Otterbox Commuter Customer Reviews on Otterbox Site

PeteS457

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
I've just purchased a Galaxy S4 Google Edition after carelessly losing my S3. (I'll never do that again.) I want to protect my investment as I'm not getting insurance this time. (It certainly didn't help me with loss last time.) I'm actually very careful with my devices, it's not endangered by my lifestyle, and (hopefully) I don't expect to drop it much. However, just to be safe, I need something to protect the wear and tear of the phone or the occasional drop. Otterbox is one of the best names, but when I go to their web site to read about the Commuter series, the reviews are all within the past two months and are pretty awful. And this is on the Otterbox web site!

Samsung Galaxy S4 cover | Commuter Series by OtterBox

It's just a bit disturbing that poor reviews would be so prevalent on the vendor web site. Anyone else concerned about this? Other suggestions to consider in the $30 range? Thanks.

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
I've just purchased a Galaxy S4 Google Edition after carelessly losing my S3. (I'll never do that again.) I want to protect my investment as I'm not getting insurance this time. (It certainly didn't help me with loss last time.) I'm actually very careful with my devices, it's not endangered by my lifestyle, and (hopefully) I don't expect to drop it much. However, just to be safe, I need something to protect the wear and tear of the phone or the occasional drop. Otterbox is one of the best names, but when I go to their web site to read about the Commuter series, the reviews are all within the past two months and are pretty awful. And this is on the Otterbox web site!

It's just a bit disturbing that poor reviews would be so prevalent on the vendor web site. Anyone else concerned about this? Other suggestions to consider in the $30 range? Thanks.

Last year when we bought the our iPhone(S) 5, we bought our otterbox defender as usual. The rubber silicone was lose and did not form well. Otterbox sent us a new silicone which was much better. Sometimes I think when they do their first run of case products, they rush to get them out quickly.

Here is the good thing about Otterbox. They have a great warranty as long as you buy from an authorize dealer.

Now if you look at their defender reviews it is all 100 percent positive. So maybe that they drop the ball on the commuter for the S4.

tvouge

Feb 9, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't worry too much, I've always had an otterbox for my phones, and the one time I had an issue, otterbox replaced the case free of charge. I currently have been using the defender case for the last month, and considering the type of abuse I put myself and my phone through, it's holding up fantastically.

Posted via Android Central App

jwn66

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Commuter here, it's fine. People just like to hate on anything and everything.

Posted via Android Central App

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
The silicone outer layer is more responsive on the Defender.

Posted via My Samsung Galaxy S4 Handheld Device

zrob7

Jul 13, 2013
Visit site
Have the case and it is perfect for people who use their phone on a regular basis during the day. It provides protection and Otterbox stands behind their products.

Tahoe916

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
I'm using the Otterbox Commuter and really like it. Others I looked at either offered not enough protection or were bulkier than I want. I like the extra protection of the covers over the headphone jack and USB connector. I never used screen covers on my past phones but this time I used the one that came with it and like it enough to keep it on. I didn't have problems with dust while putting it on but I took a lot of precautions.

I can see how some might not like that "sharpish" edge near the earpiece, although it's what helps protect the phone. I'm not on the phone all that much so that had not even occurred to me until I read some of the reviews. One didn't think it has enough grip, personally it's exactly the way I like it. Too much grip and it won't go in and out of my pocket very well.

I haven't dropped it so I can't report on that! I can't see how the screen could crack without a direct hit on it, which no case is going to help with.

Sacha7905

Jul 12, 2013
Visit site
I wanted protection without adding a crazy amount of bulk like with the defender. I went with the commuter and spigen glas.t screen protector. I feel like my phone can handle anything I throw at it (within reason). I bought my case at bestbuy and they let me try it on before committing to purchase it. One thing that i dont like is that the hard plastic back isn't as grippy as I would like.

Speedy3

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
The Defender is not that much bulkier than the Commuter (to me). I compared them both before opting for the Defender. I liked the grip better as well as the snap on inner plastic shell . The clip also adds another level of protection. I custom ordered the desired color combinations for me and my son directly from OtterBox.

baloo2944

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
I bought the Commuter case for my S4 after having one on my iPhone 4s, and love it. I bought it at Best Buy, and they price matched to Amazon, so I saved about $10.

CrossClown

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
I haven't had a problem with my Commuter case; it fits just right and dust doesn't get inside the case of anything. I bought a Zagg InvisibleSHIELD too just because I didn't want to wait for the spigen glas.t to be delivered and I'm paranoid about my screen protection but so far so good (I'll eventually switch to the Glas.T, probably after a year of use). The people reviewing on the website must be ridiculously critical about the case so I wouldn't follow what's on their website.

trucky

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
One thing about Otterbox, their customer service is the best in class. If you have have any sort of problem you can contact them and they fix it. Period. It's a high quality case and well worth what you pay to protect your phone.

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
I haven't had a problem with my Commuter case; it fits just right and dust doesn't get inside the case of anything. I bought a Zagg InvisibleSHIELD too just because I didn't want to wait for the spigen glas.t to be delivered and I'm paranoid about my screen protection but so far so good (I'll eventually switch to the Glas.T, probably after a year of use). The people reviewing on the website must be ridiculously critical about the case so I wouldn't follow what's on their website.

I noticed on some of those negative reviews, where there were "like" or "dislike" votes it was hotly contested. On some of the most negative, the "dislike" of the negative was enormous--like 20 dislikes for 2 likes. Written reviews don't always reflect majority opinion. They reflect people who are especially motivated to write, and that is often negative.

The one accurate criticism I thought was that the case is not very sticky. I wish it was a bit less slick, with more resistance to sliding. At least, it is far less slick than the phone itself and easier to pick up. Of course, if they'd made it stickier, I imagine the next you'd see would be a wave of complaints that it sticks when people try to pull it out of their pockets. Shrug. ;)

---Have you tried the Defender screen covering (since you say that's a concern)? I was interested in that when I finally went with the Commuter, but I wasn't willing to go for it without a chance to actually see it in action. It looked interesting, though, adding a layer on top of the screen.

queenren

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
I'm using the Otterbox Defender case on my S4 and I love it! However, the defender for the Note 2 that I used to have was just awful. The screen protector didn't lay flat up against the screen. I had it replaced and the replacement was the same way.

However, I am happy to report that the defender's screen protector for the S4 is just perfect!

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
However, I am happy to report that the defender's screen protector for the S4 is just perfect!

Good to hear. Also, does that built in screen protector affect visibility any? I can't really see when I look at their video--it looks like it is thicker plastic.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance