root or not

Millzey13

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
Hi

Can anyone tell me how much storage they have freed up by rooting and clearing bloatware etc?

Also if I was to root and clear out the junk I don't want if I unrooted will that restore back to default or just be unroofed without the bloat etc.

Sorry if dumb question first android phone and never rooted b4.

Didn't think I would want to but this storage issue is really getting on my nerves!!

Posted via Android Central App

HPferoxCraft

May 8, 2013
Visit site
It will depend on how much bloat you remove and if you do a complete factory wipe or not, and what Rom your using or not. Couple gigs maybe.
If you unroot you will not get anything back unless you have made a complete nandroid backup of your phone.
Do not go in blind, read and read and read and make sure you're following instructions completely for your model and carrier of phone. Breaking your phone is a very real possibility.
Take notes of what your doing and make sure the first thing you do after root is make a complete nandroid recovery backup and save it on you pc.
Good luck.

hakimmmmm

Jan 14, 2012
Visit site
It actually depends on your ROM . are you going to flash vanilla ROM like CyanogenMod ? Then you will free up to 3gig but just rooting and removing bloatware won't give much of a space

Sent from my One using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Millzey13

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
It actually depends on your ROM . are you going to flash vanilla ROM like CyanogenMod ? Then you will free up to 3gig but just rooting and removing bloatware won't give much of a space

Sent from my One using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Hi thanks for reply I think I'm going to leave it. My tarrif has an early upgrade clause so I might do that at some point and get the 32gb. Just a bit pissed that a phone of this calibre has next to nothing storage.

MagicMike Kelley

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site
The bloatware just pisses me off being there...I don't want to see it.
I'm planning on rooting for different reasons, but I won't do it until they come up with a stock flash recovery.
I don't see storage as a big issue with the SD card...memory is cheap!

trucky

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
Hi thanks for reply I think I'm going to leave it. My tarrif has an early upgrade clause so I might do that at some point and get the 32gb. Just a bit pissed that a phone of this calibre has next to nothing storage.

It actually has quite a bit of storage, relatively speaking, for a smart phone. Are you being affected by a lack of storage or having application issues because of it? Hopefully you have a decent sized MicroSD card and have all of your photos, videos, audios and other data going there instead of on the internal device memory. I would say most on here have the 16GB model and find it is working quite well for them. I ran out of storage once on mine then I found out I was saving my titanium backups to internal memory... dohhh. Never had any issues at all other than that and I add and delete apps all the time.

HPferoxCraft

May 8, 2013
Visit site
I think this OP has games that aren't moving to the external SD.
That's a pretty nice bonus of rooting is backing up the game onto external storage so you don't have to re-download and can reinstall when you want.
Rooting is pretty quick and easy (unless your MagicMike Kelley lol), there's no harm in researching it for your device anyway.

HPferoxCraft

May 8, 2013
Visit site
I think there is one with a LOKI patch, I was casually looking around yesterday but didn't read up to much about it. Search your phone with recovery in the search string at XDA. (you probably already know all this).

Millzey13

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
It actually has quite a bit of storage, relatively speaking, for a smart phone. Are you being affected by a lack of storage or having application issues because of it? Hopefully you have a decent sized MicroSD card and have all of your photos, videos, audios and other data going there instead of on the internal device memory. I would say most on here have the 16GB model and find it is working quite well for them. I ran out of storage once on mine then I found out I was saving my titanium backups to internal memory... dohhh. Never had any issues at all other than that and I add and delete apps all the time.

The internal storage is awful. I've always had I phone 16gb and you would get at least 14gb of that. I mean that the phone comes otb with roughly 9gb,now that's not a lot when some games are almost 2gb each. I have a sandisk sdhc card whicjlh is perfect for all my music etc but I have 5gb of apps on my phone plus the crap that came with it etc and I'm left with 3gb tops to play with. I'm just not comfortable with rooting.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
If you have the latest firmware (I'm not sure what carrier you are on), rooting may be a challenge. The latest update for Verizon, for example, locked down the device pretty hard.

Be sure to look for specific instructions based on the model/carrier you have!

HPferoxCraft

May 8, 2013
Visit site
I'm just not comfortable with rooting.

That's why you research it all for your device model and carrier and reread and reread and watch videos until your comfortable and ask questions when your nervous.
I don't recommend anyone blindly just do it.
But when you have extra time throughout a day go to XDA site and look up your model and just read until your comfortable.
There are a lot of benefits.

What model and carrier do you have?

Millzey13

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
That's why you research it all for your device model and carrier and reread and reread and watch videos until your comfortable and ask questions when your nervous.
I don't recommend anyone blindly just do it.
But when you have extra time throughout a day go to XDA site and look up your model and just read until your comfortable.
There are a lot of benefits.

What model and carrier do you have?

Gt. I9505 Tesco mobile (pretty much o2) and yes I have new firmware.

HPferoxCraft

May 8, 2013
Visit site
You just had to make it complicated didn't ya? Joke.
I'm not familiar with this varient hopefully someone else here is and can help.
Look up under samsung galaxy s4 I9505 android development forum at XDA.