1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Series data issue please help!

5 or 6 weeks ago I upgraded from iphone 4 to Samsung Galaxy s4. Within 2 weeks I was 1gig over my 2.5gig data limit. I waited 1 and a half weeks for it to reset and after 5 days im already at 1gig. My job is to drive from job site to job site and whilst my coworker does his part of the job I sit in the car using my phone. Today I left a site with 409mb used by android os and got to the next with 579mb(roughly from memory) I have turned off auto sync, I dont have email account attatched, Facebook etc has been put on wifi obly background use etc. What is causing my problem. 1g in 5 days is bad and without data for Facebook or instagram my job is virtually unbareable. I cant go over again it cost me a fortune please help!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Series data issue please help!-screenshot_2013-07-17-13-23-34.jpg  

Global Posts
    832 Global Posts

Default Re: Series data issue please help!

Quote Originally Posted by MattyDillon77 View Post
    5 or 6 weeks ago I upgraded from iphone 4 to Samsung Galaxy s4. Within 2 weeks I was 1gig over my 2.5gig data limit. I waited 1 and a half weeks for it to reset and after 5 days im already at 1gig. My job is to drive from job site to job site and whilst my coworker does his part of the job I sit in the car using my phone. Today I left a site with 409mb used by android os and got to the next with 579mb(roughly from memory) I have turned off auto sync, I dont have email account attatched, Facebook etc has been put on wifi obly background use etc. What is causing my problem. 1g in 5 days is bad and without data for Facebook or instagram my job is virtually unbareable. I cant go over again it cost me a fortune please help!!!
    My guess based on your screen shot is the Android OS 579mb is from doing a Major Update when you first turned on the phone. And it appears you did so over your Data and not Wifi.
    The second part is Instagram, when you installed it you didn't read and it uploaded a **** load of photos to it's servers because you didn't uncheck the option to do so after install.
    My guess that **** load of photos was on a Micro SD card you put in the phone when you got it that was filled with photos from another device.

If the above is the case, then you shouldn't have to worry about any more surges in your data, make sure under ABOUT DEVICE and then SOFTWARE UPDATES you choose them to happen over WIFI ONLY going forward. And as for the Instgram issue. Same thing happens with programs like DropBox, it will upload your ENTIRE Micro SD card full of pics unless you tell it not to.

Does the above make sense as to the cause of your issue?
    Samsung Galaxy S4 SGH-I337M - 4.2.2
    Telus Mobility
    Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada
    ---

Go to your data usage then click on, let's say, Android OS or Instagram, then scroll down and check if it's the background data or the foreground data. If it's the background data you can either disable background data as a whole for your phone or selective disable data for each app that's running. If you disable background data as a whole for your phone, you won't be able to auto-retrieve MMS and Google Play will bug your for not having background data on.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

It is 100% background data. How do I turn background data usage off for android os? There isn't a box to check under the background/foreground pie chart on usual apps.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

No I don't have a micro sd card at all. My problem isn't instagram of Facebook because I use these ALOT so the large data use for them is understandable. It's just the massive amounts of background data use by android os. It can't be an update because it jumps sometimes 100mb in one day. Everyday apart from weekends because im on wifi alot.

Quote Originally Posted by MattyDillon77 View Post
    No I don't have a micro sd card at all. My problem isn't instagram of Facebook because I use these ALOT so the large data use for them is understandable. It's just the massive amounts of background data use by android os. It can't be an update because it jumps sometimes 100mb in one day. Everyday apart from weekends because im on wifi alot.
    Could it be YouTube? I see that YouTube is further down on the list, and I've read before that the app itself only logs data for the browsing/searching features, but the actual video downloads are registered as "Android OS"....and high def videos can be VERY large. If you watch even a few high def YouTube vids a day, that would definitely account for this.

EDIT: If you suspect it may be this, you can check the settings in the YouTube app and make sure high def is off by default and disable pre-loading as well.

EDIT2: Even if not in high def, lower def vids will eat data as well, though not as fast.

I checked my usage and my "Android OS" is eating tons of data too. I'm on wifi 98% of time since I'm a SAHM so it only used 100 Meg's of mobile data but I checked my wifi data and it used 1.49 gigs in the last month so if I wasn't on wifi I would of went over my data too! I wonder wtf this is?

Quote Originally Posted by paintdrinkingpete View Post
    Could it be YouTube? I see that YouTube is further down on the list, and I've read before that the app itself only logs data for the browsing/searching features, but the actual video downloads are registered as "Android OS"....and high def videos can be VERY large. If you watch even a few high def YouTube vids a day, that would definitely account for this.

EDIT: If you suspect it may be this, you can check the settings in the YouTube app and make sure high def is off by default and disable pre-loading as well.

EDIT2: Even if not in high def, lower def vids will eat data as well, though not as fast.
    Ahh this would make sense for me! I watch a decent amount of you tube and mine only shows 40 Meg's of data used for that.