Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Prosty
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Galaxy S4 camera failed! Please help!

So I went to use my camera today and a black screen popped up and then seconds after a warning box appeared and said camera failed! I did a soft boot and factory reset and nothing will fix it! I'm over my 15 day trial period so I can't take it back. Anyone else experience this or have possible fixes?!?!
    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using AC Forums mobile app
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Galaxy S4 camera failed! Please help!-1374119993678.jpg  
    Last edited by NotJustAPhone; 01-15-2014 at 09:18 PM.

Global Posts
    350 Global Posts

Default Re: Galaxy s4 camera failed! Please help!

I did a search and found quite a few people dealing with this. (I don't know if I'm allowed to post links to other forums, so I won't).

Some are sure the issue is something called the Camera Module, and are buying replacements for about $20 on ebay. Others have said they power their phone down and leaving it off for 15 minutes, restarting, and are having success with the camera working again. Others are saying they are rebooting 5x and having success that way.

Do a web search "galaxy s4 camera failed" and you'll see the conversations I'm speaking of. Good luck.

Global Posts
    152 Global Posts

I just got my SGS4 yesterday and everything was working fine. Today I'm having the same problem as you. I'm going to exchange mine tomorrow if this keeps up.

Global Posts
    87 Global Posts

That's crazy.... Good luck with getting it fixed

Posted via Android Central App

Happened to me, but I just restart the phone and it fixed

Sent from my Verizon Galaxy SIV using Tapatalk 4
    Thanked by:
    Faris Reza likes this.

Exchanging the camera Module worked for you? Im facing the same issue, tried every single possible way to solve it. My cellphone is rooted tho. I did a kernel root via Odin

Camera module? Did anyone use this solution? Please, feedback!

Thanks.

Thanx buddy I got the same problem , I restarted my phone and its works. .

Restart your samsung galaxy4............... it works..

When I want to use my camera it switches to the camera app, but then a black screen shows & my phone reboots altogether.
    I've tried the software update, no solution. I've reset to factory settings...to no avail.
    It's the most annoying thing EVER. Only on my second attempt of using the camera (after my phone has rebooted) does the camera actually work.

I've asked Samsung SA on twitter, & I haven't received any feedback.

Hi!! I have the exact same problem, have you managed to fix it?

This is mostly due to a connector getting loose if your handset was dropped etc.Try opening the back case and gently press the area in and around the camera.

I got it fixed by following these steps:

1. Connect your device to your laptop using data cable
    2. Go to folder: Computer\SAMSUNG-SGH-I747\Phone\Applidium Image Cache
    3. Delete everything in this folder
    4. Go to folder: Computer\SAMSUNG-SGH-I747\Phone\Android\data\com.sec.android.gallery3d\cache
    5. Delete everything in this folder
    6. Restart your phone
    7. Camera works

I found the second file, but I don't have the first. deleted the second one and camera still doesn't work after restart.

Thanks theKC after trying several things, to fix my camera issue like clearing cache, removing apps, clearing data. As a last result I did NOT want to do a full restore or a full repair with Samsung app. I restarted 5X as you suggested and that fixed my camera. My phone is less than a year old, although refurb, the camera issue didn't start until JB 4.3 Verizon update then the issue just randomly appeared. Your suggestion resolved my issue. 5X in a row restart without touching or any apps or anything just 5X restarts in a row and it worked!

Default Re: Galaxy S4 camera failed! Please help!

Hi I had the same issue and I kept restarting and it didn't work. But what fixed it for me was an app called clean master I just pressed the broom button on the widget( to close all apps and restart them) and my camera worked and evern since then till now thats what I do and i dont have any problems. Try it I am very confident it would work

I'm having similar troubles, with some exceptions. The camera doesn't work as an independent app, but when I'm in FB I can use it to add a photo to my timeline, but it won't work in a PM. I can use it on another app called VarageSale to take photos, but in text messages it doesn't work.
    I have restarted, soft reset, cleared camera cache and date, removed the SD card. Occasionally one of these will work, but then I attempt to turn 'selfie' or frame in frame on, and 'camera fail' again. SO FRUSTRATING

Galaxy S4 camera failed! Please help!-screenshot_0405164146.png
    Galaxy S4 camera failed! Please help!-screenshot_0405164236.pngI have tried everything minus replaceing the camera module. I dont really feel like doing that yet unless there is some solution out there. This is cra* this is a brand new phone. Only had for 2 weeks and the camera went out last week. Help!

Had similar problem on my S3. What helped to get my camera back was enabling stock paper artist app, which I disabled in settings earlier due to its unimportance to me. Check if some apps you disabled if any, that camera may rely on.

If you can't fix "Camera failed" by Hard / Factory reset, upgrade or change firmware, you must to replace rear facing camera module. This part you can find easy on eBay.

Video tutorial:
    --------------------------------------

--------------------------------------