Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Question I want to buy the phone, not the carrier please

Does any vendor sell an unlocked, no-carrier, un-subsidized Galaxy S4 (32GB; i9505)? I want to buy this phone without going through a carrier (which fails to offer the phone I want). Is this even possible in the USA?

Sure, I intend to use it with Tmobile (with LTE bands 1/2/4/5/7/17 which correspond to 2600, 2100, 1900, 1700, 850, and 700 MHz)... but the point is... why do I have to wait for a carrier to decide when to carry a phone? In Tmobile's case they seem to be forcing their customers into 16gb phones and refusing to offer 32gb ones.

Unfortunately, Samsung USA doesn't appear to sell phones directly to consumers. Is there some weird oligopoloy in the USA that requires customers to buy a phone through a mobile carrier?

Thanks in advance.
    r2t

Global Posts
    88 Global Posts

Default Re: I want to buy the phone, not the carrier please

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Hartzog View Post
    Does any vendor sell an unlocked, no-carrier, un-subsidized Galaxy S4 (32GB; i9505)? I want to buy this phone without going through a carrier (which fails to offer the phone I want). Is this even possible in the USA?

Sure, I intend to use it with Tmobile (with LTE bands 1/2/4/5/7/17 which correspond to 2600, 2100, 1900, 1700, 850, and 700 MHz)... but the point is... why do I have to wait for a carrier to decide when to carry a phone? In Tmobile's case they seem to be forcing their customers into 16gb phones and refusing to offer 32gb ones.

Unfortunately, Samsung USA doesn't appear to sell phones directly to consumers. Is there some weird oligopoloy in the USA that requires customers to buy a phone through a mobile carrier?

Thanks in advance.
    You can always go the Amazon route or you can check out Negri Electronics. I believe this website is where most of the phone reviewers get their phones that are not going to be released in the States. I believe their phones are all unlocked too.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Thanks. Do you (or anyone) know about the HD Voice support in the i9505? And the one you buy at Amazon or Negri... is that the "international version"? (which I'm told doesn't support any of the LTE bands)
    r2t

Global Posts
    88 Global Posts

Thanks. Do you (or anyone) know about the HD Voice support in the i9505? And the one you buy at Amazon or Negri... is that the "international version"? (which I'm told doesn't support any of the LTE bands)
    All I can tell you is i9505 is an international version of S4 that support LTE. Now, I don't know what LTE frequencies AT&T and T-Mobile uses. You will have to ask them about that. As far as which bands the i9505 can handle are: Band 1 (2,100MHz) / Band 3 (1,800MHz) / Band 5 (850MHz) / Band 7 (2,600MHz) / Band 8 (900MHz) / Band 20 (800MHz).

Those are what being specified on their product's page. As far as using the international version phones on Verizon and Sprint, you can forget about it because those uses CDMA and not GSM.

I think that there is some information here: Samsung Galaxy S4 Factory Unlocked Phone
    like r2t said, you can find them on amazon or ebay.

Thanks in advance.
    Hi, I think you can get both versions, 9500 and 9505 unlocked here.. I know they have the 16gb both versions in stock, and soon will be getting the 32 and 64gb versions.. all factory unlocked.

SAMSUNG I9500 GALAXY S4 16GB QUADBAND UNLOCKED GSM PHONE (White F

The i9505 is only an international version. Right now your carrier has to have LTE on the LTE bands that the phone currently supports. As far as I know none of the United States carriers support LTE on that phone.

I know there a couple users who have the phone on ATT on these forums. They only have 4g.

Buy the google edition S4. Although no 32GB.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Last edited by Steve Hartzog; 07-24-2013 at 04:54 PM. Reason: Remove
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Last edited by Steve Hartzog; 07-24-2013 at 04:54 PM. Reason: Remove
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Quote Originally Posted by Farish View Post
    The i9505 is only an international version. Right now your carrier has to have LTE on the LTE bands that the phone currently supports. As far as I know none of the United States carriers support LTE on that phone.

I know there a couple users who have the phone on ATT on these forums. They only have 4g.
    Yep. i9505 is the HSPA+ international version. I definitely want LTE on the Tmobile bands as stated... but a 32GB version that works is the AT&T one (which has the right LTE bands, but they don't work for some reason; and very expensive to obtain unlocked and contract free to bring over to Tmobile), but I'm told that it lacks the HD voice feature of the Tmobile version (which is unfortunately only a 16GB version). No way I would ever lock myself into a contract again with AT&T or Verizon. Fooled too many times by their overpriced, crap service.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Quote Originally Posted by planoman View Post
    Buy the google edition S4. Although no 32GB.
    The google edition, which is sans the S-Health apps (which are not in the play store), is also only 16GB. It seems there is NO way to get the phone that fits me because Tmobile has chosen not to sell the 32GB version. >:( Samsung should just sell it to consumers DIRECTLY. I hate middle men trying to make decisions for me!!!