1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    ROM
    Droid Inc JB 4.1.1

Default Those with 16gb model, did app2sd update fix the shortage of space?

I've been thinking of getting the 32gb S4 to avoid having storage issues. If the app2sd update truly solves it then I'll save the money. Sometimes not all apps work as well after moving, any issues there? Also, if you move Google music to SD does cached music store on the SD then? Thanks.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    "I thought I wanted a career. Turns out I just wanted paychecks."
    Copy Referral Link. - Start with 15GB of space. You and I get 5GB extra! No limits!
    Dropbox Referral Link. - We both get 500MB extra.

Default Re: Those with 16gb model, did app2sd update fix the shortage of space?

I'd go with the 32, it's not moving much info to the card. My 850MB game moved 36MB to card. May be some apps move more than others but that seemed to be a normal percentage for all my apps that had movable info.

Global Posts
    86 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jimbl View Post
    I've been thinking of getting the 32gb S4 to avoid having storage issues. If the app2sd update truly solves it then I'll save the money. Sometimes not all apps work as well after moving, any issues there? Also, if you move Google music to SD does cached music store on the SD then? Thanks.

Well, it depends on you if the 16 gb will work for you or not. Not all apps let you move to the sd card. The ones that I use that let me are working fine. As for google play music, I don't believe it lets you move music to the sd card, and I don't know if you can play music from the sd in the play music app. Personally, I stream most of my music, have a handfull of games (most of them on my sd card), and store my pictures and movies on my sd card as well. I've still got about 8 gb free on my device. So the 16 gb is perfect for me.

Posted via Android Central App

Global Posts
    444 Global Posts
    ROM
    Vicious ROM

Quote Originally Posted by tvouge View Post
    Well, it depends on you if the 16 gb will work for you or not. Not all apps let you move to the sd card. The ones that I use that let me are working fine. As for google play music, I don't believe it lets you move music to the sd card, and I don't know if you can play music from the sd in the play music app. Personally, I stream most of my music, have a handfull of games (most of them on my sd card), and store my pictures and movies on my sd card as well. I've still got about 8 gb free on my device. So the 16 gb is perfect for me.

Yes you can play music from the SD Card using any app. This includes the Google Play Music and stock Samsung music player app. I have a 16GB card full of music.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    4,325 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I think for the fifty buck difference in price, you can't go wrong. The Apps2SD thing doesn't move the entire application. You'll make that fifty bucks back when it's time for the next device.

"In God we trust....all others we investigate".

"Get yourself a Glock and lose that nickel plated sissy pistol".
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    ROM
    Droid Inc JB 4.1.1

Thanks everyone. My plan was to buy one on ebay, and the 16gb is far more available. Think I'll be patient and wait for the 32gb.

Copy Referral Link. - Start with 15GB of space. You and I get 5GB extra! No limits!

Well my S4 moved 1.31 gb of Real Racing 3 and 1.97 gb of Most Wanted to my sd card, so it made a big difference for me.

If the 32 had been available id have gone with it. The price isn't much different. But I probably wouldn't have needed it. Notva gamer here. Got music and photos on the card.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    ROM
    Droid Inc JB 4.1.1

Well at first I thought I may subsidize it and lose my unlimited data. Now I'm thinking I may buy it off contract and keep unlimited. Since stored / cached music will be my biggest hog of space, I'd have to get the 32gb if I lost unlimited. If I keep unlimited I can probably get away with the 16GB. Problem is, when I first started watching ebay 2 weeks ago, two deals came up for 5 brand new 32GB S4's under $565. Haven't seen another Verizon 32gb since (at least not new, usually broke, bad ESN or water damage), and most 16gb versions catch at least $565. I'm going to try to be patient a bit longer and see if I can catch a deal like that again, but eventually I may have to pull the trigger on a 16gb.

When you say stored and cached music, if you are talking downloaded purchased mp3s, that stuff goes on the external card, along with videos and pictures. The music player can play it from there so it won't suck up your internal memory. There are some "services" that still have drm garbage in their downloads and their stuff might be stuck in memory. But I cant imagine why anyone would use them.

Global Posts
    4,325 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by jimbl View Post
    Well at first I thought I may subsidize it and lose my unlimited data. Now I'm thinking I may buy it off contract and keep unlimited. Since stored / cached music will be my biggest hog of space, I'd have to get the 32gb if I lost unlimited. If I keep unlimited I can probably get away with the 16GB. Problem is, when I first started watching ebay 2 weeks ago, two deals came up for 5 brand new 32GB S4's under $565. Haven't seen another Verizon 32gb since (at least not new, usually broke, bad ESN or water damage), and most 16gb versions catch at least $565. I'm going to try to be patient a bit longer and see if I can catch a deal like that again, but eventually I may have to pull the trigger on a 16gb.
    Why not get one through Verizon on their payment plan? You pay full price but it's spread out and you won't loose unlimited.

"In God we trust....all others we investigate".

"Get yourself a Glock and lose that nickel plated sissy pistol".
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    ROM
    Droid Inc JB 4.1.1

Quote Originally Posted by starbuckk View Post
    When you say stored and cached music, if you are talking downloaded purchased mp3s, that stuff goes on the external card, along with videos and pictures. The music player can play it from there so it won't suck up your internal memory. There are some "services" that still have drm garbage in their downloads and their stuff might be stuck in memory. But I cant imagine why anyone would use them.

Perfect example would be Google Play Music. If you Pin music (it caches it locally to save data usage), it saves to the internal phone storage. I've looked everywhere in the settings and I don't think it is possible to change where it is stored. Shame on Google. Based on my Bionic experience (full but want to cache more), which I think had more stock storage than the S4, more internal would be nice. Spotify used to be like this, but I think they've updated it so that it "picks for you" during install where the best place is to store music. Which usually is the SD Card. If it doesn't pick that location, you are SOL because there is no setting to change it.

Quote Originally Posted by ibcop View Post
    Why not get one through Verizon on their payment plan? You pay full price but it's spread out and you won't loose unlimited.

I guess it's the principle of the whole thing. Kills me to pay $699 + $24 ($2 a month for 12 months) when I could probably pay less than $600 straight up. If I had a phone I could get $300-$400+ for, I'd be more willing. My Bionic is in great shape and I'd be lucky to get $60-$70.

I've commented on several threads and will again that getting application developers to support selecting data storage location needs to reach viral campaign level. Anyone that uses apps that need data storage and do not offer the choice should do two things:

1. Email the creators and ask for it to be added.
    2.write a fair evaluation on Google play and include the need for this. Give one less star than you otherwise would and state that reason (with an otherwise positive view). But only do this if you would give it a four or five with the feature. If you hate it anyway the creator will tune you out.

Squeaky wheel rule applies. Too many apps don't offer this simply because developers don't know it is needed.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk HD
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    ROM
    Droid Inc JB 4.1.1

Quote Originally Posted by ibcop View Post

Plus I just realize last night that I have a 10% off (up to $100) any one item in my eBay for Android app. That's some solid savings off a $500-$600 phone.
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    ROM
    Droid Inc JB 4.1.1

Quote Originally Posted by rkeenan View Post
    Yes you can play music from the SD Card using any app. This includes the Google Play Music and stock Samsung music player app. I have a 16GB card full of music.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk 2
    I'm referring to pinning (storing music from google play music locally) music. Basically I have 2 questions. Can you even move the google play music app to the SD card, and if so does it then store that pinned music to the SD card (effectively removing it from the local phone storage)? Thanks.
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    ROM
    Droid Inc JB 4.1.1

Well I pulled the trigger on a 16GB S4. It was a deal I couldn't pass up. Came with original box and original accessories. Plus, 1 extra OEM battery, ExoGear Battery Case ($80 retail), Otterbox Defender case (about $50 retail), 32GB SD card, 2 screen protectors. All for $503.68 after 3Bay coupon. Now, I hope it works. LOL. I figure if the 16GB causes me trouble, I could probably make my money back or close to it. Thanks all for your input.

The nice thing about the 32 is apps can stay in the device storage and media on the sd card. No subjectivity with storage.
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    ROM
    Droid Inc JB 4.1.1

Quote Originally Posted by rushmore View Post
    The nice thing about the 32 is apps can stay in the device storage and media on the sd card. No subjectivity with storage.
    True. I haven't seen one listed on eBay in over a week though, and there aren't any off-contract "deals" as of yet. Since I'm keeping unlimited, I'm hoping the 16GB is enough. If not, I can sell it.