Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 68
Like Tree14Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default How to remove the camera shutter sound?

    I just bought a Galaxy S4 and I saw it's quite impossible to disable the camera shutter sound.

    I already tried to:

    1) put mute or vibration mode

    2) search for an option in the camera setting

    3) installed Enforced Stream Silencer


    Nothing works

    the only workaround is explained here:

    This actually works for me too, but of course it's not really comfortable. There are not other methods or applications as Enforced Stream Silencer which work on my Galaxy S4 too?
  2. #2  

    Default Re: How to remove the camera shutter sound?

    I lower the volume on the side and no shutter sound.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using AC Forums mobile app
  3. #3  

    Default Re: How to remove the camera shutter sound?

    Depending on you carrier this might not be possible. On the ATT model you can easily turn the shutter sound off. Not sure about the other carriers.
    Lumia 925 w/Black, Nexus 5 (32GB), Moto X (32GB), Lumia 1020, Google Edition S4, Galaxy S4 (32GB), S4 Active, Nexus 4, Note 2, Galaxy S3, Galaxy Note (ATT), Galaxy Note Intl., Galaxy S2 Skyrocket, Nexus S, Atrix 2, Atrix, Galaxy S1 Captivate, Nexus 7 (32GB), iPad 4, Dell Venue Pro 8
    and yes...an iPhone 5 too...
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

    Default Re: How to remove the camera shutter sound?

    as I said, also with mute it doesn't work :\

    I'm looking for some application which do this, as Enforced Stream Silencer was supposed to do.
    Last edited by Giant Lizard; 07-16-2013 at 07:00 PM.
  5. #5  

    Default Re: How to remove the camera shutter sound?

    Ive had the same problems. Ive been trying to find where the sound files are so i can can silence them like that. But if you search silent camera, theres a few apps that will work. I was just trying to use the original camera app that came with the phone.
  6. #6  

    Default Re: How to remove the camera shutter sound?

    If you lower the phone volume to mute before opening the camera app, it should work. If it doesn't for you, you got a bad apple
  7. #7  

    Default Re: How to remove the camera shutter sound?

    Try installing enforced stream silencer and tick the check box when it opens:

    EDIT: Ah, sorry, didn't see you tried that.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

    Default Re: How to remove the camera shutter sound?

    Quote Originally Posted by 00Early View Post
    Ive had the same problems. Ive been trying to find where the sound files are so i can can silence them like that. But if you search silent camera, theres a few apps that will work. I was just trying to use the original camera app that came with the phone.
    that's what I'm looking for. Do you know guys, some good app which do this?

    Quote Originally Posted by tytlyf View Post
    If it doesn't for you, you got a bad apple
    It doesn't for me. And you said "apple" in an android forum, be careful
  9. #9  

    Default Re: How to remove the camera shutter sound?

    Quote Originally Posted by Giant Lizard View Post
    that's what I'm looking for. Do you know guys, some good app which do this?



    It doesn't for me. And you said "apple" in an android forum, be careful
    Apple huh anyone ever tell you there products supposedly suck and people who buy them are isheep.true story bro

    Sent from my Huawei u8650 using AC Forums mobile app
  10. #10  
    tlacour's Avatar

    Posts
    97 Posts
    Global Posts
    98 Global Posts

    Default Re: How to remove the camera shutter sound?

    Enforce stream silencer works for me. If you have any sort of Sound manager app or widget, it might override ESS though.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

    Default Re: How to remove the camera shutter sound?

    Quote Originally Posted by tlacour View Post
    Enforce stream silencer works for me. If you have any sort of Sound manager app or widget, it might override ESS though.
    I have nothing. The cell just came two days ago and I didn't install nothing yet. Why it doesn't work for me? New Galaxy version?
  12. #12  
    tlacour's Avatar

    Posts
    97 Posts
    Global Posts
    98 Global Posts

    Default Re: How to remove the camera shutter sound?

    I'm on the Verizon S4. You know you have to allow apk's from alternate sources? You also have to run the app the first time. There is a single check box that adjusts the volume.
    Not trying to be overly simple... Just covering all the bases I can think of.
  13. #13  

    Default Re: How to remove the camera shutter sound?

    There are several alternative camera apps on Play Store that allow turning off shutter sound and some have more advanced features than the stock app.

    Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2
  14. #14  

    Default Re: How to remove the camera shutter sound?

    If you are rooted, you can change the settings to give you the prompt on the menu. The file is root/system/csc/feature.xml. Change the "false" in the shuttersoundmenu line to "true". It will put the option on the camera settings menu.

    Edited for grammar/clarity
    trucky likes this.
  15. #15  
    mhinc's Avatar

    Posts
    571 Posts
    Global Posts
    823 Global Posts

    Default Re: How to remove the camera shutter sound?

    So unless you are a creeper, and taking pictures you shouldn't be of people you shouldn't be why is it so important to remove the shutter sound, it's not even that loud
    Samsung Galaxy S4 SGH-I337M - 4.2.2
    Telus Mobility
    Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada
    ---
    Topgonzo and Sizzers like this.
  16. #16  

    Default Re: How to remove the camera shutter sound?

    Quote Originally Posted by mhinc View Post
    So unless you are a creeper, and taking pictures you shouldn't be of people you shouldn't be why is it so important to remove the shutter sound, it's not even that loud
    This made me lol
  17. #17  
    tlacour's Avatar

    Posts
    97 Posts
    Global Posts
    98 Global Posts

    Default Re: How to remove the camera shutter sound?

    Quote Originally Posted by mhinc View Post
    So unless you are a creeper, and taking pictures you shouldn't be of people you shouldn't be why is it so important to remove the shutter sound, it's not even that loud
    So you're that person at the kid's concert with the obnoxious loud phone making all that noise while the kids are singing...

    I bet you don't turn off your ringer in movies because probably no one will call...
  18. #18  

    Default Re: How to remove the camera shutter sound?

    In some places its actually against the law to turn off shutter sound if your rooted and flash cyanogenmod there's a setting to turn it off

    Sent from my Huawei u8650 using AC Forums mobile app
  19. #19  
    mhinc's Avatar

    Posts
    571 Posts
    Global Posts
    823 Global Posts

    Default Re: How to remove the camera shutter sound?

    Quote Originally Posted by tlacour View Post
    So you're that person at the kid's concert with the obnoxious loud phone making all that noise while the kids are singing...

    I bet you don't turn off your ringer in movies because probably no one will call...
    You have GOT to be joking right? Read what you just said and tell me you aren't kidding. You really think, even at it's LOUDEST capacity, that your shutter sound would be heard, let alone interrupt kids, or even one kid signing at a school concert? That's that best example you could come up with?
    Unless you are taking pictures at a funeral OR candids that you aren't supposed to, there is no reason to turn off your shutter sound. It's just not that loud. Those that want it off simply don't want people to know you are taking their pic.

    And as for turning off my phone at the movies. I download torrents. I wouldn't pay the outrageous prices in the theater, and can't stand dealing with the ignorant children.
    Either way, turning off your ringer in a movie, is few and far between turning off your shutter noise. Come on give your head a shake. You are making no sense.
    Last edited by mhinc; 07-18-2013 at 06:58 AM. Reason: Corrected Spelling
    Samsung Galaxy S4 SGH-I337M - 4.2.2
    Telus Mobility
    Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada
    ---
    Topgonzo, BigBernard and troshs like this.
  20. #20  

    Default Re: How to remove the camera shutter sound?

    Quote Originally Posted by mhinc View Post
    You have GOT to be joking right? Read what you just said and tell me you aren't kidding. You really think, even at it's LOUDEST capacity, that your shutter sound would be heard, let alone interrupt kids, or even one kid signing at a school concert? That's that best example you could come up with?
    Unless you are taking pictures at a funeral OR candids that you aren't supposed to, there is no reason to turn off your shutter sound. It's just not that loud. Those that want it off simply don't want people to know you are taking their pic.

    And as for turning off my phone at the movies. I download torrents. I wouldn't pay the outrageous prices in the theater, and can't stand dealing with the ignorant children.
    Either way, turning off your ringer in a movie, is few and far between turning off your shutter noise. Come on give your head a shake. You are making no sense.
    I'm rooted and turned off my shutter sound with the xml file fix listed above. It gives you a menu option for Shutter Sound in your camera settings. The reasons I don't want the sound shouldn't really matter to anyone else but I'll tell you anyway. I take a lot of pet photos. Up close and candid type. If you have 4 puppies sleeping and want to take a few pics the shutter sound will certainly wake at least one of them up. I don't think that should put me in the creeper class, nor do I see the need for anyone else to tell me if I need a shutter sound or not.

    Now, since you mentioned it, I will say something about downloading torrents... Most are illegal and infringe on federal copyright laws. To me that's kind of creepy. We were all ignorant children at one time. Some grow up, some don't.

    Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

    Thanked by:
  21. #21  
    queenren's Avatar

    Posts
    21 Posts
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts

    Default Re: How to remove the camera shutter sound?

    OP, which carrier are you on? With most Sprint phones, you can't turn the shutter sound off because Sprint won't allow you to.

    Also, there are alternative camera apps that silence the shutter.

    I like to take pics of my toddler. The shot is ruined when he hears that dang shutter sound because he stops whatever he is doing.
  22. #22  
    robjulo's Avatar

    Posts
    106 Posts
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts

    Default Re: How to remove the camera shutter sound?

    This is one frustration with Android (coming from someone who is probably doing back to it). Something as basic as turning sound of the camera completely off involves, among others; rooting, looking for and editing xml files, side loading apks and the issue is different on different carriers. Good lord.
  23. #23  
    codeda's Avatar

    Posts
    326 Posts
    Global Posts
    331 Global Posts

    Default Re: How to remove the camera shutter sound?

    Quote Originally Posted by robjulo View Post
    This is one frustration with Android (coming from someone who is probably doing back to it). Something as basic as turning sound of the camera completely off involves, among others; rooting, looking for and editing xml files, side loading apks and the issue is different on different carriers. Good lord.
    I don't know if it is android in general. Just certain carriers/manufacturers. I have a nexus 4, stock, not rooted and no camera noise. One thing I loved coming from the galaxy s3.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app
  24. #24  

    Default Re: How to remove the camera shutter sound?

    Quote Originally Posted by robjulo View Post
    This is one frustration with Android (coming from someone who is probably doing back to it). Something as basic as turning sound of the camera completely off involves, among others; rooting, looking for and editing xml files, side loading apks and the issue is different on different carriers. Good lord.
    At least there *are* actually ways to configure things that the device manufacturer won't allow. Regarding the carrier thing, it's usually just Verizon phones that tend to be oddballs (in the US). If Apple didn't include an option to mute the shutter sound on the iPhone (do they?), I'm sure you're options for a DIY solution would be far less available.
  25. #25  

    Default Re: How to remove the camera shutter sound?

    Quote Originally Posted by paintdrinkingpete View Post
    At least there *are* actually ways to configure things that the device manufacturer won't allow. Regarding the carrier thing, it's usually just Verizon phones that tend to be oddballs (in the US). If Apple didn't include an option to mute the shutter sound on the iPhone (do they?), I'm sure you're options for a DIY solution would be far less available.
    US Cellular plays that game too. Requires root to "fix".
    Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. AT&T Next - the Death Star pulls a T-Mo!
    By RenoD2010 in forum AT&T
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: 08-26-2013, 06:33 AM
  2. Replies: 84
    Last Post: 08-10-2013, 08:40 PM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-17-2013, 01:02 PM
  4. Help me out with this sound feature?
    By paratroopa82 in forum Samsung Galaxy S4
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-16-2013, 04:29 PM
  5. speaker not working to play media, but all other sounds work
    By kazbotch in forum Verizon Galaxy S3
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-16-2013, 02:39 PM

Posting Permissions

B