View Poll Results: Would you have bought the S4 if Samsung didn't include SD card slots?

Voters
64. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

19 29.69%
  • No.

45 70.31%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree52Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Would you have bought the S4 if Samsung didn't include SD card slots?

Would you have bought the S4 if Samsung didn't include SD card slots?

Default Re: Would you have bought the S4 if Samsung didn't include SD card slots?

lol i havent even used the sd slot, its not a deal breaker IMO

Default Re: Would you have bought the S4 if Samsung didn't include SD card slots?

If it was a 64gb model then I would. Otherwise, the One would of had a chance.
    But that is not the case and I have the 32gb model AND a 64 gb sdcard!

From my 32gb GS4 via Tapatalk

Would have made me want it more.
    ಠ_ಠ
    제리

Probably not. I have music and pics on on the sd card from 3 prior devices, along with the apps that can be moved. The sd card and removable battery are a must for me.

Posted via Android Central App using my awesome S4!

I would not have bought a 16GB with or without an SD card. I do love my 32GB S4 though. Waiting for the SD card problems to work out before I get one.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    614 Global Posts

Absolutely not!

Nope.

Nope.......Already had and HTC without it....did not enjoyed it all ......For me deal breakers are: SD card and removable battery............
    monsieurms likes this.

only if 32GB or higher were available.
    Lumia 925 w/Black, Nexus 5 (32GB), Moto X (32GB), Lumia 1020, Google Edition S4, Galaxy S4 (32GB), S4 Active, Nexus 4, Note 2, Galaxy S3, Galaxy Note (ATT), Galaxy Note Intl., Galaxy S2 Skyrocket, Nexus S, Atrix 2, Atrix, Galaxy S1 Captivate, Nexus 7 (32GB), iPad 4, Dell Venue Pro 8
    and yes...an iPhone 5 too...

Probably not...I cannot stand phones with only internal memory...from my experience they suck for media users like myself
    - Using the Galaxy S5! -
    monsieurms likes this.

Oh course not... expandable memory and removable battery are a must for me on any phone...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using AC Forums mobile app
    URGE likes this.

Global Posts
    75 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Hildenbrand View Post
    Hello from a Hildenbrand in Maryland, USA!

Now in answer to the OP, It would have made me think harder about it. I probably would have purchased the 64gb instead of the 16gb version. However I do like the fact that it has one so I can just take out the card if my phone were to ever die on me and not have as much risk losing my photos. (although I do have my dropbox account set up to automatically backup every photo taken)

I might have. When I got the phone I was overdue from Verizon and my Droid X2 was not performing well. At the time my Verizon options were the S3, the DNA or wait a month for the S4. I would have picked the S3 over the DNA because of the SD slot but it was a close decision. The way the question is asked I'm not sure if I should assume the S3 had an SD slot or not, though. If it didn't have a slot I almost certainly would have waited for the S4. If the S3 did have the SD slot I might not have waited and just got it instead. However, if the S4 had a 64GB option I would have definitely got it instead.

Really, the SD slot for me is just a way to make my phone my MP3 player. I'd either need an SD slot or at least 64GB of internal memory to replace my iPod. I have around 30GB of music, so unless I can fit all of it comfortably on my device, I won't use it as a music player. That means 32GB devices are out. If I can't get either then I just won't replace my iPod yet. That's what would have happened with the DNA or a SDless 16 or 32GB S3/4.
    skipatrol likes this.

After coming from 4 different versions of iPhones I've learned to live with out a memory card slot, but since it does it makes a perfect holder for my 64GB Micro-SD card so that it doesn't get lost ...

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Hildenbrand View Post
    I hope your sarcasm is not lost on others ... because that made me smile.
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

Quote Originally Posted by Not Quite Right View Post
    After coming from 4 different versions of iPhones I've learned to live with out a memory card slot, but since it does it makes a perfect holder for my 64GB Micro-SD card so that it doesn't get lost ...
    can't wait for the 128GB Sandisk MicroSDXC cards to come out...

MicroSD capability and removable battery should be in every decent smart phone.
    Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

Thanked by:
    monsieurms, skipatrol and URGE like this.

I predict that those that require a micro SD card for their phones will be very disappointed in a couple years. I don't think that feature will stick around. Internal memory will get bigger and they'll just drop the SD card altogether.

Quote Originally Posted by garublador View Post
    I predict that those that require a micro SD card for their phones will be very disappointed in a couple years. I don't think that feature will stick around. Internal memory will get bigger and they'll just drop the SD card altogether.
    I believe you to be right ... I don't think internal memory will even increase at all, everything will be cloud based storage, or streaming media. We're almost there as it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Not Quite Right View Post
    I believe you to be right ... I don't think internal memory will even increase at all, everything will be cloud based storage, or streaming media. We're almost there as it is.
    I think we're much closer on internal storage getting bigger than we are on cloud based/streaming media being viable. It will take carriers either getting rid of or greatly increasing data caps for streaming to be cost effective for most of us. Paying $50 at the time of the phone purchase for more internal memory comes out to about $2 a month. So if it costs even $2.50 more per month to get unlimited data rather than a 2GB limit, just to be able to have all of our music with us, then it still wouldn't be worth it. Economically it will make more sense to have a phone with a lot of storage than it will a plan that gives you lots of data. Plus, people like big numbers when they look at the specs for their phones.

So I agree that several years down the road cloud based storage will be viable so we won't need a lot of internal storage, but I think we'll get big internal storage before that happens. In other words, I think the cost of storage will drop faster than the cost of bandwidth, though I am most excited for the latter.
    queenren likes this.

Global Posts
    4,092 Global Posts
    ROM
    None

Quote Originally Posted by Kiersten_Kress View Post
    Would you have bought the S4 if Samsung didn't include SD card slots?
    Probably not.
    Unless Sprint had the 32GB and 64GB versions for $200-$250 on contact.

Sent From a Galaxy S4 Away
    If I'm very clever, and I'm more than clever, I'm brilliant! I might just save the World, or rip it apart!

Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    ROM
    Droid Inc JB 4.1.1

Considering the 16gb S4 ships with about 50% of that available, I couldn't buy the S4 without a place to store all my photos, videos and music.
    "I thought I wanted a career. Turns out I just wanted paychecks."
    Copy Referral Link. - Start with 15GB of space. You and I get 5GB extra! No limits!
    Dropbox Referral Link. - We both get 500MB extra.

Quote Originally Posted by fantom305 View Post
    Nope.......Already had and HTC without it....did not enjoyed it all ......For me deal breakers are: SD card and removable battery............
    Word. Both are required. And I don't even care if it is a 64gb model. I want my SD card for media files and they aren't all going to fit one way or the other. In fact, the more space you give me, the more I can use for media files.

Quote Originally Posted by garublador View Post
    I
    So I agree that several years down the road cloud based storage will be viable so we won't need a lot of internal storage, but I think we'll get big internal storage before that happens. In other words, I think the cost of storage will drop faster than the cost of bandwidth, though I am most excited for the latter.
    The cloud is NEVER going to be a perfect solution, at least not with anything resembling current technology. For the foreseeable future, there are just too many difficulties, from poor reception, to roaming data charges. It's a particular concern since I travel a lot.

I almost never use Google Play because I have an SD card. My sd card is way better than Google play. My SD card plays for free whenever I want it to, whether my phone is on or not. If I'm conserving battery and am in airplane mode (or actually on an airplane), my SD card doesn't care. It doesn't need a connection. Connectivity is all well and good--until suddenly it's not there. Anyone who's tried walking around a foreign country on vacation knows that answer.

Internal storage is not in the foreseeable going to keep up with my need for space. I have a 64gb card with about 6 gigs free. Even a 64gb storage phone, assuming the costs come down, won't satisfy my configuration. There still will be some apps and what not on the phone itself, OS, the manufacturer's own software and so on.

I might add, I can think of ways to use whatever space I am given. As it is to maximize my music library I convert down to 192 from 320. It would be nice not to have to bother. It would be nice to add some classical stuff I don't have room for. It would be nice to bring some full length videos that might take around 4gb each.

Give me space, I'll use it. Plus, with a card, my essential configuration for data is all set up. Get a new phone? Flip the card. I'm up and running. Not much copying to do for media files, ebooks, mp3s etc. Easier options for backup, too.

Cards are also pretty cheap and they tend to get a lot cheaper with time.
    Last edited by monsieurms; 07-24-2013 at 02:24 PM.
    skipatrol likes this.

There's no way I would have unless there was at least a 64gig model available. I already had a 64 gig SD card for my s3, so just dumping that was not an option. Made much more sense to get a phone i could continue to use it with.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast