Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Stock email app

Does stock email app push emails like mail droid?
    I don't want to use a third party email app. Just wondering if it pushes emails frequently like mail droid

Posted via Android Central App

Default Re: Stock email app

Quote Originally Posted by lawrenceu88 View Post
    Does stock email app push emails like mail droid?
    I don't want to use a third party email app. Just wondering if it pushes emails frequently like mail droid

You have to provide a bit more info...what kind of mail account is it? What type of access do you have to retrieve your mail?
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by paintdrinkingpete View Post
    You have to provide a bit more info...what kind of mail account is it? What type of access do you have to retrieve your mail?
    Using my work outlook account, yahoo, and gmail. I want to be able to get my emails instantly on my phone without having to refresh my email.
    I also do not want to install a third party email app.
    Hope this helps

I am using the stock email app with gmail and have notifications selected. I get email notifications without checking myself. Tap the notification and it takes you to the email.

Global Posts
    168 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lawrenceu88 View Post
    Using my work outlook account, yahoo, and gmail. I want to be able to get my emails instantly on my phone without having to refresh my email.
    I also do not want to install a third party email app.
    Hope this helps

I would assume if you use Outlook at work then you all have an exchange server so yes push email would work. Gmail pushes by default as well. I'm not sure about yahoo.

Sent from my SCH-I545

Make sure you have the sync enabled
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Quote Originally Posted by fishepa View Post
    I would assume if you use Outlook at work then you all have an exchange server so yes push email would work. Gmail pushes by default as well. I'm not sure about yahoo.

Sent from my SCH-I545
    So gmail pushes by default? How come I don't get the option of "push" on set sync schedule. On 15 min and so on

As far as I know stock email doesn't have push function for any email provider including gmail.
    For that you have to use 3rd party app emails
    To get push for gmail you have to use gmail app . for yahoo use yahoo app and for outlook use outlook app . or get a 3rd party app such as droid mail for all

Sent from my One using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Global Posts
    593 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hakimmmmm View Post
    As far as I know stock email doesn't have push function for any email provider including gmail.
    For that you have to use 3rd party app emails
    To get push for gmail you have to use gmail app . for yahoo use yahoo app and for outlook use outlook app . or get a 3rd party app such as droid mail for all

The Stock Email app can push on Exchange Email Accounts, so for Hotmail (or Outlook) you use the Exchange Server, in this case just add the email account with the default settings it brings, just change the Server to bay-m.hotmail.com .

I disabled the stock email app after the update recently because of a battery concern with the Gmail account. Before the update I was able to have both Gmail and Yahoo in the Email app. After the update I did a factory reset and when I went back to the Email app it said I had to use the Gmail app. Anyone else get that notification when setting up their Gmail account in the stock email app?

The stock email app definitely supports push from an Exchange server. However it only seems to push when new emails arrive. It does not automatically update the status of emails after they have been pushed. For example, if a new email arrives, it is pushed to the phone, and the phone generates notifications (i.e. notification bar, badge on email app, and blinking message light). If you read and delete that email from your computer, the phone does not seem to be notified of that. The notifications persist on the phone until you explicitly clear them or check email on the phone. I could be wrong, but I don't remember my old iPhone doing that. Of course it didn't have a message light, so maybe I just didn't notice.

Quote Originally Posted by tytlyf View Post
    I disabled the stock email app after the update recently because of a battery concern with the Gmail account. Before the update I was able to have both Gmail and Yahoo in the Email app. After the update I did a factory reset and when I went back to the Email app it said I had to use the Gmail app. Anyone else get that notification when setting up their Gmail account in the stock email app?
    For what it's worth, you get a lot more functionality, usability, instant notifications and full synchronization by using the Gmail and Yahoo apps for email, in my opinion. Sorry I don't know the answer to your question because I also think the general email app sucks and haven't tried to use it in quite a while.

Quote Originally Posted by erasat View Post
    The Stock Email app can push on Exchange Email Accounts, so for Hotmail (or Outlook) you use the Exchange Server, in this case just add the email account with the default settings it brings, just change the Server to bay-m.hotmail.com .
    Free outlook or hotmail supports it or only paid one?

Global Posts
    593 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hakimmmmm View Post
    Free outlook or hotmail supports it or only paid one?

My hotmail account is free.

Quote Originally Posted by paintdrinkingpete View Post
    For what it's worth, you get a lot more functionality, usability, instant notifications and full synchronization by using the Gmail and Yahoo apps for email,.
    My only gripe with that is that there is no indicator on the icon of a new message #. Same with the Yahoo app. And the fact you have to have 2 icons and neither shows anything. That was the only good thing about the stock Email app I liked. But after the update, Gmail has made the stock Email app freak out and keep my phone awake 24/7