Completely at a loss. Broken S4 that wants to stay broken...

Monolith1c

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I'm completely at a lost and finally feeling defeated. 2 months ago I spent $840 on an S4 and a random hard shell case (they were sold out of Otterbox's). Two days later I drop the S4 from about 4 feet and it cracks the screen as well as ruins the digitizer so I could tell the phone was working, but I wasn't getting anything at all on the screen.
I cursed a bit and then went on etradesupply and dropped $270 on a new screen + digitzer. It came and I installed it only to have the touch not work. I had to peel back the old digitizer and screen from the front housing and it was my first time doing something like that so I figured I screwed up and was too rough and broke it.
So I go back to etradesupply again and this time buy a screen + digitizer with front housing so I can just pop all the old parts into it... I just put them in and fired up the phone and still the touch screen isn't working. I'm at a loss now and have no idea what to do. I can't afford to put into more money into this phone. It's already cost me over $1400 which is a completely ridiculous amount as is it just for a phone.

I'm on the verge of burning it and just going back to a flip phone. Any ideas? I've been watching YouTube videos like crazy trying to figure out where I might have gone wrong, but I can't seem to find anything.

The weird thing though is that I have a lot of trouble connecting the display + digitizer cable to the mainboard. I place the main board in and I have to push it up in order to connect the cable, and then I have to force the screw into the mainboard to seat it properly. In turn this puts a slight kink in the cable from the screen. The same thing happened with the first replacement screen I bought, but I thought I just screwed up when I aligned it on the front housing. It makes me think that the insertion clip on the mainboard for the display may not have been seated perfectly at the factory. But since my screen cracked when it dropped it voided all my warranty, or that's what Samsung told me anyway when I called them.

Thanks in advance...

Armifera Fatum

May 18, 2013
Visit site
That's a crazy way to blow 1400 bux.. should have scrapped it soon as you knew it was broken after you dropped it :/ from what you described it doesn't look like you have many options left & even if their was would it really be worth dishing out more money? You're almost at the cost of buying a brand new one since you're already at 1400 :x

Posted via Android Central App

Monolith1c

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I know, it's hurting me to even think about it. I just figured for sure the second screen would fix it. I have never broken a phone before and generally keep them for years so I figure I would still get my moneys worth... ughhh.

msavic6

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Any reason why you didnt send your device to Samsung for a screen replacement. It would have likely cost you the same or a bit less than what you paid for the replacement parts.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21