Theory about battery life, air view, belt pouch, nfc

starbuckk

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
Since I got my phone, I've had battery life all over the board...anywhere from 30 hours of battery life down to 7. I've blamed Yahoo Messenger, GPS, Air View, several other things. So I've been taking some time trying to figure it all out. And here is where I'm at so far. Yesterday I made several adjustments, particularly to air view and gesture settings (mostly turning on some things). Today, my battery barely lasted 6 hours. The significant thing I noticed is every time I pulled the phone out of my belt pouch, the phone was hot, like it had been on. And screen drain on the battery was showing around 71%. I recharged again, left the phone sitting and found that most of the heat was gone, except just near the top around the camera lens. And I still saw heavy battery drain.

I turned off air view, topped off the phone again and let it roll. Now after a few hours of use, the battery power only dropped about 5%. In fairness I also had logged out Yahoo IM. But the phone did not overheat in the pouch.

So now my theory is, the Airview feature is causing the phone to activate inside the pouch. If this proves out, does this mean a defect? Or an incorrect setting? Shouldn't the proximity monitor be protecting that from happening?

Now my second thought is, if this is to be expected, maybe I need to look at a way to turn off airview while the phone is in the pouch. I'm thinking NFC. Would putting an NFC inside the pouch that cuases this to happen work? Is there a danger in leaving the phone in close proximity to NFC? I believe NFC is meant for touch and remove, so not sure putting one inside the pouch is a good idea. And would there be a way to reverse the action when the phone is REMOVED from the pouch?

I just grabbed the BetterBatteryStats app in hopes of trying to chase this down.

Any other thoughts?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Also try Wake Lock Detector, which can tell you which apps are waking the phone up or keeping it awake.

I don't have an S4, but it would seem to me that something like Airview would promote battery drain. Does the battery drain occur that fast if you have Airview on but don't have it in your pouch or pocket?

fantom305

May 21, 2011
Visit site
I do have an S4 and I can tell you that Airview does not promote bettery drain or the drainage that you are stating. You really need to analize every single setting that you have. For example why do you need to have NFC on at all time if you are not transferring any files, pictures or videos ? Having automatic sync on will drain your battery because your phone is constantly transferring data to and from your phone, GPS, WIFI, will also deplete your battery. Untick the auto brightness and lower it to a comfortable level. Like I said check every single setting and find out what it does and if you need it on all the time. Just to give you an idea: I have air view, air gesture smart stay, smart scroll, multi window and screen rotation on, and my battery is showing 75% left after 13 hrs, 22 minutes of usage. the biggest user today was the screen with 58% of usage and time on of 58 minutes and 7 seconds. Other days that would vary according to talk usage but will always withing limits. When I do a lot of internet and talking I will have around 30% by the time I go to bed and put it to charge again. You have something running in the back ground that is making the phone hot....check google+ and google music.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Those are very good points, but I still think it's worth comparing the battery drain with Airview on and the phone in the pocket/pouch, compared with Airview on and the phone not in the pocket. Again, I don't have an S4 so I don't have direct experience with Airview, but perhaps something about the pouch or being in the pocket is activating it?

fantom305

May 21, 2011
Visit site
Those are very good points, but I still think it's worth comparing the battery drain with Airview on and the phone in the pocket/pouch, compared with Airview on and the phone not in the pocket. Again, I don't have an S4 so I don't have direct experience with Airview, but perhaps something about the pouch or being in the pocket is activating it?
Totally agree with you ................

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I do have an S4 and I can tell you that Airview does not promote bettery drain or the drainage that you are stating. You really need to analize every single setting that you have. For example why do you need to have NFC on at all time if you are not transferring any files, pictures or videos ? Having automatic sync on will drain your battery because your phone is constantly transferring data to and from your phone, GPS, WIFI, will also deplete your battery. Untick the auto brightness and lower it to a comfortable level. Like I said check every single setting and find out what it does and if you need it on all the time. Just to give you an idea: I have air view, air gesture smart stay, smart scroll, multi window and screen rotation on, and my battery is showing 75% left after 13 hrs, 22 minutes of usage. the biggest user today was the screen with 58% of usage and time on of 58 minutes and 7 seconds. Other days that would vary according to talk usage but will always withing limits. When I do a lot of internet and talking I will have around 30% by the time I go to bed and put it to charge again. You have something running in the back ground that is making the phone hot....check google+ and google music.

I disagree. I have auto sync on all the time and my battery is fine. If I have turn the useful and cool features off just to have a decent battery that phone has issues.

Also yes some experience the issue with air view. My gf got the S4 and it kept turning on in her purse until I turned that feature off.. Now she seems better with the battery.

Sent from my T-Mobile HTC One using AC Forums.

starbuckk

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
The Airview feature is really fluff to me. I turned it on because it was there and wanted to mess with it but really didn't impress me much. Will experiment with a few other suspected causes, but the warm battery when I pull the phone out of the pouch is pretty strong evidence.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

fantom305

May 21, 2011
Visit site
I disagree. I have auto sync on all the time and my battery is fine. If I have turn the useful and cool features off just to have a decent battery that phone has issues.

Also yes some experience the issue with air view. My gf got the S4 and it kept turning on in her purse until I turned that feature off.. Now she seems better with the battery.

Sent from my T-Mobile HTC One using AC Forums.
Well I don't know what to tell you really ... I have on what I stated and I keep my phone inside a belt pouch and I don't have you guys problems ... right now after 10 hrs ........ there is 66% battery left ........ after playing subway surfer for a while ...

starbuckk

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
Im now thinking this is related yo signal strrngth. Battety drain seems to occur at work in a basment. 4g performs ok but 3 bars. At home using wifi, and out and about on 4g, no apparent problem.

I have BetterBatteryStats but don't understand all the indicators.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
That would definitely make sense. Go to Settings/Battery, see if Cell Standby is taking up a good amount of battery. Tap Cell Standby to see if there's a significant "Time without signal."

starbuckk

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
So far the theory is kind of holding up. Drain is not so bad after leaving office. The meters still are kind of pointing to the "Google Services" bug some threads are referring to, though I don't quite understand what that means or how to correct it. The GTALK thing is mystifying. Sounds like Google Talk which I do not use.

Also, "deep sleep" vs "awake". What switches the phone to deep sleep, vs awake? It was definitely not in use for three hours straight, or even close to that long.

2013-07-29 17.07.50.jpg

2013-07-29 17.10.13.jpg

2013-07-29 22.01.58.jpg

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay