Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Galaxy S4 with "cheap, plastic" back cover

The early reviewers were really pounding Samsung for the S4 plastic back cover. I have had a Ip4, a Galaxy S3, and Iphone 5 and now a S4. The back cover is a total non-issue. I have a nice case on my phone.( Element Atom case). The back cover on the S4 is actually very good if you want to change batteries or micro sim. It comes off very easily and fits back on very precisely. I have many Apple products and would have stayed with Apple for the next iphone, but I am not going to wait another 12-15 months for a larger screen. I am totally happy with my S4.
    Thanked by 3:

Default Re: Galaxy S4 with "cheap, plastic" back cover

I'm glad you agree. For reviewers it's either aluminium or the device is a piece of plastic crap

Posted via Android Central App

I'll take the "cheap" plastic back with the option to swap the battery and customize over an aluminum back with a non-sawappable battery any day of the week.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    6,211 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

I used to really have an issue with the S3's and now S4's use of plastic. I've had both an S3 and, now, S4. I love them.

1. The back cover is easily and economically replaceable. (check Amazon)

2. ...as is the battery.

3. I keep an Element Eclipse on my S4 anyways.

I, like many, am going to always 'case' my phone which was one of the major factors that made me realize the plastic is just fine...and I was a hard sell on that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using AC Forums mobile app
    Live long and prosper.

I've had a case on my S4 from the time I picked it up at the Big Red store. This issue of build quality is such a non issue.

Posted via Android Central App using my awesome S4!

I don't care that it is plastic. I do care that it is slippery and a finger print magnet. There are tons of plastic phones and tablets out there, some of which I own. None squirt our of your hand with the same enthusiasm as the S4.

Th is the first phone I have had a case on. That is no coincidence

Global Posts
    6,211 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

It seems like it'd hard to keep any phone lookimg good as new without a case and screen protector. I guess some folks don't care avout that but I have this disorder. ...I like all my stuff looking new for as long as I'm gonna use it.

Sent from myment Eclipsed S4
    Live long and prosper.

While i personally am not one of them, i could see feel of plastic over metal being an issue for some "if" they never planned to put a case on the phone. But, i also think that running with no case is just asking for a screen breakage, or some other form of damage. I doubt anyone who uses a cell has never dropped one ever, its going to happen eventually that your phone will decide to take a vacation in the direction of the floor.

At that point you have either the case that takes the hit, some even break apart on impact, or, your phone itself, and another thing to consider is, plastic will take a hit that would bend it, and it will bend back, metal will just bend. that aluminum by its design cant be that thick, so it might even offer less protection then the plastic that will act as a shock absorber.
    Thanked by:

There is nothing wrong with aluminum on the HTC One or the plastic on the S4. I think both phones are great.

Sent from my T-Mobile HTC One using AC Forums.

The glass on the back of my N4 shattered after 3 weeks despite having a case on it. My S4 has an Otter Defender case and the plastic is light, durable and removable. I like my electronics looking fresh & clean, but I'll take function over form everyday of the week. I really don't understand all the complaining about it, looks pretty nice to me!

S4 via Android Central App

Quote Originally Posted by Kilgore Trout View Post
    I don't care that it is plastic. I do care that it is slippery and a finger print magnet. There are tons of plastic phones and tablets out there, some of which I own. None squirt our of your hand with the same enthusiasm as the S4.

Th is the first phone I have had a case on. That is no coincidence
    this.

there are plenty of great electronic devices made of plastic that look and feel really nice, none of which are made by Samsung.

I don't use cases, but had to put one on the S4.
    ಠ_ಠ
    제리
    adriandb likes this.

what looks worse, having a plastic back or having your phone plugged into a wall like a landline half the day? For less than the price of a Mophie juice pack you can get a spare battery charger and two spare batteries...

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Hildenbrand View Post
    this.

there are plenty of great electronic devices made of plastic that look and feel really nice, none of which are made by Samsung.

I don't use cases, but had to put one on the S4.
    That's your opinion.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    350 Global Posts

Ford! Chevy!

adriandb likes this.

Don't see what the big deal is with the plastic back. And no matter what kind of plastic or other material it would have been made out of, I would have put a case on it. So at least for me and those who like to protect their investment its a non issue.

Quote Originally Posted by skipatrol View Post
    That's your opinion.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2
    He didn't claim otherwise.

There are a lot of devices that are made out of plastic that don't feel like toys. For whatever reason, Samsung doesn't understand that shiny plastic with faux textures are as bad as you can get. At least with skeumorphic software you can choose something else. With skeumorphic material design, all you can do is cover it up. (And really, if you're going to the expense of making plastic look like metal, wouldn't it just make more sense to use metal in the first place?)

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2
    adriandb likes this.

Doesn't feel like a toy to me...

S2 owner here-
    I personally think the 'cheap' back cover is a plus.
    I am a strong disbeliever in phone cases (why ruin the naked look/feel with bulky plastic). This is the easiest phone to get the back off of I have ever owned.
    I own 3 batteries for this phone, and swapping doesn't murder your fingers.

I drop my phone on hard surfaces at least once every three months. When it falls, upon impact, the cheap cover explodes off- ejecting the heavy battery, thus saving the lightweight hardware from slamming into the ground.
    At least that's the way I look at it.

I've dropped my phone on hardwood, tile, concrete, and asphalt from chest level at least a dozen times and the only damage done was scratches to the edges of the body (which I have fixed with a black sharpie).

Sent from my SPH-D710 using AC Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by graysonk95 View Post
    S2 owner here-
    I personally think the 'cheap' back cover is a plus.
    I am a strong disbeliever in phone cases (why ruin the naked look/feel with bulky plastic). This is the easiest phone to get the back off of I have ever owned.
    I own 3 batteries for this phone, and swapping doesn't murder your fingers.

I drop my phone on hard surfaces at least once every three months. When it falls, upon impact, the cheap cover explodes off- ejecting the heavy battery, thus saving the lightweight hardware from slamming into the ground.
    At least that's the way I look at it.

I've dropped my phone on hardwood, tile, concrete, and asphalt from chest level at least a dozen times and the only damage done was scratches to the edges of the body (which I have fixed with a black sharpie).

And the cover on the S2 is fine. A little bit of texture does wonders. I didn't even hate the cover on the Galaxy Nexus, and it really was a flimsy cheap hunk of plastic :P

I don't mind that they made it out of plastic. I understand their reasons, and think they are good reasons. Samsung just has a love affair with slippery, shiny plastic as of late.

I really wish they offered a rear cover that had a different texture as an accessory.
    ಠ_ಠ
    제리

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Hildenbrand View Post
    And the cover on the S2 is fine. A little bit of texture does wonders. I didn't even hate the cover on the Galaxy Nexus, and it really was a flimsy cheap hunk of plastic :P

I don't mind that they made it out of plastic. I understand their reasons, and think they are good reasons. Samsung just has a love affair with slippery, shiny plastic as of late.

I really wish they offered a rear cover that had a different texture as an accessory.
    Exactly. It isn't that it's made out of plastic, its the finish Samsung chose. There are bunches of good smart phones that are made out of plastic that don't have that cheap of a finish.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2

I think the s4 is just fine as is. I very much like the look of it and the way the curves fit in my hand. Some people don't like the finish but it would seem that most do. Hence it doesn't mean that the finish is wrong or bad.

I went from an iPhone5 to the S4 and I don't like cases on my phone so I just have a screen protector and the feel of the plastic back never bothers me

Sent from my GT-I9505 using AC Forums mobile app
    Samsung Galaxy S4, iPhone 5 64GB, iPad 3 16GB, Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0,
    Thanked by:

I have had iphone 3gs and 4s both had otterbox defender on. The day I got my 4s I was told by person at best buy to get a case because the phone backing was made out of glass she dropped her's on tile from mid chest area and the back glass shattered
    (I had bought the defender night before) that phone has been through more including a replacement case (the lower back section of the main cover broke)

It takes longer to get the batt off but its worth having a nice looking phone so when you sell it it brings more. I might get otter box defender on my gs4 but waiting on element to respond back..
    Current phone- AT&T galaxy S4 16gb. 32gb storage. otter box defender. running MF3 ota, rooted and safe strapped
    rom slots 1, used for flashing test roms. my daily driver is alpha v10 on rom slot 2
    old phones- Blackberry curve-> iphone 3gs->iphone 4s->galaxy S3->galaxy S4

If we're debating the slipperiness of the covers, then yes, they have gotten horrendously slippery.

I have no problem with the cheapness, its the fact that from the S2 to the S3 and S4 the cover is no longer textured.
    IMO a textured cover makes the phone look sturdier while adding a small amount of grip.

Maybe we'll see a texture comeback with the S5, because even hardcore Samsung fans won't be able to put up with the same design year after year.

Global Posts
    6,211 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

I think Samsung realizes that many (if not most) use a case so whether they texture the backside is inconsequentual to most. If you're concerned about the slickness of the back cover you're prolly more likely to be using a case. I know there are folks that insist on using their phones naked so they can stuff them easier into the front pocket of their skinny jeans but is this the majority?

Sent from my Element Eclipsed S4
    Live long and prosper.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast