Anyone know why this is happening?

fofjjsr

Android4life
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
Why is Google services using so much battery. I just started using battery guru app, but I don't hunk that us the problem. Is something with the Google Chrome Beta app running those services? Is there a way to see what is causing it to run? The first picture is from this morning when I woke up. So the screen had been off most of the night. The other is from about midday yesterday.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AC Forums mobile app

Attachments

• 1375365850704.jpg
    1375365850704.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 109
  • 1375365865573.jpg
    1375365865573.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 109

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Why is Google services using so much battery. I just started using battery guru app, but I don't hunk that us the problem. Is something with the Google Chrome Beta app running those services? Is there a way to see what is causing it to run? The first picture is from this morning when I woke up. So the screen had been off most of the night. The other is from about midday yesterday.

That seems like a lot. Mine hardly shows up on my list (I have an S3 though), but have you tried clearing cache in recovery?

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site

I *could* be, but first of all, "Google Services" is a very general process (it could reference a multitude of things), second, it *can* be normal for that service to run at a high percentage, ESPECIALLY when you're looking at such a small time frame as shown in your screen shots. It is obvious that no other apps were in use, I'd actually expect Google Services to have a very high percentage in that case.

You would definitely need to check after several hours and after using the phone normally to really verify that this service is consuming more resources than normal.

fofjjsr

Android4life
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
Just never noticed it that high before is all. My battery if hasn't been quite as good either. I notice it dropping faster. Could Battery Guru be helping more than helping? I thought it was a good app.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Just never noticed it that high before is all. My battery if hasn't been quite as good either. I notice it dropping faster. Could Battery Guru be helping more than helping? I thought it was a good app.

I have Battery Guru, and it seems to work quite well. I know that on my phone, it's quite normal for "Google Services" to be high, especially if my phone has spent a lot of time in standby...

Example:
Screenshot_2013-06-21-20-05-01.jpg

fofjjsr

Android4life
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
It's probably just me monitoring more since I installed Guru. I never paid a ton of attention to battery usage until now. It just didn't look normal to me. Thanks for the replies.

Using the Big Red Samsung Galaxy S4

Seth_Overbury

Jul 3, 2013
Visit site
Mine randomly started doing this also and was really draining my battery (almost half of what I was previously getting). I turned off Google Now and it stopped. Now it only shows about 8% of battery drain as opposed to the over 30% it was showing. Not sure why it started having this problem. I like Google Now, but I like battery life more.

I have not tried turning Now back on since and I do not use any battery apps.

Besides that, I get a solid days charge.

fofjjsr

Android4life
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
Mine randomly started doing this also and was really draining my battery (almost half of what I was previously getting). I turned off Google Now and it stopped. Now it only shows about 8% of battery drain as opposed to the over 30% it was showing. Not sure why it started having this problem. I like Google Now, but I like battery life more.

I have not tried turning Now back on since and I do not use any battery apps.

Besides that, I get a solid days charge.

Does Google Now have its own process? Because I use its voice function all the time. I hope it's suddenly not a battery drain.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Does Google Now have its own process? Because I use its voice function all the time. I hope it's suddenly not a battery drain.

Google Now will use a bunch of processes, including Google Services, location services and others. Turning off Google Now will definitely save battery. The voice function is a feature of Google Search, you don't need to have the full Google Now enabled to use it.

Paxdad

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
Turning off location services can help too. The option to use wifi to determine location uses a lot of resources. I left Google Now on and just turned off the location option and it has made a noticeable impact.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk HD

Seth_Overbury

Jul 3, 2013
Visit site
So how would I deactivate Google Now specifically?

Go into Now and then settings. Turn off 'Google Now-All Cards' option at the top. This will then also give you the option to turn off Location History. You'll want to check that box too.

Its a nice feature, but it uses a ton of location services which show up under Google Services. I think it is not worth it at this point.

Seth_Overbury

Jul 3, 2013
Visit site
Turning off location services can help too. The option to use wifi to determine location uses a lot of resources. I left Google Now on and just turned off the location option and it has made a noticeable impact.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk HD

I tried that too, but it caused my weather widget (beautiful widgets) to not update properly. Any ideas on why?

fofjjsr

Android4life
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
I tried that too, but it caused my weather widget (beautiful widgets) to not update properly. Any ideas on why?

It needs that function to update. My Battery Guru stopped working as soon as I turned off wifi/Google location services off.

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
Mine randomly started doing this also and was really draining my battery (almost half of what I was previously getting). I turned off Google Now and it stopped. Now it only shows about 8% of battery drain as opposed to the over 30% it was showing. Not sure why it started having this problem.
If you check your location history on Google Maps:

https://maps.google.com/locationhistory/

You might find that your battery started getting worse once it started tracking your location accurately. My battery was much better with Google Now and location history on for a while, but it, for whatever reason, assumed I was at home all the time so I'm not sure the location tracking was working right. Once it started tracking me correctly it got worse. I'd be interested to hear if others have found the same thing.

Exemplar4

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
I've installed and uninstalled battery guru a couple times to compare with juice defender and just running the phone without any battery saving apps. I realized that my phone lasts longer without any battery saver apps. In fact, when battery guru is in its learning mode, and sometimes after that, Google services kills my battery. When I'm not using battery guru, google services never shows up for me.

Posted via Android Central App

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
I've installed and uninstalled battery guru a couple times to compare with juice defender and just running the phone without any battery saving apps. I realized that my phone lasts longer without any battery saver apps. In fact, when battery guru is in its learning mode, and sometimes after that, Google services kills my battery. When I'm not using battery guru, google services never shows up for me.

This is because Battery Guru uses location cues to trigger actions (which show up as "Google Services" if it's using Google's location). It is possible, depending on your use, that removing battery guru could be beneficial if the power savings it creates don't outweigh the use of location services. For me, I definitely get a significant battery savings with Battery Guru app.

fofjjsr

Android4life
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site

Ya this is what I was thinking. I never noticed Google services this ugh before Guru. Gonna uninstall it and see what happens.

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site

Are you using it to control WiFi? My understanding is that it uses location services for that (which ironically works better with WiFi on) so if you don't have any other apps tracking your location it will be the only one and show up as "Google Services".

I've been doing some preliminary testing on how often the location on my phone is checked using the Google API and with Access Location, Location reporting and location history on it appears to check my location about once every 40-45 seconds. An interesting note is I have geofences set up in AutoLocation in Tasker (it uses the Google API to check to see if you're in a predefined area) and my location seems to be checked with about the same frequency whether I have that feature turned on or off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz