Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    31 Global Posts

Default Battery draining issue after 4.2.2 update

hello all,
    does anybody else experienced this? prior to the recent update, my battery life was excellent. i started noticing my battery life was draining faster after updating 4.2.2. is there a reason/reasons why it's doing this? how can i get my battery life back to how it was? this is really getting frustrating. thanks in advance.

Default Re: Battery draining issue after 4.2.2 update

Quote Originally Posted by Spunjer View Post
    hello all,
    does anybody else experienced this? prior to the recent update, my battery life was excellent. i started noticing my battery life was draining faster after updating 4.2.2. is there a reason/reasons why it's doing this? how can i get my battery life back to how it was? this is really getting frustrating. thanks in advance.
    No details??? What have you done to try to trouble shoot the issue?

Settings > More tab > Battery.... what is draining your battery... what is high on the list beside "Screen"?
    Current: HTC One (M8), Pebble, Chromecast
    Retired Device (in order): Samsung Galaxy S4, Droid Razr Maxx, HTC Thunderbolt, HTC myTouch 4G, Blackberry's Bold, 8900 (Curve)
    Flames Wallpaper
    Jerry: "Love, Peace, and Chicken Grease!!!"

Global Posts
    138 Global Posts

My Google services use a lot of battery. Whats included in that and whatshould I do to use less of it?

Posted via Android Central App

Global Posts
    129 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by thegronz View Post
    My Google services use a lot of battery. Whats included in that and whatshould I do to use less of it?

Its most likely your gps location services. But if you haven't done a factory reset after the update, I'd recommend doing that. Give your phone about a day after doing so to sync up the data from your accounts, then look at your battery life. It should be better.

5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Global Posts
    31 Global Posts

thanks for the response, fatboy 97. as far as troubleshooting, i haven't really done anything, except for placing a check mark on the auto-brightness. that, and restart my phone. reason being, i haven't done anything different since i updated the phone. i did took a screenshot

thanks for the response, fatboy 97. as far as troubleshooting, i haven't really done anything, except for placing a check mark on the auto-brightness. that, and restart my phone. reason being, i haven't done anything different since i updated the phone. i did took a screenshot
    .http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v484/Spunjer/005.png
    Hard to judge that picture... You just got off the charger :P.

Sent from my Sprint HTC One using AC forums.

Global Posts
    448 Global Posts

My battery life is excepcional, so I've tried everything to see what happens, and just to give you a summary, as soon as I use the Auto Brightness option the battery becomes more like my old S2 battery. It won't last a normal usage day, and with heavy use I need to re-charge it before I left the office to get home.

With the Auto Brightness Off and just minimal Brightness (Good enough for me been all day at my office, car and home) right now I unplug my phone at 6:00AM and don't reconnect it until bed time, around 11:00PM, most of the time I'm still at 40% by that time, and when I fully use my phone, I still have some charge left, around 10-15% with over 4.5 hours of screen use, and when I let it almost discharge completely, I get a little over 5 hours of screen time. I use it all day to get dozens of emails, I use it to read my magazines with Google Currents and Flipboard, I use Google Maps once a Day with GPS going from Office to Home, and obviously to make a couple of phones and SMS and WhatsApp a day, BUT, when I'm not using maps then I turn off GPS, and the same with Wifi and Bluetooth (Thanks God for the Quick Settings options), plus my Google Maps/Now locations are always off.

Try downloading Wakelock Detector and give it a couple hours on battery before checking it. You can't determine the usage in the first minute off charge. Give it a couple hours.
    The wakelock detector will show you if your phone is awake or sleeping and will show you what is causing it.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...detector&hl=en

Screen shot is good, but you really need to run it on battery a LOT longer for it to show up something we might be able to read... say something below 30% or after 16 hrs or so, OR some time just before you plug it in.
    Retired Device (in order): Samsung Galaxy S4, Droid Razr Maxx, HTC Thunderbolt, HTC myTouch 4G, Blackberry's Bold, 8900 (Curve)
    Flames Wallpaper

Quote Originally Posted by tytlyf View Post
    Try downloading Wakelock Detector and give it a couple hours on battery before checking it. You can't determine the usage in the first minute off charge. Give it a couple hours.
    The wakelock detector will show you if your phone is awake or sleeping and will show you what is causing it.

GSam Battery Monitor is good to have too. They give different information and sometimes you need both to really figure out what's going on.

To give an example of what GSam does, my phone currently reports that "Google Services" has used 23% of my battery so far today. There are no actual apps listed. Not horribly useful. GSam tells me that Minimalistic Text has used 28% and Tasker has used 13%. If I were upset that either of those had used that much (I'm not, those are pretty much the only two apps I've used all day) then I'd know where to look. The one time I did have a problem a single app had used 90% of my battery for the day. It was real easy to tell what the problem was then.

IWakelock Detector tells me that Google Search (probably Google Now), Facebook and Tasker are the three big culprits when it comes to wake locks. Those all seem normal to me, too. If some app you don't use or care about is keeping your processor awake then you can find it there.

Global Posts
    138 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tvouge View Post
    Its most likely your gps location services. But if you haven't done a factory reset after the update, I'd recommend doing that. Give your phone about a day after doing so to sync up the data from your accounts, then look at your battery life. It should be better.

Thanks for the info!

Global Posts
    138 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tytlyf View Post

Thanks for the link. I downloaded it. How do you read it? Thanks again!

Let your phone run on battery a couple hours after installing it and then open it up. Go to the top settings and select "Cpu Wakelock" and take a screenshot of the list.
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Global Posts
    31 Global Posts

thanks for everyone's feedback so far! i will try to run the battery down, Fatboy97. thanks for those cool apps, tytlyf and garublador!

I have the same problem. Those that have answered, your help is much appreciated, but I have to say you are off target. Here are the symptoms. There was never a battery problem before installing Jelly Bean. Never. After installing Jelly Bean, the battery is drained in about a 1/10 of the time. The battery would remain charged for about 20 hours, it is now dead in two hours. Since the only change was the OS, I do not see the reason to look at other apps. It should be somewhere in Jelly Bean? The hardware remained the same. So, what is draining the battery would not be a screen or app, or anything that was the same before. Also, I originally thought it was just coincidence and my battery was old. But after seeing lots of people complain about this, I realized it was the Jelly Bean update. In addition, the wifi optimizer was added which drains the battery. But, I turned it off. So that is not a solution.

So, in summation, there are lots of people complaining about the battery drain after uploading Jelly Bean. The only common denominator is the OS. Any suggestions on a solution would be greatly helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by lawjake View Post
    I have the same problem. Those that have answered, your help is much appreciated, but I have to say you are off target. Here are the symptoms. There was never a battery problem before installing Jelly Bean. Never. After installing Jelly Bean, the battery is drained in about a 1/10 of the time. The battery would remain charged for about 20 hours, it is now dead in two hours. Since the only change was the OS, I do not see the reason to look at other apps. It should be somewhere in Jelly Bean? The hardware remained the same. So, what is draining the battery would not be a screen or app, or anything that was the same before. Also, I originally thought it was just coincidence and my battery was old. But after seeing lots of people complain about this, I realized it was the Jelly Bean update. In addition, the wifi optimizer was added which drains the battery. But, I turned it off. So that is not a solution.

So, in summation, there are lots of people complaining about the battery drain after uploading Jelly Bean. The only common denominator is the OS. Any suggestions on a solution would be greatly helpful.
    You're making a lot of assumptions here. Instead of assuming that the OS update must be the cause of the battery drain, why not check what's actually using your battery and go from there? Otherwise, you'll be in God disappeared in a puff of logic land.

I have the same problem, and it was OK before 4.2.2
    Please stop wasting peoples time and if you do not have an answer, that do not reply.

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Popov View Post
    I have the same problem, and it was OK before 4.2.2
    Please stop wasting peoples time and if you do not have an answer, that do not reply.
    Many of us have made some very helpful suggestions... including trying to get some more information on what issues the OP (Original Poster) issues are, but without getting more information other than "I have the same problem" it's a little hard to help.

So, I would suggest you give us a little more than "I have the same problem" and actually read some of our posts.
    Flames Wallpaper

My did the same thing. No problems till upgrade. I turned power saver on in settings and it helped.

Hi,
    I have similar expirience with HTX one X after upgrade to 4.2.2..Baterry life is worse than before cause screen is always on.
    I can't set it to switch off after ending of conversation or any activity..
    Somebody has some smart advice about this ?
    hello all,

Default Re: Battery draining issue after 4.1.2 update

my screen uses 93 per battery . after updating my battery is discharging without use it why ? what should i do now ??

The is issue not with the batter or any App. It is with the OS update.
    I have two phones and they both have the same issue since the update and my 15yr old
    son has the same issue too. So the two phones in position with the same batter
    problem all after the upgrade of the OS.

It is either an issue with the OS on the older devices or a setting the the OS turned on or off
    and I would hope the Android will help resolve because things were great before the upgrade.

Also, I noticed that my batter windows shows Android System using 31% and Screen 25% and OS 15%

I have the same issue, battery life was perfect, but immediately after updating, my battery quickly drains out...