Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Why does my GS4 screen randomly dim?

Does it sometimes whether its plugged in or not.

Default Re: Why does my GS4 screen randomly dim?

Make sure you don't have auto-brightness on.

Posted via Android Central App

Also Auto adjust screen tone in the display settings should be unticked.
    CrackBerry Convert

Global Posts
    3,241 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Goldeneye 4.0 + CWM OUDHS

Quote Originally Posted by paratroopa82 View Post
    Does it sometimes whether its plugged in or not.
    Whatever your screen timeout is set to (mine is 1 minute), your phone will dim the screen 10 seconds before that as a visual warning that the screen is about to turn off unless you interact with it (or trigger Smart Stay to keep it on).

FYI, at the same time it dims, it will check for Smart Stay (are your eyes looking at the screen?). If they are, the screen should brighten again as the screen timeout is reset. If not, the 10 second timer will count to 0 and then (unless you touch the screen) it will check one more time for your eyes with Smart Stay. If it does not find you looking again, the screen turns off.

Global Posts
    23 Global Posts

Very helpful, this has been happening to me and I hate it. I have the screen to shut off at 15 sec. So it is happening to me very often.

Posted via Android Central App

Quote Originally Posted by tielerjon View Post
    I have the screen to shut off at 15 sec. So it is happening to me very often.
    That's really short. Can you even read one page of print in that time? I use 1 minute--that gives me time to read just about anything.

First, sorry for my English.
    I found solution for my S4 display not to dim anymore.
    I rooted my device and installed ROM Toolbox PRO where I created an CPU profile which reduces max. CPU frequency depending of battery temperature. So, when battery reaches 30 grade Celsius the CPU profile presetted reduces max. CPU frequency at only 800 MHz.
    No dim anymore.
    If I set this profile to activate at 40 grade Celsius then screen is still dimming.
    I think all dimming problems are providing from Samsung automatic battery overheating protection feature built in our Samsung Galaxy S4 devices.
    Hope I contribute to people who suffer for this annoying issues.
    HPferoxCraft likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by pumiklos View Post
    ... So, when battery reaches 30 grade Celsius the CPU profile presetted reduces max. CPU frequency at only 800 MHz.
    I have to make corrections here. It's not sufficient to reduce CPU frequency to above specified 800 Mhz, but we have to set it's upper limit to only 400 MHz for avoiding dimming issues.
    Also I tested that it's OK if you set critical temperature 32 grade Celsius instead of 30.
    Additionally you can set another CPU profile where you set that when battery temperature lowers than 32 grade Celsius then CPU return working at original frequency settings.
    Be careful to set first CPU profile at highest priority than the second. This can be adjusted in every CPU profile you made before.

There are multiple reasons why the S4 can suddenly dim the display, one of them is due to overheating, when the phone senses that it's getting hot it dims the display, not many know this.

Quote Originally Posted by fantom305 View Post
    Also Auto adjust screen tone in the display settings should be unticked.
    OMG THANK YOU. I had a little crack above ear speaker and thought it was breaking.

Or, OR, maybe because power savings mode is on?! That screws with apparent brightness too.

For me it was my otter box retaining the heat thus overheating the phone. Removed the case and it stopped. Have to come up with a better solution than not having the case on it though.

Posted via the Android Central App