Camera Experience Downgraded After Today's S4 Update

BobR1908

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
Hi all - I downloaded new firmware today (Telus - Canada) and when I went into use the camera it said "Camera Firmware Updating" and then proceeded to open the camera so I could use it. When I took a photo a "processing please wait" box came up and I could not take another photo until it finished. The camera was never speedy but I am noticing now that I really do miss how fast consecutive photos could be taken on my iPhone 5. I would not trade my S4 for the 5 or any phone but I am not impressed with how this firmware update made a slow camera even slower.

Anyone else notice this after the update? A "processing" box was never there until today's firmware download.

shoii

May 17, 2013
Visit site
Hi all - I downloaded new firmware today (Telus - Canada) and when I went into use the camera it said "Camera Firmware Updating" and then proceeded to open the camera so I could use it. When I took a photo a "processing please wait" box came up and I could not take another photo until it finished. The camera was never speedy but I am noticing now that I really do miss how fast consecutive photos could be taken on my iPhone 5. I would not trade my S4 for the 5 or any phone but I am not impressed with how this firmware update made a slow camera even slower.

Anyone else notice this after the update? A "processing" box was never there until today's firmware download.

Nope. You sure it's in auto mode? If you have HDR or some other mode it has to process the picture after you take it.

BobR1908

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
Nope. You sure it's in auto mode? If you have HDR or some other mode it has to process the picture after you take it.

So I did some further research and the processing box only comes up when in low light or dark. The phone is in Auto Mode but I don't see that processing box come up when I take photos in the light or a well lit room.

mhinc

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site

Yes I have the processing box. But it's only up for a short moment and I find that it's only up when it's a low light situation. And even then it's not up long. Honestly it's a cell phone camera. If you want a fast camera get yourself a stand alone. It's not that big of a wait or deal

Last edited:

jwn66

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Maybe the auto detect night mode was on like mine was, I'm 99% sure I had it set to off, and when I looked in options to see if there was anything new after the update it was set to on after doing the firmware stuff.

BobR1908

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
Yes I have the processing box. But it's only up for a short moment and I find that it's only up when it's a lot light situation. And even then it's not up long. Honestly it's a cell phone camera. If you want a fast camera get yourself a stand alone. It's not that big of a wait or deal

With all due respect to you it may not be and that is your personal opinion however we are noticing camera technology consistently advancing in smartphones as of late so that people are not in need of always having a standalone camera on hand. I have two Nikon DSLR camera's and appreciate not having to take them wherever I go. All my post was saying was that the time to process one photo on an S4 is quite slow and when you are trying to capture a moment the ability to take consecutive photos and fast is a welcomed feature.

I stand by my point, I love my S4 and would never trade it or rid of it for another phone currently on the market but the camera is slow. No denying that.

mhinc

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
With all due respect to you it may not be and that is your personal opinion however we are noticing camera technology consistently advancing in smartphones as of late so that people are not in need of always having a standalone camera on hand. I have two Nikon DSLR camera's and appreciate not having to take them wherever I go. All my post was saying was that the time to process one photo on an S4 is quite slow and when you are trying to capture a moment the ability to take consecutive photos and fast is a welcomed feature.

I stand by my point, I love my S4 and would never trade it or rid of it for another phone currently on the market but the camera is slow. No denying that.

If you have 2 DSLRS then you should understand how ISO and aperture work, and how you are better off having a short time for the camera to process a low light situation, than not process at all and give you a grainy, garbage picture. Your Nikon does the same thing, only much faster as it's meant to do.

So long story short. You can either have crappy, grainy pics on your S4 like before the upgrade, or you not worry about a short processing wait to correct a low light situation.

BobR1908

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
Maybe the auto detect night mode was on like mine was, I'm 99% sure I had it set to off, and when I looked in options to see if there was anything new after the update it was set to on after doing the firmware stuff.

This was the issue, I had to turn it off and once I did everything was ok. Still wish the shutter speed was faster on the S4, it is the only gripe I have about it.

mhinc

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site

And you are correct, this was NOT on before the firmware, I checked and mine was on as well, I turned off AUTO DETECT NIGHT SHOT and the processing is gone.
But still it's for low light photos and it makes sense

lghotra

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
Do u have problem with fb chatheads. Mine chathead only appears when I am in another app and then disappears asa I go to home screen.
it was fine before update. I tried reinstall ing messenger and fb. But nothing worked for me.

BobR1908

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
Do u have problem with fb chatheads. Mine chathead only appears when I am in another app and then disappears asa I go to home screen.
it was fine before update. I tried reinstall ing messenger and fb. But nothing worked for me.

I have not experienced this issue myself to be honest.

Posted via Android Central App

MagicMike Kelley

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site
I have to tell you, I have been with Android since it's inception. I had the OG Droid, the Droid 2 and then until recently the Droid X2. They have NEVER done a good job with the camera. It was slow to open, buggy (it'd freeze and reboot the phone), slow to take pictures - forget about consecutive pictures. I avoided using it at all costs...it's always been bad. The S4 camera is light years better. If I rotate the screen there is ZERO pause. If I take a picture there's no wait...at first I didn't even realize it had taken the picture! The quality is awesome. I can't wait to play with it more!

I'm not saying there aren't legitimate gripes here, but from where I'm coming from the s4 camera is amazing.

sun5hine

Nov 8, 2013
Visit site
And you are correct, this was NOT on before the firmware, I checked and mine was on as well, I turned off AUTO DETECT NIGHT SHOT and the processing is gone.
But still it's for low light photos and it makes sense

Where can I find the auto detect night shot. I checked the camera options but didn't find it. I have a note3

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech