanogenmod there's a setting to turn it off

Sent from my Huawei u8650 using AC Forums mobile app

mhinc

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
So you're that person at the kid's concert with the obnoxious loud phone making all that noise while the kids are singing...

I bet you don't turn off your ringer in movies because probably no one will call...

You have GOT to be joking right? Read what you just said and tell me you aren't kidding. You really think, even at it's LOUDEST capacity, that your shutter sound would be heard, let alone interrupt kids, or even one kid signing at a school concert? That's that best example you could come up with?
Unless you are taking pictures at a funeral OR candids that you aren't supposed to, there is no reason to turn off your shutter sound. It's just not that loud. Those that want it off simply don't want people to know you are taking their pic.

And as for turning off my phone at the movies. I download torrents. I wouldn't pay the outrageous prices in the theater, and can't stand dealing with the ignorant children.
Either way, turning off your ringer in a movie, is few and far between turning off your shutter noise. Come on give your head a shake. You are making no sense.

Last edited:

trucky

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
You have GOT to be joking right? Read what you just said and tell me you aren't kidding. You really think, even at it's LOUDEST capacity, that your shutter sound would be heard, let alone interrupt kids, or even one kid signing at a school concert? That's that best example you could come up with?
Unless you are taking pictures at a funeral OR candids that you aren't supposed to, there is no reason to turn off your shutter sound. It's just not that loud. Those that want it off simply don't want people to know you are taking their pic.

And as for turning off my phone at the movies. I download torrents. I wouldn't pay the outrageous prices in the theater, and can't stand dealing with the ignorant children.
Either way, turning off your ringer in a movie, is few and far between turning off your shutter noise. Come on give your head a shake. You are making no sense.

I'm rooted and turned off my shutter sound with the xml file fix listed above. It gives you a menu option for Shutter Sound in your camera settings. The reasons I don't want the sound shouldn't really matter to anyone else but I'll tell you anyway. I take a lot of pet photos. Up close and candid type. If you have 4 puppies sleeping and want to take a few pics the shutter sound will certainly wake at least one of them up. I don't think that should put me in the creeper class, nor do I see the need for anyone else to tell me if I need a shutter sound or not.

Now, since you mentioned it, I will say something about downloading torrents... Most are illegal and infringe on federal copyright laws. To me that's kind of creepy. We were all ignorant children at one time. Some grow up, some don't.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davisongeorge